Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My HID installation

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by MaxBiker, Aug 20, 2012.

1. here goes, finally got time to install the HID on my bike. Now you get to enjoy and decide if it is worth you giving it a go. I forgot to take a OEM night picture, so this will have to do. of course, everyone knows how bad the output is on these bikes. (Note, this is just a visual example, for different bikes you will need to look at your connections and fittings)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is the kit that I bought. I went with a $35 (including shipping) car kit (cheaper than the bike kits) from Ebay.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261046491665?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
    I went with a 35W 6000K light. the watch is there so you can have something to compare the size too.
    DSC00247.
    As you can see, the wires will probably have the wrong connectors for your bike, not a big deal.
    [​IMG]
    cut the connectors off
    [​IMG]
    Take the wires you cut out of the rubber boot (you will see why later)
    DSC00250.
    add on the connectors you require. I just cut the wire off of one of my old turn signals. I only did this to show you how it could be done, I changed both ends of these wires into a waterproof connector. if you want to know any info on these feel free to ask.
    DSC00258.
    once I got the bike torn down, before i changed anything, I plugged the HID in to make sure it worked. already looks good.
    DSC00259.
    after you check it, you will want to cut the boot off as close to the wires as you can. I didn't want to risk cutting the wires themselves, so I left a little chunk on each. not a big deal.
    You will want to look at mounting your OEM rubber backing onto the wires before you connect and install everything. Saves having to take everything off again.
    DSC00262.
    next you plug everything in and decide how you want to route your wiring and mount your Ballast.
    I decided the best way to mount my Ballast was on the side of the headlight casing with some Velcro. It doesn't weigh that much, so it should hold.
    [​IMG]
    And here is the end result. I can't give a rating on the kit just like this. I will have to see how it goes on my way home from work tomorrow night. But I do like what I see so far.

As for the kit, I think it was so easy and cheap everyone should do it if they drive as long as i do on roads without light poles.
    I felt it was harder taking everything off the bike and putting it back on than it was to install the new light.
    Any thoughts or questions are welcome.

Max

• Like Like x 3
  2. Good post mate. May try that.

Cam

3. Excellent 'how to' post - thanks!

4. The funny thing is, it was harder to type it all up and post the pictures than it was doing the mod. but always willing to share the knowledge for others.

5. Here is my review after first night ride with the kit;
    Before I start, I noticed my light is facing a little farther down than it should be and when I tried to adjust it, the adjuster was at max position. did some digging in the forums and had found that I was turning the adjuster the wrong way to go up. so right now, with this review, it is at full down. but I will be fixing that tomorrow before work.

when I first turned the bike on tonight to leave, I felt really disappointed in the lack of light emitting from the front. The color is now a light blue instead of a light amber (which I like) but it only seemed like a little more light range was added on with the new kit. (probably the adjustment) but once i got out to the areas on the highway with absolutely no light, I couldn't believe what i was seeing. I had so much visibility it was amazing. at the point in time where most people would want to turn their high beams on to be able to see, I had absolutely no reason too. I could see everything from the left side of the 4 lane highway all the way to the right side, clear as day. If you don't like a blue tint on everything, I suggest you look at getting the 5000K or even the 4300. But I really like the outcome of this light. it seems mostly normal on well lit roads and then once you get somewhere with no light at all, they do their job and you don't even have to worry about switching anything.

I give these lights a 10 out of 10. Why? I bought them because I couldn't see very well on the dark roads. And I felt that was a major safety issue. so I got exactly what i wanted out of them. Better visibility. I can finally see the crap in the road before I hit it.
    if anything changes once I make the adjustment tomorrow, I will post the info.

Max

6. Good work.

Apparently due to the way our eyes/brain are put together , given two lights putting out the same lumens you will "see" more light on the road with yellow light than with blue.
    The grey tarmac compounds the problem.

The true test is what yiou can actually SEE (ie what you can pick up in the beam) and you'l definitely notice an improvement.

I assume you did both high and low beam?
    Is there a noticeable "warm up period" when switching over to high beam?

7. no, I didn't do both. My Low beam is an H3 bulb and my high beam is a H1 bulb. with my bike it uses both low and high together when you turn on the high beam. so I only have my high beam as a backup for if the low beam burns out on my way home at night. (it has happened before). If your bike turns off the low when you hit the high beam switch, then you will notice a few seconds of darkness while the high beam warms up, same for turning the high beam off. this has been reported on other bikes that do this with the dual bulb set up. I don't know about the H4's that have both high and low in the same bulb.

