Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My story for small/new riders out there...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by pommiecat, Mar 5, 2011.

1. G Day All,
    Just back from my 1st motorcycle lesson. Here's my vital statistix...

Height:157 cm (or 5ft 2 in the old money)Weight: 48kg
    Prev Experience: car for 15yrs; Dads trail bike in UK - occassional rides in straight lines,off road only; Mums scooter when she wasn't home; pillion on Dads bike to Brownies.

So - booked 2 hour lesson, the learner bike; Yamaha Scorpio. Can't flat foot both sides but can lean a little to flat one foot otherwise, pretty steady on low tip toes. Clutch lever a little far for my reach so got a sore hand -no sookie la la...it's not that bad!

Progress: Within the 2 hours had managed to do slow u turns & circles, ride through gears upto 4th, gentle incline hill starts, stop/start etc all mostly with rear brake. All this practiced on quiet cul-de-sac streets so v little traffic to deal with. Had helmet intercom between me & instructor so was getting constant feedback which was great. Also got talked thru probs rather than keep on having to stop so got a good 2 hours of actually being on the bike.

My balance is good so enjoying those tight little turns! But I am riding the clutch too much and gear changes are bit clunky. Thankfully the Scorpio is a forgiving little bike!

Netx lesson (& I can hardly wait) is getting up to 5th gear, emergency stops and indicators...then I can join some traffic!

Hope this is helpful to new riders out there, especially the shorties! Don't let your size stop you!
    Pommie Cat
  2. sounds like your getting it..? :)
  3. Sounds like your having fun '' good luck .

who are you having lessons with ??
  4. The one on one riding with intercom, is a VERY effective way to be trained.

Sounds like you're doing ok, so stick with it.

I assume it is a private instructor?
  5. good stuff, sexy stats
  6. Well done you (from another small lady rider, Im 5 foot 1 inch) You will get the hang of the clutch very quickly judging by the great progress you are making.
  7. Thanks for the replies.

My instructor is Kathryn Beadman of Motorcycle Training WA. I wanted a female instructor because I reckoned that she would understand physically how to handle the bike from a womans point of view. I'm not being sexist, but most blokes are stronger and heavier than chicks. The bodyweight is distributed differently and that has to effect how the bike handles and feels.

Kathryn is really good, very patient and an experienced rider herself. She operates out of Thornlie/Gosnells/Southern River area but I'll probably do my assessment at Willetton.

Pommie Cat
  8. chicks still have strong thighs. for you, a little bike is a big bike.
    big bikes, it's all in the thighs and lower body
  9. Interesting .sounds like a good way to learn should be more of it ..

Ride safe
  10. G Day.

Had 2nd lesson yesterday just 1 hour this time. My instructor Kath was crook so had a guy named Paul, just as patient as Kath. We did a few loops in the cul-de-sac so he could check out my skill level (exceedingly low!) and then said we could go off onto the streets.

Heaps of practice with gears up/down, indicators, brakes etc and trying to maintain correct road position...seems like a lot to try and do at once. Excellent feeling getting up to 50km (don't laugh people!) it really does seem very fast!

I had a go at emergency braking and had only one rear wheel lock out. Still working on having confidence in the bike to NOT go out from underneath or something. I am tending to cover the clutch & brake with the fingers in anticipation of the stop which is a no no for assessment.

I wish we had the freedom of you Eastern Staters to get the L's on a bike and simply take to the road. Obviously the more time spent riding can only improve the skills but it could get really expensive having to do it with an instructor the whole time!

Anyway, that's the update.

11. Cool. Nice work. Are you in WA??? Having to do all your initial riding with an instructor does suck, but take advantage of having an experienced rider there. Drill them with every question you can think and some you just make up on the spot :D

As you get more practice and certain behaviours become ingrained you'll find that things become easier. But you'll always have to be concentrating no matter how good you become :D
  12. The seat height of a Scorpio is actually quite tall. I think there's still a few instructors who use the Suzuki GN250 which would probably fit you better.
  13. I'm about 150cm (4'9") so I'll have to say it was a little difficult for me to begin riding. Right now, I still only have 1 leg (ball of my foot) on the ground whenever I ride my bike. I suppose it just takes practice. I also totally understand how your clutch hand feels because my hands are damn small and my friction point is about 90% out. Hand ached for some time but got used to it and I think you build some sort of muscle there. Hahaha. Ride safe! Sometimes it's not easy being a learner.
  14. Lesson 3:

Had 3rd lesson this morning, conditions perfect & dry as per boring usual here in Perth. I told Kath about my 2 concerns; starting & stopping. Stating the obvious but I felt like the bike was going to stall with me in the middle of the road and car immediately going to run me down. At the opposite pole, felt like the bike was stopping where it finished rolling rather than where I wanted...so in a nutshell...I wasn't feeling in control!

In response to this Kath got me just riding around the burbs doing heaps of stop/starts getting better clutch control, and turning in/out of little cul-de-sacs. At the end of this I was feeling a lot more confident & actually only stalled it a couple of times. Kath also got me using the rear brake when taking off out of intersections to give the bike more stability. Throttle and brake simultaneously??!! I gotta get out of CAR mindset!

My problem is OVERTHINKING the whole thing. Kath picked this right at lesson 1 and she is correct. Same deal when I learnt to drive but in the end it all clicked & I am expecting the same here. I am in no hurry so just soaking up the learning experience :)

Next lesson: re-visit emergency braking, more stop/starts, dual lane work on major road with faster traffic!

Thanks for the comments, especially Lynda with same aching hand problem!

15. Thanks pommiecat.

I will be booking into Hart to get some training on a manual bike. I do like this set up though. I think you are lucky to have that in your state , dont think we have a company like that in NSW.

Good luck, I'm sure you will do fine.
  16. Hey it's all just a confidence thing once you have the basics right

The more you ride the better you get ..
  17. Not sure where you're from or if this type of training is mandatory but I have two thoughts about this.

What I like, the one on one with an experienced rider...
    What I dont like, the time between lessons...

I understand there could be financial/time reasons....

Good luck with it all... (y)
  18. ^If you read the thread you'd be able to answer at least your first two questions.
  19. =D> Keep up the great work!

Remember, riding a bike is just physics. Its bound to earthy laws. Once you start to sort out cause and effect, you don't need a degree in astrophysics to know how to ride. You just will.

With using the rear brake and throttle at the same time, its a great technique when at slow speed. It stabilizes the bike, giving you the balance you need to get around at slow speeds.
  20. Yep...anything under about 20 k's and i'm dragging the rear brake.
    Wize and best technique for any and all slow riding.