Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My first experience

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Buildings, Oct 23, 2015.

1. So here i am. I have done my learner's course. I have been having a very mixed feeling. I don't know whether I should keep giving it another go or give up for now. it was my first time on a motorbike. Never drove a manual car before.

I was probably too nervous for all the course. I had half of the time worrying about things, I probably should have let it go and relax. I did my test, and almost passed it which was like a miracle for me. Only didn't pass the curve test, passed the line for a bit.

I want to know from your experience, is it worth going back and give it another go ? Or a bit of nervous rider like me, will it get better by more practice?

2. Do you want to ride? If so, go back and try again.

Of course, practice makes you better. Riders never stop learning. We need to be careful not to fall into the trap of 'familiarity breeds contempt'.

3. Mate I was pretty much in the same boat as you, never driven a manual, never even ridden a motorbike and I just decided why not get my motorbike Ls. I did a pre-learner and the learner test in one day, I'd recommend doing that if you can, you will feel much more confident as you get to practice a lot before the test. If I hadn't done that I reckon I would have failed, I stalled the bike constantly.

It is definitely worth getting, the motorbike is the best decision I have made. I love it, had been a long time since I was excited to go to work but knowing I get to ride the bike to work has me keen daily. I was rough when I started of course, but practice practice practice and you will be flying around town no problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. It really depends on how much you want to ride a motorcycle. Perhaps you should think a bit about your motivations, exactly what you might want to get from riding, whether riding is the best way to achieve that, etc.

OK, so assuming that for whatever reasons you do want to ride, I can tell you something for sure, which is that a short beginner course in any real skill can tell you almost nothing about your potential to pick up that skill over time. People start learning new things at entirely different paces, and the variation has thousands of causes of which native aptitude is only one.

Use your first learning experiences as guides for what to practise, not as tests of ability. If you want to ride, you'll be hungry for everything you can discover about how badly you're doing, so you know what to work on. Absolutely, it's worth giving it another go. But do so with a 'learning' attitude (what are my strengths and weaknesses? How can I build on the former and work to reduce the latter?). In the vast majority of cases, if you want to do it enough to keep practising, the nervousness will fade with kms on the bike.

Regarding being a nervous beginner, you'll find plenty on the forums here who will admit to having been the same (check out this thread for an example, albeit on the road not a course). I was terrified the first time I took my first bike out for a spin around the block last year, and needed to psych myself up every time I headed out for a trip in the first couple of weeks. That settled with time in the saddle, and confidence gained by improving skills.

If you want to ride, go for it! In a year's time that first nervous attempt will just be an anecdote you tell to cheer up struggling beginners ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ...and, at a guess, you probably feel knackered after the experience, too, 'cos it can be fairly hard physically.

Only you can decide if you want to go on with the motorbike (or scooter) thing.

Being nervous certainly makes the course harder, since it "stiffens up" your body.

It's too easy for others to tell you just relax, listen and follow the instruction, but, basically, if you want to do it, that is what you'll have to do.

Not having driven a manual car, in its self, isn't a major drama so long as you understand the basics of what the gears actually do.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

6. I'll give you an analogy I used when I started riding on the road.

At least for me, starting to ride a motorcycle is a lot like public speaking.......it's a scary thing. I'm a very good public speaker these days purely because of one thing, I convinced myself I was good at it. Seriously. Every time it'd come up in conversation I'd boast about it, any time I started feeling nervous I'd reassure myself that most people dislike it and aren't good at it......so the majority of an audience isn't capable of delivering the speech.

I did the same with the motorcycle to a certain degree. I didn't convince myself I was Rossi. But I did convince myself that the fear I was experiencing was irrational and hence useless to my cause. So when I was finally standing in front of a bike at my course/test I forced myself not to hesitate, don't second guess, just get on the friggin thing and did whatever I was going to do confidently.

My advice.....I know it's often hard when starting out. We've literally all been there. Sitting on a machine and doing any speed faster than what a human can run isn't natural, doesn't feel natural and your brain is telling you you're an idiot for trying. Be confident in everything you do on the bike. If you make a mistake, don't stress....learn from it.

I very nearly failed my LAMS test in the figure 8....needed a couple goes. Since then I've commuted every day through peak hour traffic no dramas.

Finally, some places let you re-take the day at a heavily reduced price. ProHonda where I did mine (Ipswich rd QLD) had a policy that if you failed you could come back for another go for like $100. If you failed that you could come back for free until you passed. They also encourage people to get down to their little track just for practice whenever.

7. Yes don't give up, nerves should settle down heaps next time. It sounds corny but I found visualizing the controls and course helped a lot.

8. #8 Buildings, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2015
    thanks..yes i do want to ride :] it felt great, sitting on it when i relaxed and cruising around the tennis court. but on the other hand just bit worried. Don't know if I could handle it properly loll I never really a handy person

hahah thanks mate. it made me feel instantly better. :] I went to work today and got a big grin on my face. it must be a big step for you too. So happy for you you enjoyed that much!

I still cant believe I can ride a motorcycle yet lol yes over the 2rd day, I did get much better than the 1st. Speed still scares me too. But i so enjoy the freedom feeling it gave me

Today I step back into my comfort zone, and keep thinking about the good times I had when i was out of my comfort zone. Maybe I should give myself another go

hahahah thanks for the lovely post. Over the course, there were quite a few moments that all I wanted was giving up and go home. I dont know what made me stay till the end. Now I recall, i do feel very very glad that I did the whole thing.

I'm not much of a risk taker, and I do not like that much of high speed. I love motorbike just itself. The freedom and relax just as the rider and the beautiful curves bike made. It just looks too cool. its silly but this is just me. I would like my ride just casual and relaxing. I am still worried about my skill, already been a bit slow learner on it. I loved just chill out and ride it, cruising around.

I know exactly the high risk of riding it. That's the thing that puts me off it,so many things to look out. the danger just in few secs. While my other half telling me go give it another try. you might be fine.

In the end, it is myself that I need to get over with. :]

thanks :] Gearing changing wasn't a problem in the end. i was surprised about myself. But yeah its quite right, i need to relax and focus.
    Thanks so much for sharing your story with me! really appreciated..
    Now when i think about it, a lot of things went very wrong from the very beginning. I wish everything could go back and I could start over and things might be different..
    My biggest enemy is myself. Like other things in life, if I could manage that, then I will achieve.

Hahaha I would probably need that much training too if I gonna go for the test and carry on riding. It would be great I know that. Thanks for giving me encouragement. It made me feel so much better! =D Yea going back for another day training half price is good. I will seriously consider it

Yes thanks.. i never thought my first riding experience was like that. It was raining pretty much the whole time. was freezing on the bike lo

I have decided i either ride a motorbike or not ride at all.

yes relax and get over my own nerves is the most important thing. Gearing change not the worst, but get into the corner within the frame was lol

Thanks for sharing with me. I cant wait next time ride my bike too. will try your tips! :])

• Like Like x 1
  9. Definitely give yourself another go!

I did the Learners on the 125cc and then went home and purchased a brand new Honda CBR500RA. When I picked it up I SUCKED, stalled it twice leaving the shop and went straight into a backstreet. Puttered around in 2nd and 3rd gear, stalled some more, missed gears, couldn't get a feel of where the indicator was, bike felt way too touchy, I narrowly missed an L-plater (my fault), dropped it doing a u-turn and eventually called a friend to come and grab it and ride it to my house because no way was I going to handle the 60-80km/h peak hour roads home.

Honestly as my girlfriend drove me home in the car, and I watched my mate riding the bike back to my place I was thinking I had just made a terrible mistake buying a bike. I sucked, it wasn't comfortable and it wasn't that enjoyable. I felt awful. But the next day I went and rode for an hour around the backstreets, and the next day I did the same, and the next, and the next. It was actually 5 days of owning the bike and just sticking to 50km/h roads with no traffic before I faced a major road and some decent traffic.

