Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

my first blowout on a bike (well almost)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by raffiki, Feb 25, 2005.

1. i was sitting in teh right hand lane overtaking a truck with a prick 4wd up my arse when, the bike started to get a little wobbly in the rear which i just thought was the buffeting from the truck, as it was pretty windy. then in the space of about 2 seconds the little wobbles turned into a full on twist. cheese grater on 1 side, truck on the other, 4wd behind me, trying to counter the wind and a rear end with a mind of its own... oh baby what a ride 8)

i managed to get over to the left emergency lane with the dude behind me almost running me over and the wind nearly blowing me under the trailer :shock: :shock: i jump off the bike to see wtf is going on to which i find the tyre has no air and riding on rims (thank christ it wasnt the front or i dont think i would be here). inspected the tyre and found a round hole about 10mm wide which i would reckon was the result of a bolt or alike.

rang a mate, got the trailer and caged it home.

that was an exprience to say the least.

how many others here have had a rear/front tyre go that fast? any advice for the future or just hope for the best when it happens?
  2. Man your lucky. I hate 4wd's that tailgate, bastards. I've never had it happen to me and hope it never does. The RTA website has instructions on what to do in that situation but I don't know how usefull those instructions are. You should be glad your still alive though with that 4wd behind you
  3. Scary stuff mate. Glad to hear you are ok. I pray it never happens to me too. [-o<

4. Raffiki, glad to hear that you coped alright with the situation and that you weren't injured. What sort of cost are you up for in getting a new tyre?
  5. luckily i needed new tyres anyway so 280 for rear and 180 for front i think. it works out to 480 fitted or thereabouts, the memory isnt all that good. i told them to put some more metzelins back on, those were some sweet treads :)
  6. Never happened to me and hope it never does. It doesn't sound like you could do much more - I think you handled it quite well!
  7. Well done Raffiki!

Glad you controlled it and survived, I hate flat tyres, had a right hand front explode @ 110kph in a cage once, it handled like a sug with polio at the best of times...

Dunno if I should have read this post, last time I read a post about something breaking (speedo cable) mine went out in sympathy!

writes note to self.... double check tyres before riding home

8. Gee Raffiki you are lucky!! :eek:

Seems you handled it very well. As you said, things could have been quite different if it was the front tyre rather than the rear - but don't worry...you're safe and the bike is fine (bar the tyre) which is the main thing.
  9. It's much more 'fun' when the front goes down ;)

Pucker-up :shock: