Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My first drop.. :(

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by TonySV, Jul 30, 2005.

1. I had been wondering ever since I picked up my bike how long it would take before I dropped her.

Well it happened today. Came right out of left field and didnt dream it would happen like this.

This morning i decide I am sick of feeling like I riding around in a sauna (jack + waterproof dryrider summit pants) so I headed off to Ringwood to grab some Draggin jeans. Enjoyed the ride up their as my confidence is pretty high now and know the bike pretty well.

So I pull up near Bikemart put the final small squeeze on the front brake and I start tilting to the left... next thing I know im slowly having to lower the big to the ground.. The place I had chosen to park was heavily cambered to the left which I failed to note..

All hot and fluster Im trying to lift the bike..
    Out of know where this guy appears and helps me pick the bike.. He held the bike while I gather myself and set the bike on its stand. He tells dont worry about it..
    I said thanks and he dispearred into the distance..
    He was a biker as he had a set of h/bar's in hand..

If you (the guy that helped me with the bike) happens to be a member of this board thanks again.

I think Ill have to hit the Gym so I can lift the bike a bit quicker next time.

2. three tips .
    1. getting too hot is justs as dangerous as being to cold.

2. there is a technique for lifting the bike , maybe someone can give you so pointers on a ride or in friday coffee.

3. while you are getting used to it ( iam assuming you are still learning) , rear to slow combined with front brake (gentlely) and more front to stop .
    until you get comfortable with the bike , its better to skid the back than lose the front .

as for drops , dont worry about them.
  3. curse those cambered parking lots!!!!
    All part of the rich tapestry or learning about bikes, it won't be long before you'll be dispensing the same advice to others!
    You didn't mention if anything broke/bent???
    And the tutorial on lifting a fallen bike would be worth the coffee night, I'd reckon; don't miss that opportunity!
  4. In all honesty lifting the bike is simply a matter of technique. I'm seen a 5' nothing girl lift up bike without the slightest of worry. You have to get under the bike and 'PUSH' it up rather than standing over it and trying to 'pull/lift' it up towards you.

Basically you should:

1. Crouch down on your knees on the side of the bike that the seat is facing (i.e. you facing the seat).

2. put one hand on the handle bar grip that's on the ground and the other on the frame, or somewhere secure on the side of the bike.

3. Using your knees and arms push up your bike.

4. Remember to keep the handle bars turned towards yourself to stop the bike toppling straight over to the otherside (i.e. the handle your holding turned into the tank.

5. Once upright use the hand on the frame to grab the other handle bar and (if not already hold that bar) immediately apply the front brake and keep the bike leaned very slight in to you.

6. Mount your steed and put the stand down.

I hope this makes sense. If not i will try and locate the Two Wheels article that explained all this. It was written in the same context as the U-Turn one. Using this technique almost ANYONE can pick up almost any bike (Especially light, little 250's)
  5. Damage was minimal to the bike as I had hold of the bike most of the way down. It was only the last 30cm or so which I had to let it drop..

Most damaged: MY PRIDE.

minor damage:
    1. Tip/End of front brake lever is grazed. No big deal.
    2. Start of pipe has a graze. I think I can polish that one out..

twisted the mirror upside down which i didnt realise until i was on the road ... doh!. So much for the pre-ride check :eek:

Thanks for the tips.. I do remember reading a article out "walking" you bike upright.. Just in the heat of the moment brain went into neutral..
    I was just lifting with arms and back which is not the way you have describe .

Basically I should have stuck my back to the bike.. grab the frame and push with my legs / walking it up. Seems so easy reading the advice..

Hopefully next time my brain wont go into neutral and I use the correct technique...

6. you've got it out of the way now - worry about it no more!

slightly OT, i saw a guy 'spin' his CBR600 on the stand last night when it was parked to turn it around... now that was impressive (and ballsy) :D
  7. I do that in my garage every day when I put my bike in as well as 4 days a week at uni to get it out of the tiny bike park.
  8. dont worry, we've all done it :)

I parked mine the wrong way on a hill and it just flopped over
    as I walked away :? no idea how I managed to pick it up either
  9. And we all think parking is easy, glad the damage was not that extensive.
    I guess it's the pride thing that hurts the most.
  10. I did that on the BB when I first got it.
    Put it down on the LHS twice adding some scratches. Then I threw it down the road, luckily for me it was on the LHS.
    It came back perfect after the repair :)

The SP tried to lay down on me too on the Ferry across the bay. It was only 3 weeks old. It got to the point of no return but it was not going to win.

200+ kilos becomes rather light when you quickly think how ugly scratches are :)

I was sore for 3 days afterwards, I think I tore every muscle in my arms and chest but I saved the bike. Thats the most important thing :)
  11. Ahh yes, dropping the bike.

I did that yesterday, not once, but twice!

Came around a corner and ended up going for a ride on the footpath and dropped it on the left side when it hit the grass. After bending the gear lever back into place with some help I got things going and went off to do a u-turn down the road to go back home.
    However the left fork was bent back so I had to compensate by steering to the right in order to go straight. This made doing the right-hand u-turn extremely tricky, so the bike started to fall to the right. It was held above the ground, but I decided it was going to be too hard to pick it up from that position so I gently put it down, hopped around and picked it up again. No damage from that though!
  12. This what you are thinking of?

But yer once the bike gets over 45 degrees the only thing that brings it back is pure determination coupled with a reasonably solid footing. And then you deal with the strained mucsles for the next few days.
  13. Sh!t happens

Cheers 8)
  14. it's definetly the ego that gets bruised. Dropped mine 2 times in one week, once at home and the other in front of a motorbike shop as a piillion was mounting. Now thats embarrassing!
    Zombie fund dicussion
  15. Thanks for the links.

I was wondering how I would go when I upgrade Speed Triple in 12 months time which is 40kgs heavier...

If that chick can do Im sure i bloody well can.. Im going to have a go tomorrow..

16. Most drops are at low speed - car parks, coming out of the garage etc etc. Done it myself.

Re picking up .. also helps to put it in gear, and some advocate having your back to the bike with your hands reversed like a gorilla. (not a problem for me; mine are like that all the time).

But I doubt I could lift my Sprint solo - 207kg dry; must be about 240kg wet. (That would exclude my tears dripping onto the bike).