Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My new CB400

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by Prickles, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Hey all, I have been posting in the Welcome Lounge showing off my new bike but I thought I'd post here too. First bike ever, only got my license a couple of weeks ago :D
    Love it

2. Hey great looking bike. Hope you enjoy it.

Join the cb400 chat in the bike review and questions section of this fourm.
  3. Congratulations mate, and entirely the right colour.
    Look at mine in this forum,.. Vlads GSX1400 - similar style, black, gold wheels, redd springs even...
  4. I had a CB400 as a loaner while getting my fireblade serviced just the other day. Sitting it up high in the revs is certainly their sweet spot, and a damn site more comfortable in traffic than the blade. They turn on a dime too.

That being said, I was glad to get my blade back :)
  5. Been doing a bit of reading about running it in etc and have been hesitant to rev it too much... Probably only been to about 9k - maybe 10k I don't know.. Having never ridden a bike it feels weird to have it rev so hard (7k on highway).

Oh well hope I'm doing it right!!
  6. Beautiful bike mate (y)

A shining example of the CB400 - well done
  7. If you brought it brand new make sure you break it in properly.
  8. Nice bike.

Ah Black, the new Black. Good choice.
  9. nice lookin bike, congrats and take care of it, got the oggies yet?
  10. +1

^ Listen to this advice - a wise word from a wise man..............

::End of line
  11. Yep got oggies :D
    and trying to run it in properly but the manual doesnt say a real lot about that
  12. Don't stress about that too much. Ride it the way you intend to continue riding it. Make sure the first oil and filter change is done on schedule. Try not have it sit at exactly the same speed and throttle position for ages - at least for the first couple of thousand k. Do try and get the throttle all the way open - at least briefly - at some stage in the first couple of hundred k. Try not to have it running non-stop in stop start traffic with an ambient temp of 45 degrees.

And have a good time - that's important for the emotional development of your baby. They're happier if you're happier.
  13. The 'run in' for my bike according to the manual was <4,000 rpm until 1000kms then <6000 rpm until 1, 600kms - pretty specific...

Did I do this? - HELL NO

My 'run in' period was a spirited mix of WOT at times (not bouncing of the limiter mind you - that helps no one)

As KneeDragon has said. Use the engine up and down the rev range - get the cogs spinning up and down the box and you'll be right.

You need to give the engine a bit of stick to hammer the piston rings and prevent lamination - in the end this will provide better compression, consume less oil and hopefully make a little more power.....

Enjoy (y)

14. I love hammering a piston ring

15. Thanks for the feedback guys! Just a question about sitting on the same speed or revs for a 'long' time - how long is long lol.. My work is 15 mins up the motorway - but I have been taking the back roads as well to vary speed and change gears often

Edit: it redlines at 13k, should I be going to just below 13, or just to 10? Thoughts?
  16. Get on the freeway and give it a squirt.....then take the next exit.....

A "long" time in this situation would be something like being in top gear on the freeway for > 30mins at the same revs without modulating throttle or speed......

Don't redline the engine (eg bounce it off the limiter) but do wind it out a bit......10K - 11K is fine.

How you get to 10k - 11k is probably more important......Don't just punch the throttle in second gear without much load on the engine and make it scream.....wind it up progressively in 2nd or 3rd (somewhere where you can get away with doing more than the speed limit) and let the engine push smoothly up to the higher rev range...this will help with conditioning.....

Giving the pistons and the bores a good work out now will actually "damage" the surface of these components (in a good way) to produce nucleation sites (microscopic "poc" marks in the material) These sites catalyse fuel combustion and help the complete burn of atomised fuel from the injectors.....hence - more power.

The converse is "lamination" which is excessively smooth surfaces on the aforementioned components = less compression, incomplete burn, less power (also leads to leaking seals, badly seated valves, high oil consumption and burn-off and poor fuel consumption due to inefficient burns etc etc etc.....)

I think you get the idea :D
  17. Sweet thanks heaps again. Do any of you know of any sites with animations etc of inside a motorcycle engine? How it looks/works etc?
  18. A simple and concise explanation here

More detailed representations here and here

19. Thanks BitSar, haven't checked them out yet but will.
    Appreciate the help

Edit: oops can't spell your name right :p