A month or two back I took ownership of a gpx/zzr 250 (dunno which, I through away the rego label after it fell off) that had been sitting in a mates garage for 4 years after being abandoned by the owner, who was the ex of my mates flatmate. Besides the damaged plastic it really didn't look in too bad condition. The major problem at the time being the lack of having a key so going to work with a hammer and flat head screw driver we succeeded in completely destroying the ignition barrel so that it could turn a full 360 degrees and yet somehow leaving the steering lock securely in place. Solid effort that. Next move was to drag it out of the garage and onto the road to take away some valuable roadside parking space from the neighbours. Once there we set about removing the hideous front fairing Kawasaki blessed these bikes with and trying to break the steering lock - including levering with a 2m garden stake, which snapped the stake. Having a look under the ignition barrel, some dickhead had secured it with tamper proof screws. A lack of interest at the time led to it sitting still while someone took away the discarded fairing (hope you like it). A call mid last week saying that council had come round and put an impound sticker on the bike led to action. The sticker was removed and we dragged it further down the road towards mine. Recruiting some professional help led to the triple clamp coming off the top, which was fun in it's own right as the forks had effectively seized themselves on and the bloody steering lock was still going through the worlds longest menopausal episode ever. A good bit of loosening and leverage on the barrel found the lock slipping over the top of it's housing and the triple clamp was free. Quick and light work from a socket piece relieved the tamper proof screws from their duties, leaving me with a mostly free to move (manually) heavy hunk of metals on wheels. It was readily apparent why we were so lacklustre when it came to breaking the lock, the damn thing had a total cross section 10mm lengthways and 5mm across (yet to check if it is steel or Al, either way no chance at all of shearing it). A bit of work with a screwdriver had the seat off and back end of fairings with it and I proceeded to actually go into the mechanicals of the bike, something I'd never bothered with before. Which proved to be an interesting experience. Mostly following this guide, http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_I_remove_the_carbs_to_work_on_them?, everything came off with relative ease, which I was expecting. I soaked the carbs in degreaser for a couple hours and gave them a visual. Nothing too bad, they should be able to flow enough for a crank when the time comes. Stick carbs back on, connect a few hoses. Reach this point - Slide carbs fully into airbox boots; slide spring clamps into locking channel. Not. Gonna. Happen. About two hours of considerable swearing and couple beers later, I had successfully fit one boot twice, and watched it slide off within seconds. The other boot wouldn't even sit flat over the carb but was pointing outward at an angle that can only be matched by the wheel camber on any given Penrith commodore. That was with the spring fastener in place - which would pop out of position as soon as I let go - and the rest of the boot would follow just quick enough to confirm that I was being mocked. So I threw in the towel. A quick call to a friend saw me heading down to the local shop to pick up some bits, and became the proud owner of two foam pod filters. I wanted the proper mesh ones in the usual pod shape but they didn't come in 50mm so I had to settle for second best. I came home and started hacking into the airbox for it's impertinence. I could't believe how many blasted screws were holding the thing together. I got the last laugh be viciously attacking the mesh of the filter with my Phillips head. On went the pods and my fears were confirmed, they were too wide and wouldn't go on next to each other. Which brings me to the end of todays tale and I'll be heading back to the store tomorrow morning and have them order some with a bent inlet nozzle (apparently they do stock them, hooray). Current things to fix. The locks, need new ones - ignition barrel, tank, seat. Headlight and light arrangement. Want some highbeams that burn retinas from 300m like Loz has. The general look - not sure if I want to cut the tail short and run it properly naked, or to stick the rear fairings back on. They do cover important items like coolant bottles and heat exchangers and fuse boxes but looks totally wank, so may have to go. Any advice on that? New battery needs to go somewhere now that I just threw it's resting place in the bin. Probably just put it back where it went with a new mount. Same goes for the included tool kit which I haven't even check out yet. Probably new clip ons. The controls seem to have four years of dead in them so rather than try and replace the box, might be simpler just to replace the whole lot. The right handgrip has gone to handgrip hell and the left one is going down the same troubled road of life. Crankcase breather needs to be sealed - not difficult, just easy to forget. There are pictures too, but they will arrive at a time when the time isn't 2:50am and the upload a file button works. If you really want to know and never seen one before, google kawasaki gpx250, possible keywords to add include "without fairings" "airbox removed" and "steering lock" to see the whole range. Now I'll leave you with some trance because I'm in a trance before hitting the bed mood.