Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My Project: Quad to Bike.

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Andyroo, Dec 29, 2008.

1. Hi all, I have a 200cc quad that I am planning to use the parts to make a 2 wheel bike from, It is a project I have been planning for a while. I have nowhere to ride the quad so I don't need to keep it as a quad.

I am currently looking for bike wreckers and stuff to try and find a Yamaha virago (or similar cruiser bike) frame with wheels,tires,tank and seat.
    **I would have posted a wanted thread for one, but im not 'special' enough to start a topic there**

Once I have found the Rolling frame I intend to mount the 200cc Shineray motor from my quad in it and use all the levers,cables etc from the quad to make a full bike just to have fun on.

I do not intend to ride the bike on public roads, I am mainly doing it just so that I can make my own bike.

2. I would nearly suggest selling the quad in working order and buying another bike to "build up/ work on"

though in saying that, I have no mechanical knowledge of actually putting the engine into a frame so might have to wait out to see if someone else replys :)
  3. :? :? :?
    If it's not for use on the road why on earth choose a cruiser for a project? Surely a dirtbike would make more sense, especially if you pick up a cheap Chinese one with a seized engine. In fact it's quite possible that your 200cc quad engine may be very similar to that used in some Chinese dirtbikes, which would make for a much easier conversion.