Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My First Wet Ride?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by patske, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Hey guys,

I'm contemplating my first wet ride as an L-Plater tomorrow. It's been raining non-stop on and off here in sydney for a couple of days. Thus I haven't been riding because of this. I was wondering if you guys could offer me any tips, I'm unsure of how slippery it actually is in the wet and I'm unsure if I can keep my line (in the dry tracks of car tyres on the road). When I drive I notice that the wet doesn't really make a difference since I don't drive like a hoon, but yeah how bad is it on a bike, just so I'm prepared when I get out there.
  2. I am sure there is a thread somewhere that deals with ret reather riding (sorry, it just seemed logical to start them all with the same letter)

Do a search and it should turn up.
  3. When it looks a bit damp I short shift up to second when im turning from a standing start, like at traffic lights. Um, thats about all I could say :) Just take it easy and you'll be fine, maybe a bit wet, but fine
  4. As has been said by goose... short shift; don't wind out in the gears... and you'll be right. Most importantly, take it easy.

Other things i do when its wet:-

- Avoid the centre of lanes... more oil & crud lurks there.
    - Try to get your tyres as warm as possible; the warmer the more grip (even in the wet)
    - Don't stop or accelerate on the white lines or road markings, their alot more slippery.
    - Don't snap the throttle open hard, or close it hard... easy smooth braking and accelerating will keep your traction.
    - Avoid tram tracks... if you have to go near them don't brake or accelerate whilst crossing them.

... etc etc etc...
    Other than that, it's not as bad as youd think. Just keep your distance, and watch out for the tin tops... they go a little crazy in the rain with their fogged up windows and cranked up heaters.
  5. I think rather than worrying too much about specifics, the most important thing is to be fluid.

Wet weather riding on a 250 really helps you learn throttle control, which you don't really need to worry about in the dry. Slow down earlier, give yourself more space to turn and keep your eye on the road surface.

Oh, decent wet weather gear is probably a good move as well ;)
  6. Patske, if tram tracks give you trouble you've got a bit of a navigation problem... :LOL:

Just take it gently and be smooth and you should be ok. More than ever, assume that drivers haven't seen you.

So far, I've enjoyed my wet weather riding. Wear decent gear and you'll be snug, warm & dry. Have fun!
  7. Did the same not long ago,

RELAX!!! Not as hard as I thought :D

Oh and as the previous post said decent wet weather gear, I found it hard to concentrate after a while as I was a little nervous but really cold and wet

8. thanks for the help guys :D

Yeah I don't think the tram tracks will be a problem being in sydney and all ;)
  9. Be greatful. They're scary :shock:
  10. I expected this to pop up in the joke section with that title :shock: . With what everyone said , make sure you give yourself plenty of braking distance . Just take it easy and you will be fine :D .
  11. Biggest thing to remember in the wet is all the idiots come out, ones who normally bus or train to work , and they do some wierd things :roll:
  12. I always came to the conclusion that it was just the regular idiots but just too busy sipping their double-decaf-mocha-late's on the way to work in a fogged up car too busy being happy & warm to notice anything that isnt bigger than their car.

When commuting from Fitzroy to Exhibition St, it used to be an interesting but short commute. In that short trip i'd usually get cut off once or twice, merged a couple of times, and encounter more than my fair share of tram tracks, slippery fresh road markings, and of course the mandatory diesel/oil at both traffic lights and mid corner (especially the intersection at Spring St!).
  13. Hmmm ......just noticed its about motorbikes!
    Bad Andy......very bad
  14. :LOL: :LOL: Your a bad man Andy.
  15. midnight is still waiting for his first wet ride :D :D :D :D
  16. my 2 cents? watch out for roundabouts ;)
  17. There are a number of things that can be done in the wet to make it a better and more enjoyable ride.
    1) Make sure you have good wet weather gear, either waterproof jacket and slipover pants or full wets. I've got both. Only need to wear the full wets when it's pissing it down. There is nothing worse than water running down the neck/back/waist when riding in the wet weather. Decent boots are also a must. Nothing takes away the enjoyment faster than actually being wet. It will cause you to get colder and more fatigued as well.
    2) Slow down - it's not a race. You don't have to continue at the same speed as the dry. Sure move with the traffic but don't be like Rossi
    3) Don't get the power on too early when cornering, can be very easy to get the back wheel to step out on you.
    4) Be smooth - you should aim to ride smoothly (throttle/braking etc) all the time but even more important in the wet.
    5) Don't grab brakes - very easy to grab a handful of front brake in the wet weather and lose the front end
    6) Increase distance - between you and the vehicle in front. In dry conditions they say you should have a three second gap, increase this in the wet
    7) Try to stay out of the middle of the lane if it's only been raining lightly or for short periods, it will be greasy from oil from cars/trucks etc. However, if it's been raining heavily for several days, most of this will have washed away. It's said that you should try and ride in the right wheel track of the vehicle in front, this is good most of the time but when coming up to intersections often the road can get uneven here (where the car/truck wheels have worn grooves in the road) and water will pool in these places, try to avoid them, aquaplaning underbraking can occur (happened to me).
    8) Watch the adverse camber on any road, especially roundabouts. Water is designed to run away from the roundabout so the road slopes away from it.
    9) More oil can also be left at roundabouts due to traffic stop/starting and travelling through intersection more slowly.
    10) Watch out for metal covers - inspection pits etc, they're generally very slippery in the wet.
    11) Watch out for white lines on the road, they can be slippery.
    12) Relax, this will help with smoother riding.

There is no reason why riding in the wet shold be no less enjoyable than dry riding. Just take it easy and take your time.
    I've only been riding for about four months but about 75% of it has been wet weather riding, both drizzle and downpours.
    The things mentioned above are the things that more expereienced riders have said to me about riding in the wet as well as somethings I've picked up myself.
  18. Oh and a full-faced helmet (not like me)....

This morning's experience was like a thousand HOT needles jammed into my face at 100Kph .....

Once you get used to the pain, its actually very nice and calming... kind of makes your whole face tingle for hours afterwards !

Yep, smooth, slow and smooth.......
  19. well it's over and I have to say it wasn't too bad, even alot more fun than dry riding. The fact that you have to concentrate and think a little more about how you ride made it really fun for me. the slippery factor I didn't really notice, I must just ride like a pussy in the dry aswell haha, but I guess changing lanes and crossing over bumps or cat eyes or white lines did feel a little wobbly in the front. And the back wheel does tend to feel a little light all the way through riding but all in all I just took it easy and it worked out well.

I guess next step is some proper wet weather gear, I got pretty wet, lucky it wasn't too long of a trip, oh and water on tha visor really started to bug me, I tried turning my head while riding to have the wind blow it off but at 80 km/h it really didn't do didly, I need like a riding rag lol.

Thanks for all the help guys, appreciate it ;)