Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My first ride to Yea - Yea!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Whippet, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Hi Everyone,

Went for a ride with a friend on Sat to Yea. We stopped at St Andrews, Flowerdale and rode through Strath Creek (sorry to the yellow Honda who got stuck behind me going through the twisties). We arrived in Yea for a yummy lunch then I was taken the long way back to Yarra Glen, Christmas Hills then home (Albert Park).

My friend who has been riding for over 30 years underestimated my riding fitness (only had my bike nearly two months) as I felt a bit tired and sore (cramped shoulder) once I got back to Yarra Glen. The sun in my eyes riding back didn't help.

Overall, the ride up was fantastic. Left hand sweepers were fun but OMG the right ones were - interesting :? Why did I feel like I was falling off the road? I'd try leaning and then feel like I was going too close to oncoming cars. Is this from the road camber? My heart was certainly pumping :shock: . My friend isn't great at explaining things to me - he goes by feel and can't communicate what he does so I wasn't able to get much help from him.

I've checked out a few books at Borders and plan to do more research. I know I also have to trust my eyes and head direction more. But it really seems quite technical. I love the feeling of riding but I'd also like to know what I should be doing rather than guessing.

I think I may need to employ a few one on one rides with any of you guys/girls who would be happy to impart some much needed knowledge with a determined newbie like me. I'm sure there'd be lots of laughs - all at my expense :grin: :grin: :grin:

2. Hi Jen, I'm not all that experienced on the twisties myself, but I've learnt to always look where my head is compared to the centre line/cars coming the other way. Often, when going right, you'll need to be further to the left of your lane so you're not leaning over the line. It can also be better to go more to the left so you can see around the corner for what traffic is coming. If you start wide (left) then cut in (right) to smooth out the corner you should eliminate a fair amount of the potential to lean over the line.

I'm sure the more experienced riders will be able to clarify for you.
  3. Hi jen, I was the same when i first started, I much preferred left handers. I have heard most new riders have a preference for one or the other. You might want to check out these instructed rides also https://netrider.net.au/calendar/?action=details&id=930 I went on one and found they are great for Improving your riding in the twisties. They also teach you a lot of roadcraft and safety stuff as well. The Toolangi one is for learners.
  4. I'm going on the Toolangi ride on 15th Oct. Maybe see you there, Jen! I'll be in a pink jacket. That's why I'm resisting riding with Netriders through the twisties ...need to learn first.
  5. Hey Jen, well even if you weren't able to get much help out of your friend I hope you are enjoying your rides. Stick with it and just go on as many group rides or one on one rides you can.

Stay safe and have fun.
  6. Having a go is the best way to learn.

Just let a car in front set your pace. Also, good to do a slow run to familiarise yourself with the road, then you'll know how quick you can take it.

For want of a less cliche piece of advice "Trust your instincts."
    If you're comfortable and feel you could go a bit faster and it's safe - have a go.
    If a corner doesn't feel right, just keep leaning 'til your out of it, take the next one a bit slower and consider your posture and road positiong to see why you weren't comfortable.
    Although yes, just going too fast means you can upset yourself mid-corner, other things will make you uncomfortable.

-Riding too close to the centre line at the beginning of the corner will stop you leaning properly for fear of oncoming traffic.

-Starting too close to the OUTside line may mean you're concerned about running off the road, and then you start to look at what's off the road... and then you run off the road :p

-Gripping too tight with your hands and not tight enough with your legs means less control of the motorcycle, and discomfort for the rider when conditions get slightly more demanding.

-Not moving your weight off the bike in the direction you want to turn will prevent you leaning for a comfortable line around the corner.

... plus some of it's just practice and experience :)

Good luck & happy riding!
  7. Or you could just buy the book "Twist of the Wrist II" and really find out why and how.
  8. really good advice there. :wink:

Also, and this can't be emphasised enough - don't look at the road directly in front of your front wheel - look ahead through the corner at where you want to be, you'll find your cornering will vastly improve.

Secondly, trust your bike - if you are worried about getting around, don't panic and brake and risk high siding it - counter steer and push the bike down harder. If you lose it then and low side you'll be far better off than high siding. The bike will normally be far more capable of getting you around that corner than you'd believe is possible. :wink:
  9. Great to hear you had a good ride...St Andrews to Kinglake eh? That's one hell of an initiation!

Most riders do have a preference for either lefts or rights. I find rights harder with throttle control. There are other reasons, some of it to do with road position and some to do with head position.

Road position is important. I see lots of people hugging the centre line when doing rights. It's a safety thing. 'Out there' on the left is where all the crud is, trees, barriers etc...So if I stay in the centre, I'll be fine, won't I? Except now your head is where the approaching cars are and your visibility is restricted. This has the effect of making everything appear as a 'surprise' which makes cornering scary.

Head position is also important. You might find that with right handers, you're natural instinct is to drop your head and you start looking at the white line. Wherever you look is basically where you'll end up going, so you tighten the line and get closer to the cars. It's an ever decreasing circle.

So, next time you are out, concentrate on keeping your head up, looking to where you are travelling next and staying closer to the left of the lane. This opens up the corner and improves your overall visibility.

There's bound to be a learners/intermediate ride soon, keep an eye out and try to hook up with some mentors.

Good luck!
  10. I've noticed I'm a lot more comfortable with left turns too. I rekon it's mostly all in the head, because going left we feel like there's a lot more road available (even though we can't use it), so subsconsciously we're more relaxed. On right turns it's our lane and the ditch so we're more concious of the consequences of stuffing up.
  11. It's already been said, but +1 for staying wide for as long as possible (stay left on right turns, and stay in the right of your lane in left turns, until you see the road start to straighten out). And concentrate on looking well ahead.
  12. Thanks everyone,

It's starting to make more sense now. Thanks Pete for the Toolangi link - I will go. I'll look out for you Pinkxie. I had a look at 'Twist of the wrist 1 and 2' - thanks Johny come lately - I'll go in to Borders and have a closer look at it.

I did have a great day out. For a city girl like me it's nice to get out and smell the cut grass and see the beautiful changes Spring is making. You guys who live out that way are so lucky to have it all at your doorstep.