Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

my throttle gets stuck open!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by hippo, Sep 25, 2007.

1. ever since saturday night i've noticed that my throttle gets stuck open which is really unnerving when i'm changing gears. it doesn't always snap back when i let go.

and it's not that i'm holding on too tight either, i checked it out when i stopped at a red light - opened the throttle a tiny bit and let go, and it stayed at about 7000 rpm

is there an easy way to fix this?
  2. Few drops of oil down the inside of the cable maybe???
  3. Sometimes moisture/condensation can cause crud to build up under the throttle tube on the handle bar.

Remove the throttle grip and tube and check. If dirty, any kind of surface cleaner should do the job.

If not that, try graphite in cables and check that the throttle link itself at the carby/injection manifold works freely.

If it's still doing it, then.... then... buggered if I know!!
  4. Probably needs a cable lube, or the twistgrip's moved to an inapproprate spot.

If you wanna drop round sometime, I'm in flemington and I've got a pressure cable luber. Send me a PM and I'll have a squiz. Should be a 10 minute fix.

5. Kinky bastard :shock: :shock: :shock:
  6. when mine did that on the zzr250, it was just dirty under the grip itself. i pulled it off and cleaned it out. lubed it up for good measure. never happened again
  7. wd40 fixed it up :)

8. Well, sometimes, when you're laying a cable, right...

Ah, never mind.