Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My first road bike - bit of a project

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Instigator, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Hi Guys,
    Only just recently joined and was bikeless at the time but as luck would have it a bike has dropped into my sweaty little palms...

1985 ZXR600A (or GPZ600)

Other than that I don't really know much about it. My preliminary net research shows it was the first of the supersport 600 and had ~75bhp which should be a nice step up from the bikes I'm used to.
    She needs a little bit of work as has been sitting for a while. So far my to do list involves pulling off and overhauling the carbies (she'll start now but is either over or under fuelling, you have to block off the intakes to the carbies and she'll start for a few moments) and then just giving it a general check over/service before two new tyres and rego and my vain cosmetic respray and cleanup :p

Opinions/theories/random abuse???
    Pics will come when I can get over to where the bike is to get em.
  2. No one got anything to say?
  3. Well welcome to the middle road of motorcycling for one mate

Yep they where a stand out little bike in there day loaded with high tech goodies such as 16" front wheels and a reputation for finiky handling on chopped up roads, bullet proof also.

Now the problems start they where never that popular at the time mid eighties cause lets face it GSXR750 and VFR750 where our pick of the sub Litre class sports bikes 600's where a euro bike.

Dont forget this was some time before the first ZXR 750 and just after there GPZ900R and GPZ750R/GPX750

They where always popular in the uk and europe but here in Aus well whats a 600 any way was mainly the attitude at the time

PS i have a mint CX500 Honda and well lets just say if you like it mate clean it up get it going and get it on the road cause nobody else will and they are a great bike

Good luck with it and keep it stock if you can
  4. Grats on a nice little score, it will make a fine toy hopefully.

Chocking its guts out by covering the intakes is giveing it boot loads of fuel basically, or at least trying to.

Rebuild the carbys and yep, that should make it run since it certainly has spark.

Every single fluid in the bike should be replaced if the bikes been sitting around for ages, Most if not all fluids are hydroscopic meaning they absorb moisture over time wich is bad.

New plugs and air cleaner/oil filter, if your lucky then you won't have do much more apart from checking rubber/brakes and be off.

You will enjoy upping the torque and horsepower, if you've never ridden a big bike before then theres nothing like the 1st time when you find out what a hand full can really do.

Just remember, its power can get you into trouble as fast as it can get you out.

edit~ try running it without the air filter for a sec and see if that frees up its running. New filter and plugs/oil ect and it may be fine before you rip the carbys apart. Try the simple stuff 1st.
  5. As said above, change all fluids. I'd also change oil again after 1000kms, just to give it a nice clean up.
    I'd also regrease/inspect wheel bearings, check front brake caliper seals for any evidence of damage or wear. Go over hydraulic hoses too.
    Put an inline fuel filter in teh fuel line if you are going to rebuild carbs, then you won't have to do it ever again.
    If it's runing lean, it's probably a fuel delivery issue or a vacuum leak. Check the rubber intakes between carbs and head for cracks or leakage.
    It could also be the vacuum operated fuel tap if it has one, try running it on Prime, but fix the vacuum tap if this works, don't leave it on prime.
    It's running lean because it runs better choked. If it was rich, it would die covering the carbs.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. Thanks for all the advice guys. Much appreciated.
    I got stuck into the old girl today and managed to get a fair bit done.

I've stripped all the fairing and stuff off and started some of the prep work for painting ( I also bought all the supplies for that today *ouch )

Bought a new battery, sent the seats off to be retrimmed, and also pulled the carbies off.

I was thinking of just taking them down to the bike shop to get overhauled by professionals and then refit them, seats, fairings etc and then take it down to them for a full service/checkover and a new set of tyres before rego (she already has new plugs in her). They quoted me between $600-$800 for all this (that's with them pulling the carbs off which I did today) does that seem reasonable to you guys?

Is rebuilding the carbies difficult/something that could easily be done myself? I've got a fair bit of experience with cars (changing motors, gearboxes etc) and I know my little two stroke pocket bike inside out but this is a tad more complex :)

Also I know I could probably dig this up in a search but how much should I expect to pay for a greenslip and rego? I had a look a while ago when I was looking at a VFR400 and it was something like $600+ for a greenslip :shock: (I'm with NRMA for car and have 60% NCB and no at fault accident histroy)
  7. Well done on the bike

Two tyres will run you around $400 and a service around $300 so if they are gonna overhaul the carbies as well I'd say it's cheap at $800.

Nothing is difficult if you know what you are doing. I've changed engines and gearboxes in cars too, but with bikes, some simple things can send you down the road and for me, it's just worth it to get it all checked out professionally and running well. Pulling things apart is the easy bit, getting them back together is when mechanics are worth their $70 an hour :wink:

If possible try and make sure the bike shop can also do you the blue slip (or whatever colour it is), the one when a bike's been out of rego for a while.

Green slip prices are age dependant, I think. Make four phone calls and see how you go.

Good luck with it all, hope you've taken some before shots and look forward to seeing the finished product.
  8. Cheers Toecutter :)

Yeah she'll need a blue slip which I'm not sure if the bike shop can do.

I got quoted $160 for rear and $120 for front if I take the wheels off and take them down to be fitted...

