Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My First Ride & Thoughts

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by CBR GHOST, Dec 22, 2015.

1. So yay to me I completed my pre learner course over the weekend at Unanderra and past my DKT yesterday and went for a ride just in my area which is very quiet.

I enjoyed the ride and feeling out how my bike responds from braking, acceleration, slow and stop starts and really got a good feel for it. Then almost got hit twice from idiot drivers.

One guys just decided to pull right out in front of me, he didn't even look like stopping. The other guy tried to overtake me as another car was coming the other way. I stayed to the left but he was that close he forced me though a massive puddle and I thought I was going to crash but I held my composure.

This will not deter me at all but I just want to really enforce everyone to be carful especially over this busy time of year and ride safe.

Thank you,

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. You will always get that but I think things will settle down by the time you get that L plate off.

The plate and your confidence make a big difference to how other road users interact with you.

Congrats on your L's and first ride, stay safe.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. welcome aboard :) for some reason the L plate can attract aholes, but don't let it stress you.
    keep your composure like you have been and before you know it you be spotting them in advance and avoiding them
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I am very fortunate in that I live in country Victoria, and got my L's in September and just passed my P Plates a couple of days ago.

Got given some very good advice early on, and that was to be as visible as possible, but also to be aware that a lot of drivers just don't see bikes the same way as they do a car, so I have always tried to be as aware as possible while riding, and always try and have an escape plan. So far it has worked, but I am not running around in metro areas.

Good luck
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Congrats on getting your L's and keeping composure.

Maybe get a bikie vest with skull n' crossbones that says, "the L stands for Lethal Motherfcuker - So watch out/".
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Thanks guys. Have had a few more rides in the area for some practice and went for a highway cruise this arvo and felt comfortable.
  7. Congrats on getting your Ls. You have to ride to the circumstances and be prepared for silly stuff from other road users.
    Try to ride in the right wheel track and "own" your lane so that drivers aren't tempted to try and squeeze past and share your lane.
    You have to adjust that with oncoming traffic and other potential hazards (you may move over to the middle to give a bigger buffer for oncoming highway traffic for example), but generally, the right wheel track of the left lane, the centre of a middle lane, and the left wheel track of a right lane is where to position yourself.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. #8 Lazy Libran, Dec 24, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2015

All good advice has been given In the previous posts..so all I'll suggest is to relax on the bike a bit more but at the same time, be wary of the surroundings..

There are some excellent posts in the riding discussions so go through those as they also involve steering, cornering Etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Congrats mate, have a look at some of the roadcraft threads here that can help you in road positioning, threat identification, etc. Riding skills are obviously important and need to be worked on even for us older riders, but roadcraft is also a vital part of the motorcyclists defensive armoury.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. #10 Shawn MT07, Dec 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2015
  11. Congratulations CBR GHOSTCBR GHOST and welcome to the fray. The thing I noticed as a newbie is my being overly defensive and hyper vigilant because I was now 'exposed' without a car frame around me. Over time, you will partially learn what to expect and even figure out where and when you are vulnerable. I learned a few lessons about road craft the scary way, but luckily not the hard way. Almost a year on, I still have so much to learn, but being more relaxed and constant practice will hopefully move me out of the newbie category soon. NR has been a lifeline to better riding and learning from the more experienced riders on the forums. There are some seriously good threads that have taught me lots. So keep reading, stay safe and most of all, enjoy.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Thanks mate. Even in the week I have been riding I have learnt a heap of things and it's really helping with confidence. This forum and the people here are great.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. congrats on your L's mate I find even now that there are some silly drivers on the roads that don't pay a lot of attention, the best advise i can give is be relaxed and comfortable and always be aware of your surroundings and the other people on the roads bud.

Have fun and enjoy! :)
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Confidence and capability seems to go hand in hand. I'm a two month old noob - when I'm confident I can do something the capability follows and when I realize I'm capable of doing something I become more confident in doing so. Just knocked off 2,500km yesterday and realized on way home I am pretty comfortable in most situations on bike now (hit $1.60 at one stage too - that was fun, but thought it'd be enough for the time being). Ride at pace and place that is comfortable to you and soon can find you can handle the next step.

That said I haven't been riding at night again since first time - didn't like that at all, couldn't see siht on unlit roads when cars coming other way and had to drop brights - shall have to try some more night riding on lit roads get more confident with that.

Riding is bloody fun, so make sure you enjoy it!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Funny Ass Pics thread GoldenberriGoldenberri?

pwbikepwbike's post is worth reading again. Defensive riding is actually aggressive positioning of yourself in your lane or in a safe gap. My riding is more aggressive than my driving as I am looking for the safe position on the road. Unfortunately the L plate attracts dumbass drivers like flies to dung!

On the lighter side, if the car that overtakes you is a Camry, don't tell anybody.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. #16 Mammoth, Dec 29, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    Yeah, plenty of idiots on the road. You just have to expect drivers to regularly make attempts on your life.
    It's a sad fact of riding that you might get hurt because of someone else not paying attention/speeding/texting/not caring and you just have to be ready for it. Just remember that it's your spine on the line and it doesn't matter who had 'right of way' when you are in hospital.
    I learned to ride on a trail-bike in the middle of nowhere and I still think that is the safest place to make your mistakes and hone your skills, but if you are learning on the steets, on one of those hideously fast little road-rockets, then you need to find some isolated country area to fang it a bit to sharpen your reactions and develop an awareness of the bike's weight and braking characteristics.
    You also need a good dose of paranoia regarding those idiots behind the wheel ... they really ARE trying to kill you.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. I have found I notice a lot more idiots since riding. I think it is more I am aware that I can injured a lot easier on a bike then a car. I go nearly every day so far to a quiet place and practice my slow speeds and my hard and soft braking just to become a more competent rider.

Loving every minute though.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Hi Guys and Gals,
    Well I finally got my 'Ls' on Saturday and this meant I could take my brand new bike for a ride. My plans were originally to travel to the dealer and pick the bike up but the dealer called me out of the blue and asked if I want it delivered. I took him up on his offer. At least this saved me from having my first ride in busy Sydney traffic.
    I initially rode around my local streets just to get some feel of the bike, needless to say I loved it! I eventually started venturing further out. I found the CBR to be really easy to ride and in no time I began to feel pretty confident on it so I decided to 'hit the traffic'. To my surprise, I did not feel stressed when riding in busy traffic although obviously I had to concentrate harder. I'm hoping I'm not feeling over confident. I think my bike is quite 'forgiving' to things like riding on a wrong (too high) gear because of the torque of the engine and this allows me to concentrate on other things.
    I found my self going 'the longway' every time I went somewhere. for an example yesterday I popped in to my local Supercheap to pick up a tire pressure gauge. the shop is about 4km from home. the way back home was 50km!! I put about 380km on the clock over the weekend and only once had a close call (SMIDSY) I think the 4WD driver shit himself when he realised I was there. a quick flick of the wrist saved me (that torque again!).

Things I want to improve:
    smoother gear changes,
    not riding around on high gear (use the revs)
    improving the lines through left and right turns at intersections. (look where I want to go, not the kerbs i want to avoid)
    more slow riding practice.
    don't get caught up in a massive thunderstorm o_O

I'm now trying to find roads with more corners, Any hints around western Sydney/ Penrith?
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Good stuff man, you'll be up for Netrider group rides in no time.
    Try Old Bathurst rd that has a couple of nice corners to practice on.
  20. Thanks Mate,
    Penciled in!