Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My first near miss...and a lesson

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Brmmm, Jul 18, 2010.

1. I just came back from a ride this afternoon. Nearly got hit head on by a car which came across some double white lines on Empire Bay Drive into my lane. He was trying to overtake another car. Thing was that I had been buffering the oncoming traffic a bit, but not really enough. I was in the middle of my lane and I swerved a bit to the left when I saw him. Really I was late on it and luckily he was only 1/3 across the lines when I passed. Second mistake on my part was that I did not notice that he was right up the clacker of the guy in front of him, which would have indicated to me hispossible intentions.

I hope this is of assistance to someone.

2. Really good to hear you're okay.

Yup, any tailgaiting GENERALLY ensures that there is an overtake to take place ASAP.
  3. How are your trousers John?

Good you missed him.

Thanks for the reminder on creating buffer space between the bike and oncoming traffic. (y)

Was it a commodore or a hyundai? :D

Fun Ha!
  4. You know, these things happen so fast that there's really no time for any trouser action. By the time I realised what was happening it was all over. I wouldn't have known much about it as we were both travelling at least 70kph.

Then its immediately back to concentrating on avoiding the next hazzard. I probably should have stopped and debriefed myself though. About 10min later I had a shocker of a takeoff from a stop sign. Both feet left the pegs for a moment. The two might have been unconsciously connected? After that second 'incident' I lost a fair bit of confidence and started to corner badly. I really should have got the helmet off and got the head right in retrospect.
  5. Hmm...re: buffering oncoming traffic-
    I would have suggested that you do the opposite and actually ride in the RIGHT wheel track, CLOSER to the oncoming traffic, instead of in the middle or in the left wheel track.

What sometimes happens, when you ride away from the oncoming cars (in the middle or in the left wheel track), is that the driver doesn't see you because you are hidden by traffic in front of you. All he sees is a gap in the traffic coming up on his right, which is where he'll choose to make his move. 'Owning' that space by riding in the right wheel track and being conspicuous to oncoming traffic (or any other traffic on your right) makes sure that you're not encroached upon.
    Also, it gives you even more space to escape on your left if the shit hits the fan.
    Finally; the centre of the lane is the worst place to be since that's usually where the cages leak all their diesel and oil and it can get pretty hairy at times. The wheel tracks on the other hand are scrubbed clean by thousands of car tyres which also leave a nice sticky layer of rubber for you to grip on to.

6. Also watch for unnatural spaces in the traffic. Generally when I overtake I use a 'run-up' so by the time im going past them I'm already going quickly and can get back in my lane asap.

The thing about the right lane is a good idea but it really leaves it all up to the cager. If he comes out you're toast.

This is also another reason why you should never tailgate cars. If someone on the other side of the road is itching to try and overtake, they might swing right out after a car passes and they see a 'gap' because you're too close to the oncoming car and pull right into you.
  7. All good points.

I like the idea of riding as if I am invisible. I guess this means I'm going to be in that L wheel track when the tailgators go past on the other side of the road.
  8. you're not supposed to actually try and be invisible.
    just always assume that you are.
    stay in the right wheel track so that oncomming traffic knows you're there, otherwise they just see a gap.
    if you have a car entering up ahead on an intersecting street to your left, go left wheel track so he sees you and not a gap
  9. You know that makes absolutely no sense to me, right?
  10. Not saying you're wrong but that is literally the exact opposite that they teach at the pre-learners course.

I agree with the pre-learners... Assume you can't be seen and buffer. Assume they will do the worst, most of the time you're not far off. If they can't see you in the right track chances are they will miss you in the left track too. At least if you're in the right track you've got some room from the car so you may dodge it etc.
  11. you buffer when you pass the vehicles.
    but prior to passing by, try and get into their line of sight.
    basically, you don't want to be hidden from view behind a car or truck, from the viewpoint of oncomming traffic, or traffic entering the road from intersecting streets.
    so in the op's case, if he/she was hanging out in the left wheel track behind a vehicle (for the sake of buffering all oncomming traffic)... the tailgaiting/overtaking car/tard may not have known there was a motorbike there when swerving out to overtake.
    ps: find a better instructor
  12. I think you got that backwards...sit in the left and you get to superman over the back of his car when he turns in.
  13. I have done the superman thing before, not much fun.
    Though it was a long time ago coming home from school and i was only on a bmx but i was doing about 40-50kph down a hill.
    Riding on the bike path(where i lived they had designated bike paths on the footpath to keep cyclists of the roads.
    Someone thought it would be nice to have a high hedge line the side of there driveway so they couldn't see up the hill and you couldn't see them coming out of the driveway until the front of there car was already across the bike path.
    It popped out about 1-2m in front of me, giving me just enough time to think (this is going to hurt) and not enough time to do anything about it.
    My front wheel went in behind theirs and between the guard, lucky for me though i had a motocross helmet on because i didn't like (stack hats) and it had the part that sticks out around your chin .
    I pretty much face planted their bonnet as i flipped over when the bike flicked up and kept going down the bike path on my back, didn't break anything but lost lots of skin and my shorts and shirt were pretty much only good for rags
    Didn't Really feel anything for a few seconds guess i was a bit dazed, was laying on my back and there was a very loud ring type noise that slowly faded and i could hear this woman coming closer going omg omg omg.
  14. Sorry to hear about the near miss John, awesome that it turned out the best way possible.
    I am sure once they saw the yellow honda they had an "Oh Shit!" moment... Mainly because of the big bad bikie they may of upset.
  15. Thats only really applies at places that cars would be stationary for extended periods of time.. ie. traffic lights, stop signs, carparks..
  16. I have to disagree on this monkeyman. The rh wheel track, is only the place to be under certain conditions, and with heavy oncoming traffic it would be wiser to ber centered or la wheel track, as my second preference.

The rh wheel track makes you too vulnerable in this scenario of busy oncoming traffic, mate.

17. No... That is correct. It makes you visible to the car. You swerve to the right if needs be, if they still come out, mate.

18. Glad to see we got that all cleared up then. ;)