Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My Shannons and Experience

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by cejay, Aug 16, 2006.

1. As some might now, about a month ago I managed to have a really good accident on the Blade.

I thought I'd share the experience of dealing with Shannons, my insurer.

Saturday - Bin bike
    Monday, called Shannons to lodge the claim. They took all my details, initially asked for a police report number, but when I explained that the police told me that they don't have those numbers any more, it wasn't pursued.

I was told to get my bike to a repairer of my choice and preferably to where I bought it from or where it was serviced. Provided with a claim number, and dropped the bike off at Jeffrey's.

Jeffrey's arranged a repair quote within 2 days and contacted the insurer who arranged the assessor who visited and assessed the bike the following Monday. On Wednesday the claim was approved, with only a minor change to the estimate. So within 1 1/2 weeks the repair process was started a d all parts ordered.

The bike was returned on the 8th August, or just over 3 weeks from the accident.

Shannons also cover equipment and I damaged my jacket, gloves and visor. Unfortunately, these should have beena assessed at the same time as the bike, but they forgot to tell me...When I called, they asked me to provide a quote for replacement gear, which I faxed to them. Today I recieved the cheque for $680.

The whole claim process, from accident to recieving everything has been just on 4 weeks.

I've not filled in one form. I have had calls from Shannons asking me if I was happy with the pace of the repairs. I really cannot find anything at all to criticise in the whole process.

The only bad part is my loss of NCB as I didn't have this protected. Ah, you live and learn! Premium is going to do bad things next year, maybe they'll feel sorry for me being 40 :oops:

2. Sounds pretty good Cejay.
    I've been contemplating changing over to them.
    What would you have needed to do to protect your NCB? Pay more?

3. Pay more and thought about it...I never even asked, but will do, next time I get back to full NCB.

4. Thanks.
    They mentioned discounts for a number of vehicles. Sounded enticing. :)

5. Pretty sure Cejay that if you've been on rating 1 for three years - it will be protected....

6. I've got my car, bike, contents and house insured through Shannons... and got a nice saving in the process.

...I'm still waiting on my bike though... apparently not the repairers or Shannons fault... sigh.

7. yeah my bikes insurance is coming up for renewal in November - im with AAMI but only because i used to work there and got 50% off so it only cost me $700. I know shannons now insures you if you ride everyday.

8. yeah my bikes insurance is coming up for renewal in November - im with AAMI but only because i used to work there and got 50% off so it only cost me $700. I know shannons now insures you if you ride everyday.