A week later, or 2 weeks after buying it I was zipping around on any road that I would take my car on (minus gravel) without an issue. Some things were still a little rough (roundabouts in the wet!) but otherwise it was the best. It still is the best, I have had the most fun ever on the road with the bike. As I said I love riding it to work and back which in the past in my car has been a drag. Sometimes I have to drive to Melbourne from Ballarat and I would want that over as quick as possible, now, I take the long way, the 1.5hr trip took me 4hrs the other day because I wanted it too, I avoided freeways and just enjoyed riding the countryside. And I met some awesome Netrider people in Melbourne :p

Anyway, point is it was definitely out of my comfort zone when I started and I didn't enjoy it properly until maybe the 5th time riding the bike, but wow, when you start to enjoy it you REALLY enjoy it. It takes over! Keep it up, take it at your own pace, it is just you and the bike!

• Like Like x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. your story brought tears in my eyes ! for the last two days i have been thinking about whether I should be riding a bike or not. I had very rough training, with two days full on raining, cold and wet. Trainer very rough on me, which made me even more nervous on learning on the things. The only moments I really enjoyed were just riding it in a very slow speed over the tennis court. Rest of the time, got pushed to do all sorts of things i have never ever done. When I first learning the gear changing, i kept doing it to Neutral rather than 2. trainer got so angry at me, yelled at me in the rain multiple times, if you not getting it, i have to put you on a scooter. I dont want to ride a scooter at all. Somehow, i got passed it and managed gearing lol

One of the girls quit after 4 hours. I don't know why i stayed. The moment I failed the test, i thought i should never ever ride a bike or even trying. And on the next day today, all I can think of is all the good moments I had with it and felt great I did try it and stayed till end of the course. To my surprise, I actually started to miss riding a bike Lol wierd huh :]) Maybe I just need to put my head down, start to learn it properly, and give myself and a bike another try

11. That's the sort of trainer you can do without. Find somewhere else to go.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. When you say the tennis courts I assume you are over in Springwood, i found the husband and wife team that run the Qride course at Caboolture are much better trainers. If you can find your self a dirt bike and some space it's a great way to practice with a lot less risk than playing in traffic or stressing about dropping a shiny bike.
    Azza

13. Yea good point made. didnt work for me at all. I should find somewhere else and give it another go. By the end of the day, I dropped bike coz i was too excited or far too stressed. I knew I shouldnt, lol I should never drop my bike.However it happened. He came to me and said to you should really feel shamed about yourself

14. What a tosser! Go somewhere else and stick with it.....good luck :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. hahahah thanks. I am in West melbourne area. I have never tried a dirt bike. Wonder if it feels any difference from road bike.

Yea I'm nowhere near thinking of buying a new shiny bike or jump in the traffic.=p The first thing I need to do is to practice more than basic road skills. lol

16. yes I will give it another crack. thankQ =D

• Like Like x 3
  17.  Top
  18. Welcome BuildingsBuildings you stick with it, your feeling of missing it says it all to me and I'm sure all here know that feeling exactly, your a rider for sure, just don't know it yet.
    That instructor is wrong and HE should be ashamed, you go get that licience girl.

19. Welcome BuildingsBuildings !

For an alternate trainer/tester, check out HART at Cambellfield
    200 Hume Hwy
    Somerton, VIC 3062
    (Melway Map 180 - E5)

Phone: (03) 9270 1377
    Fax: (03) 9270 1315
    Email: hart@hondampe.com.au
    http://hart.honda.com.au/Locations#VIC

Excellent place for nervous learners, I highly recommend.
    Don't give up, riding is like nothing else. A cliche I know, but true. It sounds like you've got a little of the taste already, keep trying.

Best of luck.

20. Sometimes we need someone tough to push us to achieve ... but don't put up with rudeness. Shouting on the range is ok as it's hard to know if someone in a helmet can hear LOL

Sounds like you are hooked so suck it up :)