Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

MySQL, Postgress, and Linux

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by b12mick, Jun 24, 2011.

1. hahahaha

2. Re: Database Errors

I hear that the server is running Ubuntu 10.04 TLS, so, it should be relatively beige resistant.
  3. Re: Database Errors

Which could explain half the issues.

MySQL is crap. A scalable enterprise database is what is really needed.
  4. Re: Database Errors

and i realy understand what you guys are on about .....not..... alls i know is it didnt work
  5. Re: Database Errors

What are you thinking? PostgreSQL?

I think the default for MySQL is max_connections = 151, but if you have plenty of RAM, you can increase that substantially.
  6. Re: Database Errors

7. Re: Database Errors

Do you know how i know you know nothing about what you're writing?

/your post was sarcasm, right?
  8. Re: Database Errors

cause your a nerd?
  9. Re: Database Errors

Fixed ('cause I'm a bit of a nerd)
  10. Re: Database Errors

I run mactalk.com.au on linux using mysql.

It scales just fine, if you know what you're doing.
  11. Re: Database Errors

I tend to agree with Chrome, for Example Wikipedia, looks fairly scalable to me. :)

Wikipedia Server Layout
  12. Re: Database Errors

13. Re: Database Errors

Sorry Goz... those boobies ain't big enough ;)
  14. Re: Database Errors

Disagree, the boobs are more than adequate.
  15. Re: Database Errors

They look pretty good to me. Of course I could offer a more useful assessment if I could have a closer look. More interesting than mysql anyway.

My 11.04 has had a glitch in the auto-update for a couple of days. I had to google the msg and go terminal diving. Fortunately the one line command suggested worked just fine.

~$ sudo apt-get update

All good now.

When I was running the R1 Rider's Forum, it was built on WebBoard, which was built on top of MS Jet. (Access) That had a disgusting rep for not scaling, but given the very meagre equipment I had, and the volume of users and traffic, I thought it worked pretty well. There were performance issues, but they were mostly down to the hardware and the network.
  16. So much fail
  17. Re: Database Errors

Could get worse, perhaps try it in Sybase
  18. Re: Database Errors

"Sybase, an SAP company". I've looked at their site, and clicked the "Adaptive enterprise server - is it right for you?" It told me to request more information or call a customer service rep. I'll get back with a full report Monday.
  19. Re: Database Errors

Actually, Sybase ASE is pretty good compared to mysql, but mysql is just a toy for websites like this. One would never use it for enterprise work.
  20. Re: Database Errors

Mark Zuckerberg begs to differ.