Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My Front brake fluid is running low??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Sweeris, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Hi,

I'd just notoiced this yesterday with my front brake fluid reserve thingy on my handle bar. Its down to almost the low line on the reserve. A few weeks back It was still at full. I could only see a small bubble at the very top of the viewing thing. But now it looks like its needs to be filled up.

Yesterday after a few runs up and down yarra bld I noticed that the reservoir was getting low so when I got home I check for leaks along the line. I couldnt see any leaks. Where can the leak possibly be if I cant see them. This morning coming to work I was going to check for leaks again but it rained so theres no chance to catch where it could be leaking from...

Anyone have any ideas where it would leak or is this normal? (which I dont think its normal)
  2. Check the thickness of your brake pads. As the pad wears, the fluid level goes down.
  3. +1 ya brake pads are stuffed, 99.999% probably the problem.
  4. If you have refilled the reservoir be careful when you change the pads as the fluid will be pushed back & overflow.
  5. Fluid lever will also appear to change with very small movements in the handlebars, turn the bars till the reservoir is horizontal and check again.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. Thanks for the input.. I think i'll check my brake pads. How do you check the wear on the pads? :oops:

Also I checked it when the bike level when the handle bar is straight.
  7. Brake pads- look between caliper and disc, you will see where the brake pad and disc make contact.
    Some bikes will have a cutout in the caliper, allowing you to look through the caliper and see the pads, other bikes you will have to look from below and in front or behind the caliper.
    You will see the pad has a larger backing plate, and the friction material between the backing plate and disc.
    You want a MINIMUM of 1mm of pad thickness. Less means replacement.
    Also check for leaks. Wipe all teh brake lines down with a cloth. Hold the brake lever on hard for a minute, and look for any damp patches or weeping.

Regards, Andrew.
  8. Simple. Look at them, to see how much material is left. Get someone who knows to help. Brakes are only for slowing you down!
  9. Prob worth checking all the brake lines, banjo bolts, rubber tubing for leaks. Its always good to give the brakes a good look over.
  10. Thanks again for the input. I had a look again at the pads. Its still fine. Theres no leaks in the lines either. I had a couple of run through the brake lines already and still cant find the leak(if there is one).