Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My first crash yay !

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by fullvision, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Last Wednsday was so wet and rainy in the morning.
    I had my first crash Just after gaining confidence on two wheels and the idea of crash seemed very unimaginable
    Tram tracks + wet road + new rider = sudden slide and crash :)
    I have been told that and red about it many times but yeah overconfidence made me forgot about it and the angle should have been over 45 when crossing the tram track But I was in the middle of the two tracks !

Positives : was close to a motorbikes workshop called Moto service centre on Melville road in Brunswick Victoria they checked the bike and adjusted my bent gear shifter lever and charged me nothing !

Lots of motorists stoped to offer help ! Amazing and unexpected

I am unenjured and few cosmetic scratches on the bike thanks to the crash bars ! Now it paid off

Also my tire pressure was abit high ,about 38 psi instead of 35 as recommended ! I believe this was a factor
    Ride safe everyone , no more riding in wet weather for me at least for few months till my ego recover :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Good to get the first one out of the way without too much damage.
    My first one (also in the wet) I slid under the front of a car - driver had no choice but to help out:oops:
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1

3. as the tyres warm up the PSI will increase, so this is normal. If the recommended PSI is 35, this is when the tyres are *cold*. If you have a pressure gauge, check it first thing before you ride, and then when you get to work/the shops, you'll soon see the difference. My rear tyre PSI is recommended at 36, but after a few hours it'll read 41, so no worries.

Great learning experience, and it's great that people stopped to help, people can be awesome and generous :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Yay fullvision crashed! just kidding (your post makes you sound very excited is all :p)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Parking your bike under a car is an sure way of getting a driver to commit to helping out. :ROFLMAO:

Good to hear you're analysing the cause, with what can you do to prevent it happening again 'fullvision'. But don't be apprehensive and postpone your next outing in the wet. For a motorcyclist riding in the wet is very different to dry, different rules apply and it's difficult.

Face your fears, don't hide from them. But do it with wisdom, not necessity. That means, in your own time hop on your steed and go for a ride in the wet when you don't have a schedue or a destination. Practice mate. ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  6. As others have said, good to hear your OK, and get out in the wet again. I would suggest plan a route without tram lines for the next couple of wet rides, and then try again where you went over. You are going to have to get over it to get comfortable in any weather.
  7. Thanks guys , also forgot to mention I was doing counter steering when I crossed the tram track ! I was applying this technique all the times ! Guess not in Wet condition on tram tracks !
    And yes I am kinda excited and grateful for the minimum damage and its like been baptised as a rider lol
    Seriously I feel like a new rider after this experience :)
  8. It's not countersteering that caused the problem. It was expecting the tyre to get grip on the wet tram tracks. The only way to turn a bike over about 20km/h is to countersteer. If you keep a straight line over the tram tracks then you are not asking the tyres to provide any sideways friction to provide centripetal force for your turn. Hence, cross the tracks with very little to no lean.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Umma, he said centripetal. There's gunna be an argument.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Yeah. I thought about it, but sometimes you need to speak the truth, even when it hurts others feelings...
  11. Mistakes happen, once. After that it's considered incompetence.
  12. its getting harder to avoid getting stuck between tram lines with those stupid disabled tram stops they keep building.......
  13. Just minimise tram track roads in the wet if possible. You still have most of your grip in the wet, tram track grip is not great in the dry and nothing in the wet.

This is what I do. And I avoided tram tracks for the first few months anyway (wasn't hard for me to select a tram free route anyway)

14. Then you'd be incorrect. You need to reassess what caused this. There is absolutely no reason why a 3 psi difference should cause you to lose it.

It isn't that complex. Never ever ever cross tram tracks, wet or dry, at an acute angle. Never. Follow that, doesn't matter if the pressure is 20 psi or 60 psi - won't go down.
    • Like Like x 1

15. Key to crossing tram tracks is 2 things.... no lean.... Crossing them at as larger angle as possible.

If you are riding between them - then it takes a quick steering motion to create and angle and straighten up before you cross them at a reasonably wide angle. The ideal crossing angle is 90 degrees.... Anything less than 20 degrees and you are probably at risk... Actually make that 30.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Sorry to hear about the OP's crash. Glad to hear it wasn't too serious.

+1 for what adprom said.

It's easier to get in between tram lines than to get out from between them because the position of the groove between the line and the concrete tries to keep the bike's front tyre between the tracks: the front tyre has to grip over a slippery surface to get out, but to go in, the tyre has to grip on a relatively grippy surface.

The way that I normally do it is to start near the mid point between the tracks, and counter steer to lean/turn toward the track I need to cross. I then counter steer again to bring the bike upright while the bike crosses the line (keeping your arms perfectly relaxed while you're crossing the line - expect nasty head wobbles so you're not surprised if they happen, and DO NOT tense your arms if wobbles happen, because you'll only make the bike fall if you do). Once I've crossed, I straighten my line. Note that the longer you're in the tram line's groove, or on the line itself, the more likely you are to have a head wobble, potentially leading to a crash.

With that last bit in mind, there's another technique that I use when I have confidence in the amount of grip on either side of the tram track: using counter steering, I lean the bike, then quickly flick it to the opposite lean, timing it so that the bike is bolt upright as it crosses the line. It's basically a quick lane change maneuvre (sp?), ensuring that the bike is upright at the precise moment that the front wheel crosses the line. It's far more difficult to get right than the slower one I mentioned first, but it works because you're giving the wheels enough sideways momentum to go over the track, irrespective of how slippery they are. I've never had a head wobble from this technique, but it also feels really wrong to flick the bike to and fro over wet tram lines!

Either way, crossing tram lines that you're riding between requires planning and *practice in the dry before you try it in the wet!*

Other tips:
    * Don't do it in a dip if you don't have to: the tracks are always wettest in dips
    * Doing it uphill is better than downhill because it reduces the load on the front tyre
    * Doing it near the top of a rise is best because there's less accumulation of water than near the bottom
    * Ensure you're not going to hit someone by doing it
    * Don't brake, slow down without brakes, or accelerate while doing it, because it will cause skidmarks in your undies, and possibly cause you to crash!
    * Keep a nice constant speed while doing it

Good luck! :)
    • Agree Agree x 1