Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My fIrst test ride

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Jeffco, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Had my very first test ride today and I still cant get the smile off my face so I thought I would share my experience :)

I never actually test rode my current bike, as I didn't have my learners at that stage so I just had it checked by Madbiker then put a holding deposit on it. (EL 250 Eliminator)

Today I test rode a 2009 XVS650 Custom with forward controls and V&H short shots, and when they started it up it sounded simply amazing. Actually it sounded fcuking amazing.

Having done a bit of research for bikes to suit a statuesque 5,5 frame I decided the XVS had to be one of my choices, and from the moment I sat on it I felt at ease :)

Like my current bike my feet are fully on the ground when I'm on it which I like, I was also expecting there would be a considerable weight difference between my EL 250 and the XVS but I have to say that didn't appear to be the case, I felt immediately at ease and in control.

When I took off (after two stalls, I think the Harley guys out the front were laughing :D ) it felt exhilarating. The power through the gears was excellent and smooth without making me feel like I was going to get myself into trouble. Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that I was taking the jump in power lightly I just thought that it was something that I would be able to learn how to control properly without the likelihood of doing myself harm, which I put down to the bikes overall stability and not my ability.

As we took off up the Princes the sound from the exhaust was brilliant I had the biggest smile on my face and I may have even let out a woohoo. Princes to Monash to Pound then back again.

I could certainly feel the difference in power but it wasn't overwhelming but it was so much better naturally to my current ride but like my current ride I felt really comfortable and in control whilst on it.

I have to say it was an awesome test ride and the XVS is simply an amazing bike. I know a few netriders have them and really seem to enjoy them and now I know why, one thing is for sure after riding it I will have a new bike before Christmas.

Next up Honda Shadow 750 and the Suzuki Boulevard 800 (M50)
  2. Well done enjoy the testing
  3. Cheers mate it was certainly fun
  4. Test pilot mode is one of my favourites :D

Good luck with finding the next bike.
  5. #5 Jeffco, Aug 20, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
    Thanks mate I have a few day off over the next few weeks so I'm going to tick a few off but Im still impressed with the XVS

*edit* Sat on one of the Kawasaki VN's found the postioning not quiet right so I'm pushing that ride to the back burner for now