Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My LAMS dilemma.

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by SPEEEEDY_B, Jan 23, 2013.

1. G'day guys, I will make this really short since it is a fairly basic question but avoid flaming me if possible.

I've been riding since I was a kid both dirt/road and I only recently got my license because I lost it before I could book my L's! :unsure: But now that I have it, im stuck with a dilemma - To buy a LAMS approved bike or risk an R6.

If i buy a LAMS bike, i'm not only going to be bored, but it will be a waste of money for 15 months on my LAMS period. since I will buy it and sell it in a quick period.

Has anyone else had this problem? I want to risk buying an R6 and insure it through third party. If i still throw on P-plates will I be pulled over much? And if so, will there be SEVERE consequences? I know this is a silly question but it had to be asked.

Peace out - SPEEEEDY
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Try using the search function. It's been covered ad nauseum.
    The responses will be (amongst others0;
    1. You're an idiot because you will have an accident and insurance will not cover you
    2. We all break the law - good luck
    3. Buy LAMS and derestrict
    4. Etc
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Wow fair enough. Sorry I rarely have time to read through 740000000000000000000 posts, nor use the web, but i guess next time i shouldn't rely on the sole purpose of a forum.
  4. lol. You are using the web now!
    The forum is an arrived discussion of many topics. Try the search function as suggested and you'll save both yourself and others time.
  5. But basically, 109er covered it.
  6. "buy a DR650" should be in the top 4
  7. Nah ... ignore 'em.

I take it you don't have a bike as yet? OK ... get a lams bike, as the rules say to do, until you can move up and 'graduate' like the rest of us had to.

If you can wring the neck of a lams bike sufficiently without crashing then by all means move on to you dream bike when legally allowed. It aint too long to wait, and in the meantime you can perfect your skills both fast and slow.

Do it right. Do it once.
  8. Pretty much every bike cop would be gunning for you. The small chance that general duties would leave you alone would only be that they don't really know about bikes.

Having said that an R6 isn't exactly a low key bike. With a P plate on the back at that.

As others have said, do the right thing, your only asking for trouble.
  9. Not to mention, in NSW at least, it's illegal to let a person ride your bike if they are not licensed for it. There is the possibility that if you are pulled over, even for RBT, that the only way for your 'third party' insurer to not receive a fine is to claim you took it without their knowledge or consent.(ie stole it)
  10. Legalities aside, if you're paranoid each time you ride I doubt you'd be enjoying it
    • Like Like x 1
  11. #12 Blaise, Jan 24, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
    Yes, this has been covered over and over... and over and over... The thread smileedude linked is the latest in a long line of "LAMS isn't for me" themed threads albeit he used the "I'm arse is too fat for a 250" rather than your "I'll get bored/waste of money" excuse.

Just make sure you register it in your name... that way the cops can plate-match to your learner license. Oh, and displaying P's on an R6 would be akin to attending an all-black Souther Baptist church dressed in full KKK regatta.

Scott, you forgot "OP gets pissed off at comments calling him out as a douche resulting in a 3-day ban for abuse."
    • Like Like x 1
  12. you should be able to outrun the cops on the r6,
    therefore negating the risk of being pulled over,
    • Like Like x 1
  13. they all come outta the woodworks one after the other don't they :ROFLMAO:
  14. I don't get it. What are people looking for when they post this kind of "question"? Approval? Encouragement? Or is it simple trolling?

At the end of the day, you've got LAMS restrictions for 12 months after getting your licence. If you get picked up by the rozzers, you're going to get a fine and lose points, and possibly your licence. If you have a stack, your insurer will probably tell you to piss off because you're not legally allowed to be on the bike. Additionally, if any of these things happen, you're going to end up out of pocket in the future because your insurance costs will go through the roof.

It's up to you, risk it or don't. I don't care.
  15. Judging by your user name and your self stated previous record how long do you expect to stay clear of the traffic cop? I don't think you have a choice.
  16. What more do you want? I provided the answer to your question 3 minutes after your post that thread should provide more than ample reasons why and why not to do what you want to do.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Are you prepared to risk a criminal conviction if you get caught?
  18. they execute out of class riders by firing squad
    • Like Like x 1
  19. or sentence them to riding cruisers for the rest of their life - a punishment worse than death.
    • Like Like x 3