Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My First Crash/Slide

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Bbq_Lover, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Well now i can say i'm part of the club!

Travelling home tonight, on my usual route from uni back home, coming up Bulla road just before the entrance to Eastlink a car pulled across one lane and into mine. I locked up the back wheel and the back of my bike did a little dance before throwing me over the handlebars and landing me head first on the road. Thank god I'm OK.

As i'm a relatively new rider and had never ridden in the wet before i was taking care and leaving plenty of space between me and the car in front. Might be time to attend one of those rider training days :). Crossing tram lines was a bit scary and not knowing how much grip my bike has in the wet i wasn't risking leaning the bike over too much.

Overall I'm OK, but the bike (YZF R-125) suffered some minor damage, bent rear brake, broken indicator and some road rash. I'm also going to be up for a new helmet. Now the question is what to do next? Should i try to fix it myself or call a shop and see what they think. I'm not going to quit riding because i love it to much, but rather going to seek more training before riding in the wet again and take a little time off to heal the bruises and my ego.
  2. My thoughts are if the bike didn't hit anything, apart from the road, it most likely did not suffer any frame damage, unless it is one of those with an exposed members (like a Buell).

I'd fix it myself. but look closely at the handlebar mounts, pegs, anything that contacted the road or holding something that contacted the road.

In a fall, it is often the case that the forks will twist in the triple clamp as your handlebar hits the road and twists with the wheel trapped against the road surface. Your front wheel alignment may be out as a result - this will give you slightly asymmetric handling - it will feel weird. To check use a couple of straight edges or some string to check the alignment of the front wheel against the rear - This assumes your rear wheel is straight (that is, it isn't out of adjustment from moving one side of the axle when adjusting the chain and not the other, or by different amounts). If your front wheel is crooked, you can remedy this by loosening the clamps holding the fork tubes and straddling the front wheel, straighten by twisting the bars. Don't forget to retighten. There would be a recommended torque for these bolts. This is best achieved with the bike on its centre stand. This isn't always an issue, but often can be with even a minor prang.

Heal fast.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. sorry to hear about your stack, if theres not to much damage and or you're unsure have it checked by a shop depending on your location there's been a few mentioned recently that could be just the ticket
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. I had a look at it after dinner and found that the steering was a little bit out, i'll have another look tomorrow after uni and see if i can fix it.

I'm in Blackburn north so, Ringwood isn't really that far away. As i'm a uni student i'm trying to save money anyway i can so i may attempt to fix it myself and if i have no luck then contact a shop.
  5. all the best getting it sorted:]
  6. Welcome to the club mate, hitting the tarmac will give you a new perspective when you get back on the bike. I've been T-boned on the left in a roundabout and just last December went for a slippy slide across some tram tracks into my street.

Usual checks and replacements are always brake/clutch levers, handlebars, mirrors, indicators, etc etc. Definitely get the bike on stands and check that front wheel alignment. My experience from helping others and myself is that the front wheel ALWAYS falls out of alignment when the bike falls.
  7. Hi Bbq_LoverBbq_Lover Bad luck, if you went over the handlebars you had what is technically known as a Highside ( See The Dance of the Highside)

First things first, you say you are Ok but have you been checked by a Doctor, some injuries can be sleepers that may surface later. Your Uni probably has a medical facility you can go and see.

If you are trying to save money then you should have a go yourself. jstavajstava has given some good advice above. Steering being out is probably the forks twisting in the triple clamp so follow his advice in loosening off etc.

Worth thinking about your roadcraft after any incident to think about what you could have done to lessen the risk.

Visibility - Were you in a cars blind spot?
    Indication - Did they indicate?
    Escape routes - ?
  8. Tanks all for the advise cjvfrcjvfr, defiantly going to be working on my road craft by attending some training sessions and group rides. I know net rider organises some on most Saturdays and Sundays.
  9. Too bad Bbq_LoverBbq_Lover. Hope you still feel okay now that the adrenalin has worn off and your bikes not too bad.

So the other question is why you crashed, or why you locked up the rear brake ?
    Do you know ?
  10. As i'm not all that experienced in wet conditions, i think i panicked and just hit both brakes and locked up the rear. It all went really quickly so im not sure what actually happened but this is what i believed to have happened.
  11. Possibly, probably, if the rear locked up very early in your event.
    It's common for newer riders to jump on the rear brake in a panic and lock them up.
    The other thing that can happen is if you're in a higher gear and accidentally kick down another gear then you can cause a compression lock up on the rear.
    The biggest tip for wet weather riding is being smo-o-o-o-oth.
    It makes natural (flinching) reactions to stupid drivers very dangerous. It's why we need to watch everyone and try and stay a few moves ahead.

I was driving home from work tonight (in the wet) and had a Honda rider pull up behind me at the lights.
    He was really close, leaving himself no safety room at all, and right in the middle of the lane meaning he had very little chance of making an escape should someone else pulling up behind us not be paying enough attention.
    I wanted to get out and talk to him about his roadcraft and safety margins.
    We were waiting to turn right, and he impressed me further by leaving his right indicator on for the next 2 kms after making the turn.
    I tried flicking my indicators on a few times to tip him off, but nothing. I think he worked it out when I flicked my hazards on, and flashed my brake lights.
    I dont know how long he'd been riding, but I was worried for him.
  12. Glad you're ok and glad you know you need a new helmet! Rider training also useful too.
  13. Hope you're ok and sorry to hear it happened in the first place.

Just on this point, Stever42Stever42 do you think that this may be the result of having learner training still reasonably fresh in your mind where they teach you the emergency stop? My first emergency stop at training consisted of having the instructor yell 'stop' loudly which gave me a fright. I jammed up both brakes in fright and came off. Okay, I ducked, rolled and jumped up, no harm done and it taught me a valuable lesson, but I don't remember anyone saying 'by the way don't do that in the wet'.
  14. Glad to hear you're ok.

Did you get the licence plate of the car? I'd like to think that they (their insurance) would pay for your repairs if you've come off your bike to avoid hitting their car.

Most drivers don't look for motorbikes. When they say "sorry I didn't see you" that really means "I'm not being careful and I'm not paying attention and I didn't look". When the conditions are slippery, ride like you're invisible because most bikes are invisible to cars anyway.

As for tram tracks - try to get all your turning done before you cross them so your wheels are at right angles to them. Rubber barely grips wet steel. I've come off (a bicycle) in the middle of Swanston St doing a right hand turn over the tram tracks. It takes less than a second and bicycles are way cheaper and easier to fix than motorbikes.
  15. I am glad you are still up and around.
  16. Not really, I think it's just reactions taking over from finesse.
    You're still getting used to how everything works,and how much pressure to apply on the brakes to ensure a smooth stop and then in a moment of stress just jump on everything and overdo it.
    Training and practise helps to develop muscle memory so that everything happens naturally without you having to think about it.
    It's probably why so many say not to use the rear brake because it's so easy to get wrong when your stressed.
    • Informative Informative x 1