Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My first real near miss

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Walkat82, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Hey guys,

I have had my licence for about 6 months and my bike for about 3 months
    its Kawasaki Ninja 250r. it really is my pride and joy :D

But what happened yesterday nearly turned my bike into a pile of metal and me inserted into a back of a van and this was all my fault :-(

So what happened was travelling along Miles Plating rd on the right hadn lane it has 2 lanes each way(turns into 3 at the site of the miss) and a 3rd one at this intersection for turning onto the gateway.
    Riding down this hill and i taught myself to be aware of whats around thanks to some great guides including the ones on this website.
    Anyways going down this hill where there is a intersection with lights theres a semi-truck to the left and a van in front of me i notice the lights turn orange and i m fair way from them and figure i could get them if i speed up and i watch the van in front and did'nt see any brake lights so i [b]figure his going through BAD MISTAKE [/b] at the last minute the van puts on his brakes and i m left in a real bad situation. I m proberly 20 metres away from the van mybe more mybe less no idea but i was close.
    I put on my front brakes and back brakes and down shift notice i m not slowing down enough even more force on the back break and front break (only for a moment on the front then i released but not the back) i did not take any pressure off my back break and i felt the back end of the bike sliding around.(at this point i thought the bike would buckle underneath me) so i did not apply and front back as i fear a total loss of controll (was this a good thing?) with the back end sliding around a manage to somehow get it into a lane that happens to be used to get on the gateway which thankfully was empty then with the heart pounding a went off all the way at the speed limit.
    All this happened in a few seconds

2. Sounds like you learnt a lesson there - the most important lesson you could learn on a bike in traffic: ASSUME NOTHING!
  3. Trying to run a light from a fair way away is a good way to end up in the side of someone's car, methinks.

You're front brake does most of the stopping so I'm not sure why you slammed on the rear instead. Although there is some controversy/disagreement on how to use the rear brake, I'm sure everyone would agree you should have been using the front (perhaps with some rear, I generally don't though).

It all essentially comes back to you trying to push your luck on the light imo, an extra 20-30 seconds of your time would have avoided the whole situation.
  4. What controversy is that, among experienced riders?! Use both brakes! Let me add something to that: use both brakes!!!

Given some confusion about this recently, here's a message for new and newer riders about braking in a straight line as a habit, and especially when you need to do it quickly:

Use both brakes!!!!
  5. I think you will have already gone over the "coulda shoulda" in your head by now so no point harping on about what you did wrong.
    How much emergency braking have you practised? Very little? Go do it. The front brake should be doing 80%+ of the braking.

Congrats on living to tell the tale.
  6. Thanks guys for your input,
    I panicked with the rear i just slam them on without any train of thought and as for the front i know i should of used both breaks but if i was going straight forward i would of crashed into the van with the back sliding i just thought point the bike to the next lane and then i used both but once i knew i had to much speed my only option was to swerve into the next lane. once i did get into the next lane i did apply my fronts and during everyday traffic use i normally use my fronts thanks to the guides and riders the post on websites like these.
  7. Sounds like, aside from some newbie errors in judgement, you did pretty well. Personally, while you don't want to slam the rear too much for the reason you mention (sliding out) it's actually not that much of a problem - I've slid the rear a bit emergency breaking numerous times, especially on a little bike which is easy to control in that state (once locked a postie up and slid for some distance). Locking up the front is a bit more of an issue. Just a feel thing to develop: that fine line between hard braking and locking up.

You're finding the other lane showed good reactions, you basically did well with this one...
  8. This same thing happened in my car about 2 weeks ago. Except it was the right turning lane and i (too) assummed the person in front was going through...they slammed there brakes on as soon as they realised it was orange and i hit the anchors. Stop good for a while then realided hang on a sec i could hit this car. Then locked up the brakes from a little extra pedal pressure and stopped with heaps of distance left lol...

It was kinda fun i thought. My heart was pounding but i felt awesome. Even took the time to open my door and check out the skid mark i had left. Could'nt see any lol :(

Yea but i guess we all learn from our mistakes. We're human after all.
  9. USE BOTH BRAKES: thats good advise !!

The trick with brakes is to squeeze rather than grab a handful.

You might not stop in the distance, but you will definately not hit the back with as much force.

if you use both the front and back correctly, you can usually stop in time.
  10. Not everyone gets a chance to learn from the more severe mistakes...
  11. Not quite right matt -

I'd have said

"Use both f%#@*g brakes"...

And if you have trouble doing that, go and find somewhere safe and practice practice practice...
  12. Dont target fixate & look for an exit :wink:
  13. So your rationale behind that is that everyone should calculate all the possibilities of an event/situation occuring and be able to repsond the right way.

As pefect as they may sound even if you know what to do in a situation instincts are the first thing to kick in and usually they cause these mistakes so theres nothing you can do about it. Thats why the saying exists.

You make a mistake. Instead of looking at it like your useless and should have known better, you say to yourself well im not gonna do that again or i might look out for that next time.

For the people who make mistakes and never get to learn from them...'such is life'

And no this wasnt a smartarse reponse i just hate it when people state the obvious.
  14. Hey THanks for posting this.. Good learnings to be had. I have made the same decisions (to go for Orange Light Glory) in the past and I need to see stuff like this to give me a benchmark of safety to get back within. Often when you start to get a little more skilled you can take things for granted I thinkg..

Heart Pounding.. Jeez, Ive had a few of those moments.. Shocking feeling...the adrenaline is intense for those few seconds.. Unfort it normally means stomping on the brakes..

take it easy : )
  15. +1

Practice practice practice your emergency braking.

Know your bike's limit and how it feels and reacts when you really hit the anchors. When squeezing the brakes, apply constant pressure.....if it begins to lock up, release very briefly to regain traction and re apply the pressure again.

Take care
  16. +1

Practice good emergency braking technique so you can brake hard without losing control. Better to hit something at 5kph than lose it and try to cartwheel through oncoming traffic at 60.
  17. OP says "i notice the lights turn orange..."

OK..orange means STOP...unless unsafe to do so. And you accelerated! "Your bad!"

If you don't practice your braking, then you will fail!
  18. Don't worry about the down-shifting.

Pull the clutch in & concentrate on what ya doing with your right hand
    & foot.

NR thread - Best Emergency Braking
  19. Ride defensively. I've always been taught to anticipate the bad scenarios and to 'prepare' for them (ie have fingers covering the brake). Lights are not the sort of place you want to gamble with. Glad to hear you're alright but, that road is a bastard.
  20. orange lights scare the crap out of me. It seems to be the culture in Vic to run an orange. personally I will always choose to brake and if necessary brake hard to avoid running an orange but quite a few times I've been tailgated so close that this would have been asking for a rear-ender if I hadn't run the light.

I'm glad the OP coped with the situation and no one got hurt, but frankly I'm afraid it serves him right. Hopefully the scare will change his attitude while there is still time