I'm going down to see them tomorrow and I'll discuss my options with them then, might pop in at the library too and see if they have any sort of books about carbies so I can suss out how much of a hassle it's going to be.
    I'm taking it to the shop for a service/checkup before I ride it because I want to be sure that everything is A1 and safe. I could more than likely do most of the stuff myself but I want that piece of mind that a professional opinion will offer.

I got plenty of before shots today on my phone so I'll upload them to my photobucket tonight when I get home and post the links up in here.

I'm practically salivating just looking at her atm and can't wait till she's all finished, sexy and ready to take me for a ride :grin:
  9. Great feeling to have :cool:

Plenty of bike shops out Penrith Way - had some work done by Brian at Penrith Wreckers on Coreen Ave. Great guy, straight shooter and well worth a quote and probably have some tyres that will save you some more of your hard earned.
  10. Awesome. I think my mate recommended them to me as well. I've just been lazy so far and gone off the one phone call that I made to Kelen haha.

I don't think it'd be worth even ringing Westerns. I've been in there a bit in the past and found there service to be not to my liking. I test rode a VFR400 they had in there and the salesman was rabbiting on about they're "special this weekend only" sale that would save me wow $400 on an $8k bike (which was overpriced as it was). Still had a ball taking it for a spin though and after jumping back onto my mate's brother's CBR250RR I almost cried and realised I'd been stung by the big bike bug and when this came along it was too good to pass up.
  11. I stay away from the big bike (and car) dealerships for service, if a mechanic is any good, they will go out on their own and either make it or go back to a big dealership :p
  12. Now with pics...

13. WOW, that rear tyre if STUFFED!!! It looks like it's had a massive burnout done on it to flattend the middle out that bad. It's looks like a bald car tyre FFS!
  14. First thing I noticed as well! I have never seen a tyre that bald on a bike (my old farm car was running on slicks :grin:)
  15. The tyre on my old 250 was a little like that at some times. I tell you the CBR 250 would manage to get a nice 5th gear burnout going though. :)
  16. Bikes are easier to work on that cars, just a little different. If you are competent with cars, you can work on a bike with a workshop manual easily. One of teh first things I did on teh Z when I got it was to rebuild teh carbs and balance and tune them.
    Motobike carbs are simpler than late model car carbs.

Regards, Andrew.
  17. Ok so todays efforts seem to have been somewhat in vain.
    Got the carbys back from the shop late afternoon and fitted then up. The new battery I bought is I think the wrong one (it doesn't fit in the slot that's attached to the airbox for it) and so I hacked the shit out it lol
    Anways I bolted the carbys and the airbox back up, put the new filter in and she wouldn't start.
    The starter motor would turn over and it actually did fire twice and ran for a few moments with mid-range revs.
    I'm not sure what sort of process I should go through for starting it up again. Clutch on/off Throttle open/closed...

Any ideas???

My mate's got a bit better idea than me and hopefully I can get it going before it goes down to the shop for service/checkup.
  18. Have you primed the fuel lines?

I'm not familiar with this particular bike, however there can be a position on the fuel tap for priming the lines. It's also possible the fuel tap was in an incorrect position.

check those out first.

What else have you done to the bike? is the engine turning over?

Sounds similar to what a mechanic did to my grandparents car, he disconnected a large part of the carby's. Car wouldn't start properly, engine was turning over, problem was not enough petrol was getting to the engine. Pushing on the accelerator brought it up to mid-range for the car, but dropped quickly once I took my foot off the accelerator.

Anywho, just check the carbies are sealed correctly.

Let us know how yo ugo mate.
  19. Ok so yesterday was the day when she roared into life :)
    After some head scratching and rechecking of things I figured I needed more current. So I grabbed another battery off the rack and hooked it up. Bang the starter motor made a much more promising sound and after flipping the choke to on she roared into life.

Now I'm faced with my next problem which is I think caused by me having no idea lol. I think when I hooked the carbys back up I put the cables around the wrong way. The throttle is behaving all sorts of weird and it's a bit hard to describe on the net but here I go:

The throttle can be twisted away from you a bit and it sort of "clicks" then goes past the point it did before and you have a little bit of play in it (like 2-3cm). When the bike is started with the throttle like this it behaves like normal albeit with the limited play (ie twist it towards you bike revs). However in the normal mode (or if you twist it round from "locked mode" it feels like normal but with no snapback) When it is like this the bike will start and rev it's titties off, then if you go to rev the throttle it dies off.

My theory is the cables are back to front or my bending of the brackets to get the cables out needs some attention.

Tomorrow's plan of attack involves pulling the airbox back out so I can check proper operation of the slide in number 4 carby. Grinding away at some metal brackets to get the battery to fit in properly (probably hacksawing away at the airbox slot for it some more) and rubbing back, painting and cleaning of the frame and stuff so she's ready to go down to the shop for a service and checkup.

All in all I'm enjoying and learning alot from this project.

My work is all being done by the friendly and helpful folk down at Cash & Co Motorcycles in St Marys. Greg down there is great and even pulled the float of my carbys when I was down there and explained a bit to me about what was going on.
  20. remove and re-install cables.
    sounds pinched, maybe on the return cable?