Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My first near miss

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' at netrider.net.au started by Lukej_76, Jul 17, 2012.

1. This one goes back about 15months now when I had only been riding for around a month, but I have only just found this part of the forum.
    On one of my first half dozen trips down the freeway still not massively confident travelling in left lane came up behind a station wagon doing around 90km/h. waited behind her for another car to past before I overtook and noticed she was yelling at her kids in the back. With the little experience that I had and all I had heard of drivers paying no attention to bikes I sat back a little more. Unfortunately her argument got more heated with her kids and she slowed even more so I decided to go around.
    Of course the moment I draw beside her going past I watch as she swings around to have a go at her kids and swings into my lane. I threw the bike over harder than I had before and I'm pretty sure even the car behind me hit their horn at her. Pulling the bike upright I swung across the front of her which probably looked intentional but was just me catching the bike. Looking at her behind me I could see that she still hadn't noticed that I was ever even there. The car from behind her pulled up beside me and shook his head at her
    From that I learned never sit around near a car that Is clearly paying no attention. get past and get away rather than sit around near them

2. Road craft 101.
    Why do so few have it.
    I regularly drive my work van and see so called motorcyclists sailing by oblivisious to me.