Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by huzey, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Hi guys, last night had my first off.

I was going through some S bends, big booming ones, I decided to give it a bit of punch, was doing about 75km/hour and hit a reflector, got head wobbles, and low slided. Slid for about 30 odd metres and got up straight away. Yes, I perfectly understand that I was going too quick, too early, flame me all you want for this, I don't care.

The point of my topic is, to wear and invest heaving in your safetly. I basically came off perfectly and injury free. I was wearing FULL safety gear, jacket, pants, boots, gloves, helmet.

All of them took a huge beating. If I didn't have them on this would have been my skin. So even people who sometimes don't wear draggins, or sometimes wear shoes, take this as a lesson!

I may need a skin graft on my shoulder, probably don't, meh pretty small stuff anyway.

Draggins ^ few rips here and there, jeans would have been ripped apart, and same with my skin.

My boots, see the rips up through the boot and around the toes? This would have been my foot/ankle

Just my shoulder, that'll be fine though.

So I hope you guys take this as a lesson, even in a small lowslide, gear makes the world of difference. BUY ALL SAFETY GEAR AND WEAR AT ALL TIMES

I'm not sure wether to continue riding, I'm simply not mature and I don't want to kill myself at 18....we will see...
  2. :shock: You say your gear saved you, which it obviously did, but you appear to injured both shoulders (?) so maybe you need a better jacket?

Anyway, good to hear that you were fortunate enough not to have hit anything before friction brought you to a halt.

So, how is the bike??
  3. Nah, the left shoulder was what I landed on, the jacket did a pretty good job in the end. Not sure about the bike, It was a low slide, so probably cosmetics, mirror, clutch lever, it's towed away somewhere.
  4. Glad you are still alive to tell us all about it.

Was the reason I stopped riding. A stack at 75kmh is a fair speed, hitting an armco fence or another car.....am sure you are aware of what the consequences could have been.

To be honest, you should be able to run over a reflector without it upsetting the bike. What was the advisory speed of the corner? Maybe time to invest in some advanced rider training so you find out exactly what you and your bike can do.
  5. Not good youngen,

Get a vedict on the damage before you decide to give it in. Lot of stuff can be got cheaply if it's just mirrors and levers, fairings can be pathched up etc.

Good excuse for a respray too.
  6. :LOL: just TFF here i was reading & scrolling away grrr pics 2 large hate scrolling across & then what do we have here? A pic of you with blue scribble across your mug... PURE GOLD .. im still laughing.
  7. HE must be a dentist's son :grin: "we can't show you the face of this goof...."
  8. Rhys - bummer mate, but it happens. Don't let it put you off. Learn from it and come back bigger and better. How are the old's with it? Hope you can still make it to the Toy Run. I have a pillion for the day but I'm sure someone else can give you a ride, or alternativle you could cage it and get some good photos/video....
  9. It was a good "off", so don't swet it.
    I don't except that you might have been going too fast or whatever, so it's largely irrelevant. But you may have exceeded either yours or the bikes abilities at that time, and at this stage in your skill set developement. But that is something only "you" know.

What is more important is what you take away with you after such an incident. You survived relatively unscathed and can learn from the whole experience - fortuntely, you don't have to worry about what happens when you are'nt wearing decent riding gear. :)

When the time is right...relive the event second by second and try to zero in on what the underying cause was....this will help you to grow in your riding career.:)
  10. Can you tell us what sort of jacket you were wearing? Leather or cloth? Shoulder armour? I'm interested as your shoulder copped a bit of a beating, especially if it may need a skin graft.

You've come out of this OK so don't get too discouraged. Consider it a learning experience and get back on the bike when you feel ready. All the best :) .
  11. As a new and younger rider myself, I think it is great that you have recognised (as I have) that you are not invincible, and that the ground does in fact do damage (ultimately, it is friction that helps the tyres grip the bitumen, so what would that do to soft skin?)

As others have said, think over what has happened and try and learn from the expirience. Then remember to ride to have fun and ride to make it to your destination.
  12. The jacket was a Dririder Highway jacket, had armor, not over that part of my shoulder though, on the top.

