Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My story - Back to the beginning

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by 7Kawasaki, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Hi All,

Been awhile since I have been active in the forums. I am still a new member here....I got my learners early March and in all honesty have not been riding or should I say practicing much due to other commitments.

Last week I decided to really get into it and start practicing and went down to my apartment basement carpark and my Ninja 250 had gone (S T O L E N)...so a few days ago I have been dealing with my insurance and the cops...another day to tell the story...

Anyway, on a positive note, I have more money saved up for a better and newer bike (y)

I have been leaning towards the Honda's 300 / 500 ABS or Non ABS (perhaps even the Kawa 300). But I thought I would ask peoples opinions in regards to some questions I have.

1. With the new law changes, I have to be on a restricted bike for 3 years. Is it worth for me to get on a Honda 500 from the start as it is restricted anyway? From what I hear, the Honda 300cc is similar to the 250cc. I will sit on all 3 bikes next week before purchase....I guess I want to hold resale value when I sell it 3 years later.

2. I am very skinny. 177cm and 55kgs....(lol although I do plan to work out now...) not sure if this makes a difference? I know that a lot guys that started off on a 500+ cc restricted bike due to their bigger builds.

3. ABS or Non ABS - I did my research and now I am even MORE confused as to which one I should go for as its either yes go for it for safety and then no don't because you will rely on it...does anyone have any idea if (in the near future) ABS will become mandatory on bikes? Again on my question 1....I do not want to get a Non ABS model and when the time comes to sell....every bike has ABS etc.

Thank you for the time :)

2. Go the 500 I reckon, less likely to get bored of it in the first month compared to the 250/300

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Bummer to hear about your bike being stolen, that really sucks.

If I were you, I'd get a a bike with ABS. Mainly because it would just be an extra thing to keep you safe when you're still learning (keeping in mind that my own bike is a non-ABS version though)
    As far as getting a 300 or a 500, I'd simply say that it depends on how they feel. After all, as an L-plater it's not like you need to worry you're gonna outgrow your bike's capacity any time soon, you know? ;)

I think that same thing goes for the fact that you're skinny. Go with what feels okay, in terms of handling. If you can sit on it comfortably and reach everything and not struggle to keep the damn thing upright, I reckon you'd be all right. Obviously, that's just from an ergonomic point of view, and has nothing to do with the power of the bike.

When I chose my ride, knowing that I'll be on LAMS restrictions for 3 years, I simply went with one that one that feels comfy (so to speak) to ride, has more than enough power to keep me happy for the three years and that a lot of people recommended (I did have a few options I was choosing between). Hence, I ended up with a CB400, and I haven't looked back since. Could also be because my girl is just so beautiful and yellow, but hey, that's just superficial, right? :woot:

4. Regarding extended LAMS period: my opinion is you should not try to force yourself into a single bike for the whole 3 years. Sure, you will be restricted the whole time but your skills will change drammatically during this 3 years so your bike should change as well. You might find that you want to commute more on your bike even though you only planned to ride it on weekends. Or you might develop an urge to go off-road on two wheels. Or discover that you really need a bike with more comfortable riding position. You get the idea. So I think it's better to buy something that will make sense for you right now and then rethink your choice in a year and see if you're up to something different.
    You can for instance start with a 250 or 300 cc bike with reasonably neural riding position(like a kawy ninja for instance), learn the basics on this one, probably drop it a couple of times in the process(that's why I think buying used bike as your first one is a better choice than going for the new one) and then sell it after a year or so. At this point you will have a better understanding of what you want your new bike to be and better riding skills to back your choice up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Hi 7Kawasaki,

Well, I'm 178cm and 88kg's and from an ergonomics pov, I have not had any problems fitting any of my bikes.

When I got my L's a couple of years ago, I had a Suzuki VL250 Cruiser that I was basically bored with after a month, mainly due to the lack of power.

I then bought a Suzuki GS500F which provided more than enough power and riding was fun again! (Although I don't like having my legs bent up like a pretzel..:oldman:)

Once I was off my restrictions, I bought a Suzuki C50 Boulevard (VL800) Cruiser, mainly for the more upright seating position and I can stretch my legs.

My advice is to sit/test ride as many bikes that appeal to you as you can and then buy whichever bike fits you the best. (Personally, for a learner bike, (and depending on your price bracket, preferred riding position and/or bike style) I'd go something like a GS500, CB400, MT-07, KTM 390 Duke, XVS650 V-Star

Let us all know what you end up getting!!:p

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. it's a good point, you have to consider why you need a new bike. As for ABS it would be a nice option.

Some of the new Honda 500 are now available second hand, possible look.

