Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

my first lowside

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by kaveman, Apr 10, 2009.

1. after 2 months on my first bike GPX250 i finally came off. i was going around a roundabout (all the way around) and basically lost the right side of the bike from under me. the bike skidded into the curb and i grazed my knee pretty bad, but other than that im fine. the bikes got some cosmetic damage on the right fairings, throttle, both brake levers, and exhaust.

i was pretty flustered when it all happened but luckily a really nice bloke who said he rides a cbr600rr was walking past when it happened and helped me out.

im not sure if theres any internal damage (i managed to ride the bike back home, depsite being in a fair bit of pain and really pissed off with myself), so i was jsut wondering if theres anything i should check for? also the bike took pretty long to start up once i got it back up. is this coz the oil had to move from the sides of the bike back down to the bottom? how do i check if theres any oil leaks etc? could i get any problems with the oil in the future? coz even when the bike started, i kept it in neutral for a while with the engine on and the bike nearly died on me again, had to give it some throttle to keep it running.

and finally, wat can i do to prevent this happening again? i realised i was leant over way too far, but it all happened so fast i never actually realised how far i leant until it was too late. i thought the lean angle was alright most of the way through the roundaboat, then just as i was close to exiting, i toppled over. how can i get a sense of how far is too far? i never actually braked at all throughout the roundabout, but i think i might have eased off the throttle a bit, is that what could have caused it?

i feel pretty relieved theres not too much damage (i basically only need to get the rear brake pedal bent back into position) and im ok. and this def wont stop me from riding in the future, but i do want to avoid this ever happening again to me.

2. I'm only new to riding myself, but have dropped a bike.

I haven't got much advice except check the headlight alignment. After I dropped mine, it wasn't until I had to roll it down to the shed in the dark that I found out my headlight was pointing up into the trees.

Make sure your front and rear brake levers aren't bent / cracked, and make sure the handlebar isn't too bent.

3. hi kaveman,
    sorry to hear about your off,
    had my first a few weeks ago to.. lowside as well.
    amazing how there always seems to be another rider around to help out.. good stuff..

I'll leave the advice for the more experienced riders to fill in but I will say..
    I'm pretty sure its normal for the bike to be hard to start once its been on its side.. don't think its the oil.. think the engine just gets flooded.

What where you wearing on your legs ?

good to hear you walked away.

cheers

4. first thing to check is your knee, go to the doctor, your bike was flooded, thats why it was hard to start, if it happens again, hold your throttle full twist and start it..

5. Ouch, sorry to hear dude :'(

[newb]
    Are you sure you didn't just give the rear brake a dab? Sounds a bit like you decided that you were going too fast, and reacted :)

Did you notice (or did the other rider mention) any oil, or did the surface look slippery?
    [/newb]

I wouldn't think that closing the throttle from an already neutral-ish position mid-roundabout would lighten the rear enough for it to low-side; hopefully some of the old hands will be along shortly to clear that up though :grin:

6. also shifting ur weight into the direction of the corner will eases of the lean angle but still corner the same... i am a heavy guy and using my weight in corners has helped me make corners and turns easyier.. u dont need to do the whole boy racer dealeo.. just shift half an ass cheek over and lean in a little

my 2 cents

7. If you shut it down near the limit of grip you will lose the front every time, if you were well lent over just backing off will load up the front tyre enough to make it dicey. We need more info to help you much more. Things as small as drifting on to the oil line in the middle of the road can cause a drop. Any more details you can think of might help, heal fast.

8. (assuming all other things being equal)

You just found out - THAT!...was TOO far...on that corner on that day, with those tyres, with those air pressures, with your body in that position, at that speed, on that bike...etc etc...
    How will you know for the next corner?...well you won't without alot of experience...and experience is something you have'nt had the chance to gain yet, and even then, you can still come undone..

Until you do, you have to ride within your own and your bikes' limits...yeah, yeah, I know...the age old question..."How do I know my and my bikes limits" - through experience, and a little at a time.

As abilities vary from one person to the next - THAT'S why you have to "ride your own ride" btw.

In the meantime, you should take a riding course or two to help speed up the learning process...but ultimately, it just takes time...a fair bit of time.

John.

9. Already, not finally.

10. +1

no need to think that you have to come off..
    there are riders on here that have ridden for decades without incident

11. Now now, no need to be a downer. There are people who have rode for a long time without incident but they have been quite lucky or quite careful, its not uncommon for people to come off, but its not a good thing.

Learn from experience, even the best riders come off when pushing their limits.

12. Totally with you on this, people should not expect to drop their bike whilst learning, it may or may not happen. Expecting it is just plain wrong though.

As for the fall,

Heal up fast mate, dust yourself off and try not to lose any confidence over it, if you happen to find yourself in the same situation again, roll on a little throttle, bikes stand up when they accelerate :)

13. The bike is probably flooded. No big deal. no real damage. it takes more than that to break a bike. The main thing is you are ok.

You just bit off more than you can chew that time. More experiance will not necessarily make you more better. You have to conscious of what you are doing and how that affects your riding. Ride safe and get well soon. grazed knee hurts like hell

14. Sorry to hear about your lowside Kaveman, but at least you escaped relatively unscathed.

The difficulty you experienced in restarting your bike afterwards was most probably due to the engine being flooded with fuel while the bike was on its side. It's something that should right itself.

It's difficult to provide further advice without knowing the exact circumstances which led to your spill, but it's fair to say that roundabouts can be tricky at the best of times!

One technique that you may find helpful when negotiating tight turns at low speed in future is to "counter lean" through the turn. This basically means you keep yourself centred on the seat as much as possible (or on the opposite edge of the seat if you prefer) whilst pushing the bike itself into the direction of the turn, as opposed to leaning with the bike.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Weasel
    "I live my life a corner at a time.... Knee down!"

15. if you're fresh to riding, fair chance you didnt lose it coz you lent too far. probably lean angle combined with shit on the road, or you tapped the brakes or rolled off the throttle at a heavy lean. i'd be surprised if you lowsided simply due to overleaning.

hope you knee is ok, let this be a lesson. buy some leathers, or textile pants with armour, or at the very least riding jeans and some aftermarket knee armour.

keep practicing :)

16. +1 also. I feel that I'm an absolute beginner and I probably will for the next 5+ years. Been commuting almost daily since January. I have had a couple of close calls with cars trying to kill me but I've not come off yet. I also hope I never do.

How you could lowside on a roundabout is a little beyond my comprehension. Did you go back and have a look at the road surface? If not, why the hell not?

If the road surface was ok then your answer is simple. You went in too fast and couldn't handle your bike in the corner. I'm not having a go but I'm not sugar coating it either. Slow it down, learn to judge your circumstances a little better. Don't ever, EVER expect to come off your bike. If you do in an emergency rather than going for a recovery you'll think oh shit here i go and throw yourself off the bike yourself.

Hope the injury is only superficial.

17. Do something with enough zeal and you can accomplish anything! :grin:

Motorcycle gods willing of course!

18. not4resale, you lowsided on a roundabout didn't you?