I think my shoulder took a beating because thats what I landed on first of all, im pretty much untouched everywhere else...
  13. I'm not going to give you shit just yet for pushing the limits but you know it's coming. Sorry mate but I can't miss an opportunity to have a dig at ya.
    I do expect it to come back my way in the future though :grin:

I'm proud that you have takin your "lesson" and sharing it to help others be safer in their riding adventures.
    Im also greatful that after buying the same pair of gay pants as you and Brad that I can have confidence in them after your test slide, saving me having to do it. +1 there :?

While I am disappointed to hear you are considering giving it up, you know you have our full support with what ever decision you make.
    The reason I say disappointed is I know how much you have enjoyed it and I know you have had a bad trot with the bike being off the road for a while. I wouldn't want it to end before you really get started.

An off, no matter how small, even a stationary drop can shatter your confidence.
    So don't feel like you're alone in this one.
    Where you go from here is purely up to you.

Oh and if you decide to give it up, we might let ya hang with us in town so long as you park the car up the road and carry your helmet with you
  14. Huzey, i was not happy to read this. I am glad you were kitted up and came thru well. Review what you did, punish yourself for the foolish bits and make the right decision for yourself. Thanks for feedback on your gears performance. Good luck and stay safe.
  15. Glad you got out of this one O.K, could have been a lot worse. You've learnt some lessons, and that's good.
    As for getting back on a bike, just heal up for a week or so, and see if you can borrow a bike for a quiet putt putt around somewhere. It will do your confidence a world of good, and help you move on as well.
    If teh bike just slid and didn't tumble, it should be easy enough to get going again. Note I didn't say repair fully.
    I am a little concerned that a cat's eye reflector set up a wobble, I don't think the rider could be responsible for that. I would check (or have checked) steering stem and all swingarm bearings for a start. It could also be teh power you put on, maybe just started a tail slide.
    Anyway, I didn't start riding when I was young because I was quite reckles, so whether you continue riding or not is something only you can answer ultimately, but I would still get back on a bike and go for a quiet ride, just to get past it.

Regards, Andrew.
  16. So far i have found that tryin to tell people to wear their gear who don't is useless, they won't listen and won't learn till they crash without it.
  17. Why you have to hide your mug? You wanted by the Pigs? :roll: :LOL:

If the incident hasent wisen you up or you dont think you will learn from it,
    then yes, better you give it up until that changes (if you value your life). :wink:

Good luck.
  18. Yes, safety gear is worth every penny and then some.

I lowsided when learning, but only at about 30ks. My Rjays cordura jacket and dririder gloves got a bit dusty (from gravel on the road shoulder) and a stone chiped my helmet. My only injuries were sore knees, a bruised forearm, and a foul temper for the biatch that cut infront of me. :p
    Moral is; I got back on the bike and have been a better rider ever since.

You made a mistake. Learn from it. Patch the bike up, get some new gear, and get back on the bike. Stupid hurts - so don't be stupid, know your limits. Take it easier and never forget your lesson. If you stop riding now, you'll regret it forever.

19. Toecutter...I strongly disagree with you about running over reflectors without upsetting the bike. It would reduce the contact area of the tyre with the road, as well as upsetting the attitude of the bike with the suspension movement. I stay away from white lines as well, when cornering.

huzey..If you had of taken a different line through the corner you could have avoided hitting the reflector. The reflectors are lane markers, you don't say whether it was an inside or outside..but it doesn't matter...the right line would have you avoiding them, and kept you in your lane.
    Oh and there is only one correct safe line through a corner..and it doesn't change with the speed, only the lean angle does..
  20. Just reminds me. Yesterday arvo on the Monash freeway (outbound)
    ran over a friggen orange witch hat at 100km/h :shock: :LOL:

Apart from the rear wheel jumping up a bit, everything went fine thank God.

Concerning my big bike, Grey Gentry, I'm with toecutter & would be disturbed
    if a POS road reflector upset my bike. I've never had such problem with em before.