7. I have a ninja 300 and love it. It is a different bike to the cbr500 in that it redlines at 13k where the honda redlines at 8.5k so they are different rides.
    I love wringing the ninjas neck and it loves to sit high in the rev range and makes you feel like you are going fast when you probably aren't.
    Either bike will be a great tool to learn on and maybe even hang on to. I bought a gixxer 750 and still kept the ninja cause it's still a blast to ride in the twisties

8. Hey mate. Suck about your bike being stolen. Do you have CCTV cameras in the basement car park?

I respect more experienced and understand why they may say don't get ABS. But, in my opinion...unless you are riding like a complete maniac, I doubt the ABS may not even activate 90% of the time. It's a nice feature to have, and it saves you once...it's done its job. I think you have also answered your own question i.e. if you are worried bikes without ABS becoming obsolete, get with the ABS and stress less.

My bike does not have ABS, and I have only just gotten my licence as well. 34 months to go before I have no restrictions...but who's counting. I think within the next three years there will be even MORE options for LAMS approved bikes. I agree with Siilk<br />
<br />
Siilk

, your riding and may change within the 3years. So don't worry about riding one bike for that period. It's always good to have options.

Keep us posted on how you go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Hey guys,

Again thanks for the helpful replies...I guess the best thing is to go and test ride / sit on them beforehand. I think the main thing I am worried about is $$$...I dont want to have to change bikes within the 3 year period (although it seems I might have to lol).

I am a big Honda fan so thats why I was leaning towards the Honda's but I guess being a beginning I shouldn't be picky ;)

Still unsure about this ABS business ugh. My friends tell me to get it but none of them seem to have it themselves! haha.

Yes so gutted...

10. Just dummy cameras....theres a camera at the car park gate but my building manager is %*#$ing lazy so who knows how long thats going to take. The cops were telling me how they could've loaded it onto a van or wearing hoodies etc. Sell the parts off. In all honesty, most cameras are useless unless they are HD ones (I know from work :p)

11. ABS is becoming the norm. You won't be able to buy a bike without it soon.

As you become a skilled rider you won't need it often but when you do it will save you a lot of pain.

Added: I have it on my bike along with TC. Together they make a huge difference to my confidence and pleasure in riding. I never thought I'd say that.

12. I found that the value I got from having ABS from the start was confidence in practising emergency braking. Having ABS isn't an excuse not to practise, as all it'll do is try to keep you upright. It won't help you stop.

If you're practising your braking and you know that overbraking won't be a risk of dropping the bike, you'll be a lot more comfortable creeping up to the limit.

Ideally, you'll try not to use ABS outside practise, but even then it's nice to know that if you hit a metal grate under brakes in the wet, you'll mostly maintain traction.

13. Hay 7Kawasaki, chuckle of a name for a Honda fan! :D
    Sorry to hear about your ninja being knocked off-it pisses me off that this happens.
    I am a recent rider also, still doing homework on a bike. Initially I looked a buying a 350CC, but now itl be a 650CC bike. Looking at a few diff options. Given where I live any bike would suit! It really boils down to what you are comfortable with, what type of bike you want and what you budget is. I agree with the previous comments of "dont assign yourself to 1 bike for 3 years" its a good sentiment,. ou may find that you want to go from a commuter to a cruiser, then to a road trail. Good luck and I await with much interest which bike you buy!

14. ABS: "it won't help you stop".

An expert rider, on a slippery surface, might be able to match or better the performance of ABS but not the average guy.

Having any kind of traction control gives you a lesson in grip - one that surprised me and I've been riding on and off for 40 years. In short, it shows you how much grip is possible on gravel or wet blacktop. And you can be ham fisted without a catastrophe following.

15. I was basing that on my bike, where even I can usually outbrake full on ABS. I'm sure that my ABS is fairly budget level and a high-end system could probably outbrake me, but if 7Kawasaki is looking at one of the Honda 300 or 500s it would probably be exactly the same system.

16. Hi there, I got a Kawasaki z300 for my first bike, and absolutely love it. I'm no expert, but friends that have ridden for years love the bike too. It has a nice upright position, seems really responsive in terms of throttle and steering - that is it does what I'm telling it to do! I got ABS as I figured if it works once it is worth it. I'm finding it is not something that usually comes into play, but is sure to be appreciated in an emergency. I chose the bike because it fit me perfectly - 170cms and about 70kg. Anyway, have fun with it.

17. Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

I have been busy with work + looking at buying a property...etc...

Although I did get my bike on Tuesday. After trying like 7 different bikes I decided to get a used Honda CBR 500 :):D(y):joyful::cat::happy:

Went on the road last night just to try the bike out and love it! Love the digital dash compared to the Ninja 250 dash (perhaps a good thing it got stolen lol).

I can't wait to practice more tonight and hopefully once I am comfortable being on the road I can come to the Sat morning practices.

I am considering the RideTek Post Learner Development Course if anyone has done it or has any opinions?

http://www.ridetek.com.au/courses-list/post-learner-skill-development-course/

Ill post a pic once I get home :)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Great news and congrats on your new ride. Stay safe and enjoy.:)

19. Excellent... good for you. Enjoy.