Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My friend told me I ride like I have a broom up my A___!!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by student of insanity, Nov 15, 2006.

1. The other day I was discussing Stay Upright courses with a friend of mine who was doing the advanced cornering and braking this week. I told him how the intstructor on my Ls course told me I rode like I had a broom up my A__e (in those exact words)..

and my friend said "well you do"

When I recovered my composure I asked him how so????

Apparently when he was following me he noticed I never move in my seat, he said I lean ok but I am always stuck to my seat , like I had a broomstick holding me there....then he said I should be leaning my head away from the corner to get maximum vision???

I have since tried this and find it uncomfortable..I thought the idea was to go with the bike on the lean not against it?????.....was wondering what the general consensus on here is about which way to lean in the saddle?

BTW
    the funny part is that when he attended his course, they told him he is stuck to the seat like he had a broom handle holding him there too!!!lmao must be a theme they have..... :LOL:

2. S of I -

Just go with what's comfortable. Everyone has their own style, after all.
    Some like to lean, including torso, into the corner. Some hang off the seat even further into the turn. Others like to keep part of their weight - from the hips up - pivoted away from the direction of the turn.

As long as you're smooth you'll be fine. None of the various "styles" are particularly right or wrong until you get into the finer machinations of racing. So it doesn't really matter. Just be relaxed, and not stiff. Easy.

OB

3. Yeah don't ride with a broom up your arse, it's very uncomfortable and some people won't want to use the broom afterwards.

4. Hi soi
    ahem...
    Do you mean like this ?
    [img:540:350:d68b990928]http://fluxriders.net/fluxgallery/d/1339-2/Mike_Hailwood_1967.jpg[/img:d68b990928]
    If so then your in good company . Thats Mike Hailwood.
    Notice though, while not going overboard :grin: he is keeping his head somewhat upright. The theory is , as in a golf swing or walking a tightrope , that you have better balance by keeping your head as much as possible in the vertical plane.

5. There are many ways to take a corner, and more than one of them is right.

Some of the key pieces of advice I was given include
    Be sure to look through the corner (Basicly you project to where you want to go, and the bike will follow)
    Keep your eyes level. (So even if you lean your body, keep your helmet upright)
    Point your knee (By even just poinint your knee through the cornere to where you want to go, it brings th bike around)

Now where to go from there. The pointing your knee is the simplest action in turning (Not the most important, just easiest) But it leads to the more advanced cornering, hich is about moving your bumb over the seat towards the inner edge of the bike. this is entirely un-necisary for most riding, but helps a lot when you start taking a bike through twisty roads. How far you want to take this is entirely up to you. At the moment the real master appears to be Loris Capirossi (So go get a class or two with him)

The key though is not about moving your bumb, but with pointing your head and knee.

6. And here's me thinking the whole idea of riding a motorbike was staying on it.......
    Who cares how you ride, so long as it works for you and is safe.
    It's like golf swings "you must do all this exactly as the latest pro does". Crap.

Regards, Andrew.

7. Generally agree with the 'do what works for you' responses. And in fact, doing what you're currently doing (staying on the same angle as the bike) is arguably better than what your friend is suggesting, which is leaning your body weight *out* of the corner (if I read what you wrote right). (And with the proviso that keeping just your head more vertical is good.)

If you did want to start cornering harder, leaning your body weight inside the corner means you have to lean the bike less for the same speed/cornering radius combination, and that gives you more usable tyre/lean... but that's some time in the future, if ever. For right now, do what works for you, and don't worry about how it looks!

8. This is also very very valid.
    Though i personaly believe that even if you never use these techniques, having practiced them a little will give you a better feel of your bike, and so will put you in a position to move it around more confidently and comfortably. I bit like doing the whole swrve back and forth when you get going ... it is not necisary but just gives you a feel for the bike.

9. Hi K8 would really like to see this pic, could you try sending it again?

Cheers
    Lindy

10. Yeah thanks guys, I had pretty much figured that as long as I was comfortable and safe then it was all good, but I didnt want to develop bad habits either.

All the same I think i will aim towards an advanced course sometime in the next couple of months to see if can have a broom extraction! :LOL:

11. [​IMG]

There it is. :cool:

All you needed to do to see it was copy/paste this to your browser...

http://fluxriders.net/fluxgallery/d/1339-2/Mike_Hailwood_1967.jpg

12. Thanks

He really does look like he is stuck to the seat doesnt he?

I should get someone to take a pic of me cornering so I can see if i look like that too? (but without the extreme lean of course)