Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Mystery clunk...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Gromit, May 12, 2005.

1. Okay, here's a newby-type tech question...

My bike's got 14,700km on the clock. Over the past week or so, I've noticed an occasional rattle or clunk through the bars when passing over sharp transverse ridges in the road surface.

Nothing major, the bike doesn't move around on the road, and it doesn't do it every time I hit a bump. It's only a small noise/sensation. But I can feel it, and hear it, and it didn't use to be there!

There doesn't seem to be any looseness in the bars & forks otherwise, and the bars turn evenly and smoothly through their arc. I can't duplicate the feeling by pushing or pulling on the bars when the bike's stationary.

So...something in the front suspension that only appears on short sharp impacts? Bearing problems? Any ideas?
  2. if you come down to the friday coffees I can have a look at it... (I'm hoping to make it this friday) other wise PM and well arange some other time... With my accross it is the front disk that does it... but from past expiriances it could be a nuber of other things...
  3. Ta, I'll do my best to get there tomorrow night.

So yours clunks too? I was waiting for someone to say "yeah, they all do that..."! :LOL:

I've not had a chance to prop the bike up with the front wheel in the air and see if there's any fore/aft movement at the bottom of the forks. But I doubt there'd be a problem with the steering head bearings given the mileage (and the bike's total inability to loft the front wheel!).

All ideas/suggestions will be gratefully considered. :)
  4. check the movement on the rear of the front plastic mudguard. (some)Ducati guards flex and hit the front tyre
  5. Sell it and buy a Spada. :)
  6. Allrighty then...

All ideas/suggestions except those put forward by pete the freak will be gratefully considered! :p :LOL: :p
  7. Update: on my way home tonight, something made me reach down and fiddle with the large bolt that sits at the pivot point of the handlebars (and holds them on???).

Hmmm. Finger tight - or should that be finger loose? I discovered I could unscrew it with my gloved fingers without any trouble at all.

I rapidly tightened it (!) and will investigate further in the morning. But I may have found the source of my rattle!
  8. Sounds like loose headstem bearings.......

Best not ride it until checked

9. In that case gratefully consider that it's nothing but your Across protesting that you haven't painted over that duck colour. :D

Mine don't clunk, (yet)... but that loose bolt of yours doesn't sound too good at all.

I agree it shouldn't be ridden very much until sorted out, we're reading too bloody many "rider down" posts these days.
  10. [Mr Humphries] Actually, I was quite taken by that attractive shade of pink on the Across over on that other thread. I'm free! [/Mr Humphries] :LOL: :wink: :LOL:
  11. The clunk's been banished - it was just the loose bolt.

Thanks for the advice & suggestions, everyone. :)
  12. Actually, I think Petes suggestion was the best by far :D
  13. gromit
    check your side stand , when i had my across , it would bang on the body when i went over speed humps etc
    i couldnt work out what the clunk was until one say rested my foot against it , and rode over a bump and it didnt do it , then i did the bump again and without my foot on it and it banged , it was the spring had lost a little tension causing it to bang on sharpe bumps , like those metal speed humps
  14. *Gromit writes Splashfire's name below pete the freak's in his little black book...* :LOL: