Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My Suzuki Intruder won't start

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Jamsq, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Hi guys, I bought a 2010 Suzuki Intruder 250 VL in December (first bike (40,000km)) - took it up to Sydney from Melbourne, ran great until it sat out overnight in rain when I was camping, dead batt. After a jump start, ran great and for few next days. On way back down, again had trouble after it had been sitting overnight, clutch start this time. Now it won't start, the electric start kicks but nothing. So... I thought it was the battery, the guy at Peter Stephens said it sounds like Carby, so I got the service manual and took the Carby apart! probably a rookie error. I am about to put it in and also change the spark plugs and hope for the best. It was very clean and I didn't muck with the jets.

The Air Valve spring was rusted and snapped in half that holds the choke cable, ordered a new spring, could this attribute?

Any other ideas?

2. How have you gone with getting your bike started?
    I wouldn't think that the broken spring would make it hard to start if it's been running OK until now. If the spring allows the choke to become ON when trying to start the bike, this could mean that it's flooding it. Best to renew that spring. New spark plugs might not fix the problem but will help in having a good spark to lite the fuel.
    Good luck
  3. Just an idea if sat all night in the rain ,could be an electrical fault.
  4. Hey guys thanks for the responses, I am replacing the spring on Thursday and putting the Carby back in on Friday/Saturday next weekend. Tomorrow new spark plugs and cleaning the air filters.

Then I will start to learn about electrics as well! cheers keep you posted.
  5. #5 Tinkerer, Feb 15, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
    The VL250's are usually reliable. But there is always a first for everything. It really could be anything. Need to check the basics. Perform spark jump test, compression test, & fuel supply. You have already started on the fuel system, but while you wait for the choke plunger spring you could check the others.

In the carb, pay particular attention to where the choke circuit gets its fuel from. It usually has a tiny hole which is easily blocked.

Also beware when refitting the carb & air boxes. Pay special attention to the vacuum & breather pipes which need to be connected properly otherwise it will not run right.

Also try & run a little oil down that choke cable, and put a little grease on the plunger & new spring. Seen a few seize up. A minor weak point on the VL. Make sure you put oil on those air filters after cleaning.
  6. Thanks mate, great info there, hopefully this week I'll get it going, I'm a little worried that I took the Carb apart and maybe off-set something. It was clean as a whistle, including the jet holes, it has been sitting out for a week though, I will clean up air filters and yes re-oil, but I am going to use 10/40w SAE as per the manual. Replaced the Spark plugs and not sure what to check after that. About using grease, I never have before, is it good to put grease on many things? can I use the chain paste on it?

Thanks again for the advice to the novice who wants to learn it all.
  7. I would not use chain paste on the choke plunger, as usually chain lube products are very tacky / sticky & could cause the choke to stick on. Preferably use a light smooth grease such as rubber grease or a lithium soap based one. You want the plunger to slide freely. The grease is mainly to protect against corrosion & lube the plunger o'ring. Only needs just a tiny amount, smeared around the outside of plunger. I also coat the spring.

Even though the cable has a rubber seal at the ends, moisture still seems to have worked its way in there. It could be that the factory just assembles them dry, and the moisture in the air is enough to corrode the parts.

Grease is good on some things, like lever pivots, but bad on others, like brake discs. If you are not sure if a part is meant to have grease or not, consult the manual or ask someone.
  8. Did you manage to get your intruder back up and running?