Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My guts are still churning...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Feb 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My guts are still churning, even hours and hours later...

I had the misfortune to lay eyes on a video that a fellow biker sent me... it's a 3 lane traffic scene, focused on a bend and it shows a biker getting tapped from behind by a large truck and then getting run over and mashed out of existence. :sick: :cry:

This vid has had a big impact on me. It's truly horrific. Infact, I'd say I'm partially traumatised.

This post is not about the vid per se' but what it reinforced in terms of roadcraft.

The bottom line is you absolutely MUST jealously gaurd and defend your space. In traffic, SPACE is your very first and most important line of defence. You can't afford to let your mind wander off. If you notice your mind wandering off, give yourself a clip across the back of the head and get back on the job.

Some pointers for safely negotiating traffic on two wheels:

Maintain as much space / buffer around you as possible.
    Position yourself for maximum visibility.
    Maintain a mental radar map of the traffic around you.
    Ride proactively.
    Defend proactively.
    When changing lanes, head check and speed up - then resume normal speed. (The speeding up will help cover for a crap head check as it will help clear the space beside you)
    Be predictable.

...that's enough from me. Ride safe.

2. Steady big fella, I know what you mean, especially after the other week on the Monash seeing that old guy get dispatched.

You can't "unsee" stuff, so if you've got the choice, choose wisely.

3. All good points Rob. You mention traffic space and not letting your mind wander off. I know I'm just repeating what you have said but these two points are critical.

Buy yourself space at every opportunity, there are many ways to do this. Use the brakes, use the throttle, use another lane most importantly use your head.

Mental space is every bit as important. Don't concern yourself with how you're going to get your knee down around the next round abouts, or how cool the guys are going to think you are when they see your new carbon fibre triple clamp cover. Think about where the cars are, what the camber of the road is, your road position, speed and gear, the road surface and environmental conditions. Sometimes it helps to talk yourself through complexe traffic / road situations.

4. Christ I hate those videos. I stopped watching them a while ago.

5. Rob if it's the one I think you are refering to then yes it even affected me to a point as I watched it a few times and couldn't get it out of my mind for a while.

However part of that was the rider and what he or she didn't do. I am not saying this would have avoided the situation but "watch you mirrors people"

No one gets that close to me without I move, even in the car.

6. I know this sounds so wrong but I need to see this for myself! pm me.

7. That's probably the one Davo. I didn't want to speculate on the apparent day dreaminess of the rider... just went for the salient points.

Cheers Doonx, Port.

Quarter I would have been happy not to have watched it, but my "mate" forwarded it to me with a "watch the motorbike rider" as the only guidance...

Stay vigilant folks!

8. I don't like watching those types of vids either .. seen a few :shock:
    However, I think that at times it serves as a reality check that all of us out there are vunerable to things we can and cannot avoid.
    Unfortunately, its always at the expense of a fellow rider. :cry:

9. whats "ride proactively" mean? :oops:

10. One of the things i hate the most that really winds me up on the road is tailgating. IMO it is one of the most dangerous practices there is. On the Monash the other day some tool was sitting on my rear tyre and for the first time in my riding career I was really genuinely fearful as for a few seconds I couldn't create space anywhere.

The F**ker applauded me when I managed to pull over and let him through.

...mind you he was too gutless to pull over when I suggested we have a roadside discussion about it :LOL:

11. Bloody good question... there are lots of answers.

One would be that you are "present" while riding, not day dreaming, and are maintaining full situational awareness of the ebbs and flows of the traffic around you. This is as opposed to just going with the flow in the hopes the other road users will look after you. It means assessing your position and asking yourself questions like "is this the best place for me to be?".

Basically, you are riding the bike and not just being a passenger on it.

Port's post touched on this point too.

12. +1 :WStupid:

13. Don't wait for things to happen around you and then react to them...
    Look for developing situations, and then take action ahead of time to make yourself safer. If you get suprised by something (and we all do), then basically you were'nt looking hard enough, or anticipating the traffic and conditions. It could be said, that the real difference between the experienced and not so experienced riders in traffic, is measured by the number of surprises they cop.

Always take control of the situations and space around you, and do something about it!

14. I'm glad I didn't see this vid Rob.

You are right about being constantly alert - it's essential.

I hear you Dougz :roll:

I always move into another lane if I have an idiot too close to me, however when I'm in a single lane I tend to feel very vulnerable. I was coming back from a ride on Sunday and had a tailgater try to intimidate me. Rob was behind me and the tool did the same to him. Fortunately we overtook him - and thankfully there was a long stream of cars so he was going nowhere fast :LOL:

Space is crucial.

I play a game by watching people in front and to the side (in front) and predict their inappropriate behaviour - 9 times out of 10 they do what I was predicting..i'm rarely dissapointed :roll: and rarely get a fright :)

15. Excellent advice! I 100% agree.

16. unfortunately there isn't enough respect about tailgating and space in traffic, everyone thinks as long as it's not their fault it doesn't matter and they do not consider the possible outcomes and concequences for other road users

have seen a few graffic car vids and they never sit well, space is one of our only friends on the road

17. This is the exact situation where i'm afraid of the most.....in traffic.

If i'm in traffic going 60kmh or freeway speeds 100kmh+ i find it hard to make space. Sure i can create space with the car in front but what if i have a tailgater on me? I can't speed up or change lanes. Since in traffic the adjacent lanes are bumper to bumper and going at a different speed to the lane i'm in.

I believe this is one of the most dangerous situations. I got a car in front which could emergency brake at any time; a car behind which is right up my ass; adjacent lanes full of cars going at different speeds to my lane and at any one point can decide to merge into me......and no real escape route should any of those things happen. And yes my mind is on FULL alert when i see myself in this situation. So much so that shortly afterwards i'm mentally fatigued.

Am i alone in thinking this? How do you guys deal with this situation?

18. i haven't been on the freeway yet but i tend to use majority left lane, slow down
    if that don't work, look for a hole in another lane and either go ahead for a new gap or drop behind the tailgaiting twit once in the new lane

but mostly pray for red lights so i can filter to the front into cage free space

19. The video Rob is talking about happened in China and the rider was on a scooter type motorbike.
    A bad intersection where traffic veered left or right.
    The rider veered right, the truck veered left.
    Rider seemed not aware of what was behind him/her and truck looked like it was too close.
    I won't describe the rest because I couldn't sleep the night I saw that vid.

20. This happened to me in Tassie when we were over there late last month
    going over the big bridge in Hobart I just could not shake this guy off my rear and I could not safely change lanes, He was sitting BESIDE me and then dropping to right behind me, when beside I could reach out and bang his bonnet with my hand

scared the living sh!t out of me and I was still shaking after I turned off to Lindisfarne and got away from him.

Though to tell a good cop report. I rang the cops straight away (love Tassies one phone number for the whole state) and they rang me back a couple of hours later to say they had pulled him up and spoke to him and he 'dobbed' himself in, so they booked him.

Rob I hate those videos and I feel your pain for watching them, sometimes our 'mates' just dont think when sending them on with little to no warning.

Tracey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.