Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My first ride at night and on the freeway!

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Mez, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Before today all I had done was local riding (around the block), and a few times involving one intersection with traffic lights. Nothing much really, and not exceeding 40k/h.
    And practice around the cones and e-braking on Saturday mornings.
    I was a little anxious about how on earth I was going to hang on at any real speed.

I am finally understanding the big deal!

I was surprised at how noisy it was in the helmet. Will definitely use earplugs.
    Also, something on my jacket makes a really annoying whistling sound. Must fix!
    And I noticed that my neck is not as strong as I'd have thought. Felt like the wind might just rip my head off when I check my shoulder.
    All good though, I had a blast . And I'm still buzzing hours later!
  2. Noice :)

Welcome to the club!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Congratulations :)
    I never understood people's problems with wind apart from being an annoyance and noisy until I had a long ride on long highways/freeways. Yeah... gotta get a windshield.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. p.s. I remember my first real freeway experience... I remember thinking "Faaaaaark... if I fall off this bike for any reason I'm soooooo screwed... but this is awwwwwesommmme". :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Mez, wind noise might be reduced using a neck sock or scarf, not quite the good time of year due to warm weather but it might help! Good to see you're out and about.. And as Robslav said, 'FAARK' pretty much sums it up lol but the smile on ones face :)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. It's official. I'm the proudest husband on the planet. When Mez went out for a ride, I tagged along behind in the car to give her a buffer. Didn't need it. She was amazing. 100 times better than me on my first ride out. I remember going down the freeway at 80 wondering how you could ever possibly speed. I thought I would be blown off the bike. Mez went down ballarat rd, then Geelong rd, onto the freeway. Went about 10-20 km down, then took an exit and came back. She was amazing. I followed her onto the freeway, and she just took off. Nice and steady, but I couldn't keep up. She loved it. She looked smooth, great head movement and awareness. There were a few times when she was sitting next to a car, which I spoke to her about. That was the only thing I could fault.

Well done!!
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Well done Mez. Massive step well taken by the sounds of it.

Wind noise is an issue and even if you have a $1000 helmet you may still get some annoying sounds. I personally don't recommend ear plugs, especially for beginning riders as I would prefer to see somebody learn to listen to their engine and understand when and where the power is produced in the rev range by the different sounds it makes. A labouring engine on a motorcycle will limit your manoeuvrability and impede your ability to use the engine to correct bike behaviour. eg. lifting out of corners by using the throttle. On the other extreme an over revving engine is asking for another gear. Ear plugs can also limit your awareness of what is happening around you. When riding on the road and in traffic you need to use all your senses to be constantly aware of what is happening around you. I ride a 1000cc bike and when riding through the hills I maintain the revs between 9,000 and 13,000 rpm to keep the bike in its optimum performance range. Even at these high revs where the engine is producing in excess or 100db I still prefer to hear what is going on clearly.

The only time I have ever used ear plugs is whilst drag racing as I used remove the exhaust canister to increase airflow and reduce back pressure in the engine.

Of course there are inherent hearing risks associated with the wind noise inside a motorcycle helmet over long periods of time and the decision to use ear plugs or not is entirely up to you.

Congratulations again on your amazing achievement, keep up the fantastic learning progression.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Yeah, I remember FAAARK too first time on freeway...... :LOL:

And it quickly became FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK when 100kph highways started to wind a bit...... :D
  9. Well done Mez. (y)

I was fine on the freeway but went FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARK on my first ride on the twisties and then on the west gate bridge on a very windy day.

But it soon turned into FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARKING Awesommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmme. :)
  10. Thanks for your encouragement everyone! I have to say I am so impressed to be part of this community, and to experience first hand the care and service focus of so many of you.
    I have so much to learn and experience in differing conditions, but I'm looking forward to being able to help out others too.
    Until then, I'm keen to keep learning.
  11. Well done Mez!
  12. Way to go Mez, good for you! Well done. (y)

And +1 to the earplugs.

I come at this from a different pov to gixr.thou ... the two key sensory inputs I use are sight and feel, can feel when bike starts labouring etc. And can still hear with them in. A standard set of earplugs from chemist or whatever takes about 20-30 db off noise levels.
    So at f/way speeds where wind noise can reach say 115db, it's being reduced back to around 94 db (current EPA rating or thereabouts) or 84db (which I think is rating on the latest R1).
    The noise can also contribute to fatigue (which is greater for new riders until rider fitness develops), headaches on longer rides etc.
    There's also the fancy noise cancelling, molded ones ... not sure how they work though, haven't gone into that.

And besides that, my son still believes I can hear a pin drop in the next room and I fully intend to keep that illusion alive for as long as I can. :grin:

As g.t says, each to their own.

Again, congrats!
  13. I also remember my first ride on the freeway, riding home from the dealer on my 149cc sachs express... "FAAARRK" sums it up pretty well!!
  14. You really have to go on feel on the CB400 (with stock pips). Most of the time, I can't hear the bike over the wind. At all... I really couldn't tell you if it's screaming or not just going on the sound. I tend to judge on feel, and also on revs. (as in, looking at the taco from time to time). I haven't tried ear plugs yet, but if they cut out some of the wind noise, it may actually be easier to hear the bike. I'll need to test that out I guess. Never ridden with ear plugs in before (planning on starting soon tho).