Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My pre-learners experience

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Chriss, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Hey guys just checking in.
    Just finished my pre learners at st ives, what a blast. no wonder people ride motorcycles.
    Our instructor was an experienced fellow named Tony, he is a champ. Clear instructions, lots of useful advice, patience and a fantastic attitude. I didn't run into too many issues, i tend to keep looking down(left over from mountain biking i think). A few things struck me which i wasn't expecting, the bike moved around alot without me doing a great deal (i am 110kg 6'2) which made handling it so easy, changing gears was easier than expected, rear brake feels essentially useless except for control in turning, the throttle response felt like a go cart..nothing nothing okay we're definitely going now. overall awesome experience and i think i'm going to go back for a few private lessons to get a little more confident with multitasking everything.

still eyeing the cbr500, so solid looking.

ps - eat before you go, take long sleeve clothing for hot or cold weather, my first day was 35ish(surface of the sun) and the next 20 with showers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. To add to the bike moving around for you, the thing that took some getting used to for me was the bike moving around underneath me at speed with all the road deviations etc. That took some getting used to. I agree with the back brakes being useless generally. I think the back brake is pretty much used for hill starts, helping you balance at low speeds (dragging the brake) and used in conjunction with the front for better stopping power.

Once you get more confident, you'll also start to look up more instead of right in front of you. Same as when you start out driving a car.

3. ChrissChriss If you go back for private lessons, ask if you can have David. I found he was an excellent instructor.

4. The only motorbike riding I had done before the actual learners test was a pre-learner course and I felt the exact same thing. Gear 1 was super jerky, although gear 2 seemed to solve that issue.

That is what I bought straight away after the learners, 2015 CBR500RA. I love it, although a huge step going from the 125 in a closed learners course to a 500 on the road haha. Lovely bike though, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

5. kewlies, thanks mate will do.