Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My harry potter needs help

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by redeagle, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Hey guys, I need some help with my horrible english...
    Here we go, a little piece of Harry Potter:
    "Could I -- could I say good-bye to him, sir?" asked Hagrid. He bent his great, shaggy head over Harry and gave him what must have been a very scratchy, whiskery kiss. Then, suddenly, Hagrid let out a howl like a wounded dog.

"Shhh!" hissed Professor McGonagall, "you'll wake the Muggles!"

"S - s - sorry," sobbed Hagrid, taking out a large, spotted handkerchief and burying his face in it. "But I c-c-can't stand it - Lily and James dead - an' poor little Harry off ter live with Muggles --"

"Yes, yes, it's all very sad, but get a grip on yourself, Hagrid, or we'll be found," Professor McGonagall whispered, patting Hagrid gingerly on the arm as Dumbledore stepped over the low garden wall and walked to the front door.............

What this phrase means "an' poor little Harry off ter live with Muggles " ???

I don't get that word "ter" !!!

2. HAHAHA... your problem here is that they are writing an accent into the text.
    In this context "ter" means "to"
    an' poor little Harry off ter live with Muggles
    and poor little Harry off to live with "Non Magic Folk"
  3. Oh my god.... Ok.... Now you have to explain how can I get that, being Italian and all that stuff!!! hahahahha!!!

So.... "off to live" means??? :grin:
  4. going to live with (going to stay at)
  5. "go and live with"

With Hagrid in Harry potty you need to read his speech exactly as it would sound.

When you've finished Harry Potter go and read Trainspotting.
  6. poor little Harry [BEING SENT] off to live with "Non Magic Folk"

*EDIT: Damn, you people are quick :p
  7. Nice way to spoil the ending for anyone who hasn't read the book yet :p.

And don't worry, some UK accents can't be easily understood even by people who speak English ;).
  8. Don't worry. That's a line from the first chapter of the first book from memory.
  9. But it's not the ending, that part was in the beginning of the 1st book :p
  10. Oh no, my complete ignorance of Harry Potter has been exposed :LOL:.
  11. Well, what can I say... You guys rule!!!
  12. HAHAHA It really shows how much we take out language for granted. Even my translation had a turn of phrase that needed translating in it.
  13. I'm sure he's aware of this and deliberately reading English to improve his language skills.
  14. If that's true he has chosen the wrong book :?
  15. This is true, the Harry Potter Series has so many made up words, and use of slang and the like that it is not a good book to practice language in.
    I wonder when it was translated did they change the accents? maybe in the italian version giving Hagrad a big Cicilian accent?
  16. Hagrid comes into view:

Muma mia! Arry Potter, come in, come in. Your nothing but skin and bone. Pudaway that wand, you sit, you sit. I getta you some spaghetti yes?
  17. I was thinking more something out of teh god father... but that works to.
  18. If you're going to learn the english language properly you really need to read Shakespeare anyway...