• Like Like x 1
  8. you know HID stand for Hi I'm a Diukhead

9. not sure what that has to do with anything, but thanks for the heads up Rat man

10. What's a Diukhead?

11. So there was no need to upgrade the reflector, housing or lens with this kit?
    I had thought that the HID setup produced a lot more heat than normal quartz halogen globes and required a different headlight reflector and lens. I also thought that they weren't made for use in a standard reflector and worked with a projector lens setup.

12. HID bulbs are intended to be used with projectors rather than reflectors but they will still work. The problem is that your light beam will spray out to the sides and irritate oncoming traffic. Since I never gave a damn about oncoming traffic (anything that guarantees that the blind, inattentive clowns see me is a good thing, IMO), I never had any concerns about that aspect of using HID's.
    The Popo can write you up for it but I never had any dramas.

13. I have no idea, but my bike doesn't use a reflector type lense. all it has is the "glass eye", if you will, in front of the bulb. as far as i know, lots of people have done this swap on both bikes and cars with no problems.
    But I know nothing of that. I guess only time will tell.

14. d i c k head is that better

15. Yeah thanks rat, didn't want to be called a Diukhead and not know if I was being flattered or f..d over.

16. OK, thanks maxbiker and rainbow7 for the explanation.

17. If you had to give the conversion a rating what would it be. You said 10 out of 10 I know but interms of increase in light output what would you guess?

18. I can't give you an over all rating. There are many things that this can be applied to that have a different rating even though it is the same headlight. I can't tell you what you should con-sitter if I don't know what your unhappy with on your headlight set up.

I will give you some examples:

If you have no problems with your headlight setup and get along happy with it, don't change it.

If you ride 95% of the time during the day, don't even bother.

If your complaint is that you can't see when the roads are wet, don't bother. I haven't ridden in the rain with these lights yet, but I'm 90 percent sure it will just glare off the water like every other light set does. but I will report back once it does rain if that is not the case.

If you ride on well lit highways and streets at night, there is no point in doing the conversion. When I had my OEM light on, I couldn't see it at all on well lit roads. Once i changed over to the HID, I could see a little bit of the light on the road, but not enough to make it worth while.

now, the flip side is this:

if you can't see road signs until your about to pass them. These lights fix that. You can see reflective Signs, tape, cars, road barriers from as far as you can see. another plus is it lights up police cars like a disco ball at night.

one thing I also thought might help save me some frustration is with the beam being so much brighter some people may think there is a car next to them and not just move over while I'm there. but I doubt that will be the case, people do what they want.

anyway, back to more info:

If you ride a far way from the city on roads or highways that have little or no light, these will help. I couldn't see potholes, crap on the road or anything until I almost hit it. now I see it all a good distance in front of me and I have time to react.

If you hate having to worry about you high beam being on and switching it off every time traffic comes in the opposite direction, this will fix that. I feel there is no need to even use my high beams anymore.

If you like going out onto the twisties and are always worried about getting caught in the dark and not having enough light at night, this will fix that problem.

With the old halogen bulbs you maybe got 10 feet of light in front of you and that light wouldn't cover your whole lane, with these HID's, you get a good 50 feet in front of you, (more if you adjust your beam) and the width of it covers all 4 lanes on the highway i drive home on.

I can see animals (ie: Kangaroos, rats, cats, dogs... ect) way before I even get close to them now. doesn't feel like I have to take evasive maneuvers to miss them.

some other things to think about:
    A halogen light is prone to breaking due to high vibrations,
    An HID is not affected by high vibrations.

A Halogen bulb costs 10+ bucks (depending on which one) at your local car store,
    The replacement Bulbs for the HID cost 10 bucks for 2 with free shipping on E-bay.

An HID will consume less power than a halogen once it has initially turned on.

I don't know the exact numbers, but I know the HID last longer in terms of running hours.

hopefully that gives you enough info to make your choice.
    anything else you would like to know, just let me know.

Max

19. All well and good - until you come across a large 4wd with high-powered spotlights that has the same attitude.

20. Good feedback, thanks.