Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My intro to motorbikes...

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' started by Tbass, Jan 31, 2008.

1. Hi Everybody,

I have been lurking around this site for a little while now and recently joined so thought it was about time I said G’day and shared with you my journey into bike ownership (sorry if it’s a bit long)...

Well, for a long time now I have wanted to get a bike and recently it dawned on me that apart from a worrying wife there was nothing really stopping me from doing it. I had moved further away from work to an area with poor public transport and sold my second car (a Toyota Supra) to help fund a holiday. So with only one vehicle between two people and a few grand left over from the Supra sale it seemed like the perfect opportunity to bite the bullet and get my bike licence and a bike.

A couple of weeks ago I started a QRide course with Morgan and Wacker. Having very limited experience on a motorbike (a couple of times on a dirt bike in a friends back yard 10 years ago) I was a bit surprised but very excited to find out all I would need to do was a 1 day beginners course to get my open licence. After the day long course I realised that the Morgan & Wacker receptionist and I were totally delusional thinking 1 day was enough for a beginner – this motorbike thing was a lot harder to master than I thought it would be, so another 2 hours session was booked. Luckily for me, 30 minutes from the end of my next session everything kind of fell into place and I was able to overcome my natural instincts and trust the instructors and the bike.

One more two hour session was needed to complete emergency steer/brake and road ride. I returned to Morgan and Wacker last Saturday excited at the thought of finishing off my assessment and getting my licence. The weather was perfect and I was set to go. Unfortunately some of the instructors had come down with a mystery illness (possibly AustraliaDayBBQitis) and the people doing road ride had to miss out. I still got to complete my emergency steer/brake and with three different classes (including a beginner scooter class) using the one area there were plenty of opportunities to put my newly learnt skills into practice.

I then booked in to do a road ride on Tuesday this week. Tuesday morning I woke full of excitement to be met with heavy clouds. By the time I was ready to leave the house it was raining lightly and I was pretty nervous. The group suited up and we all nervously ventured out onto the road for the first time. Within about 20 minutes the rain was really coming down and the nerves were really keeping me on edge. Luckily there were no major issues and 2 hours later we rolled back into the car park, soaked but very happy.

Yesterday I headed out to look at bikes. I had already spent hours researching on the internet and had gone and sat on a few bikes so was pretty set on getting either a Kawasaki ZZR or a Suzuki Across. The first shop I went to had a couple of Suzuki GSF250v’s out the front and they were pretty comfy to sit on. I enquired about the price and was not really surprised to find out that they were way over what I had budgeted (I had $3300 and they wanted over $4000). I told the sales guy this and he said he would see what he could do. He comes back and says that as it is end of month they are happy to give a discount to get a sale - $3500 ride away but I had to do something today. I said I would think about and left to have a look at a few other bikes.

After having no luck finding anything cheap and decent at the other shops I went back and explained that I was keen for the bike and was willing to pay cash but could only go as high as $3300. They tried to squeeze an extra $75 out of me for transfer fees but I simply didn’t have the extra to spend. They must have really needed the sale because after checking with the boss they agreed to sell it for the price I wanted. I went back today with a wad of cash and I am now the very proud owner of a Suzuki GSF250V, 1999 model with 32000 km on it.

My first solo ride was a pretty big one (Springwood to Albany Creek) but apart from some nerves and having to get used to an unfamiliar bike it all went pretty well. I didn’t have the guts to venture onto the freeway so it was stop/start riding the whole way. First impressions of the bike...fun, but so different to what I am used to. I learnt on a BMW F650GS and the steering on the Suzuki feels much more sensitive. And boy does it rev more than the Bimmer. I’m riding along thinking I’m wringing the poor little things neck with all the noise it’s making but a quick glance down and it turns out I still have 6000 rpm to redline!!! I can tell this bike has a lot more to offer than what my skills can handle at the moment so I should be able to learn a lot from it and have a whole lot of fun while doing so.

I originally wanted to get a bike so I had cheap transport to get to work but I can already tell it is going to be so much more than that. I’m itching to get out on the roads and build up my skills. The cheap transport I get is just going to be a bonus to all the fun I am having.

Of course, this type of thread would not be complete without the obligatory new bike photos so here they are....

See you on the road!!!

2. That is just the prettiest little bike!!!!

Welcome to Netrider, and the fellowship of the road; the open air, the bugs in your teeth, and by universal accord, 'something I should have done years ago' :LOL:.
  3. Hi and Welcome
  4. hi and welcome and congrats on the nice bike
  5. At least the badge on that 250 is the right one. :grin:

Welcome to NR. :cool:
  6. Well done mate and welcome to Bandits. One day it will grow up to be like mine :LOL:

Take it easy and only do what you're comfortable doing.

If you're serious, bikes are NOT cheaper :LOL: :LOL: (dont tell the Mrs)
  7. Welcome to another Brissie rider!

Nice choice on the first bike might I add, should be a great commuter. Good luck with building your skills, and hope to see you out there soon :)
  8. Congratulations! Very nice little bike. You'll have loads of fun on it :grin:

And yeah, sometimes we'll use excuses like they're cheaper to buy, but they end up being just plain fun :grin: ...and you'll gradually "need" to spend more and more on your riding ... bigger bike, gear for every kind of weather, track days, bling, fuel for rides, better gear... :LOL: