Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured My first bike

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Greggy86, Dec 27, 2014.

1. G'day guys,

I have finally decided on the bike that I want, and will be purchasing in mid to late January. I have decided to get a Yamaha XVS650 Custom. I have heard nothing but great things about how reliable, bullet proof and hassle free they are, but more importantly, it was very comfortable to ride and I felt like a total bad ass riding it!
    As this will be my first bike, what tips do you guys have for owning a brand new motorcycle when it comes to maintenance and overall care. And also, what is the best way to get a good deal from a dealership, like would it be worth trying to get the dealer to throw in some accessories like a cover or motorcycle gear.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Under $10K Ride Away in Brisbane.If you have cash you may get a few free goodies or services thrown in.The post Xmas time is slow for motor dealers. Good luck!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Yeah, I'm in Brisbane. Good to know that after xmas is slow, I guess they would want the sale and willing to do what they can to get the deal done.
    And I'm on an open restricted licence, it's kind of like my L's but not. I have done my riding courses, but still no expert in riding, but I'm a confident rider.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Oh I see, my bad, I'm not sure about any practice sessions in Brissy
    'Open Restricted' .. sounds like an oxymoron...
    Anyway, I know there's an article about buying USED bikes but not so sure about brand new

I found this http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1876948
    Whirlpool usually has info on just about everything..
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks for the help!
    I'm on an open licence which means I don't need L or P plates, due to doing riding courses. But I'm still restricted in engine size.
  6. Oh I see, whats the largest capacity you can ride?
    Does power to weight matter?
    In NSW power to weight is the determining factor with capacity going up to 660 I believe
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah, I'm sure it's exactly same in QLD.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. #9 BENNY THE JET, Dec 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2014
    Go in with money up front and no finance and you will be surprised what you can get :woot:

When it comes to maintenance,read your manual thoroughly and don't miss your first service at 1000km.
    Then shop around for a good service agent and do your homework :woot:
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I'm guessing you don't have too many choices for dealers up there if you're planning to purchase new.
    If they still have a 2014 model then you should be able to get a bit of money off that compared to a 2015.
    Just push them for whatever you can get. Rego, stamp duty etc.

There's been plenty of discussions on here re the 650's. Look at the cruisers forum, or search for XVS650.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Agree 100% with Benny The Jet.
    The first 1000Km service is vital. Also check your fluids regularly in case of anything that might be loose and leaking after riding.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Greggy86
    - Apparently - "Please remember all. All motorbike dealership in January drop their prises for motorbikes due people loading their lic during these double dd. After year sales if you want to grab that you wanted for few thousand cheaper. Keep this in mind. For cheap gear. Every store will be having massive discounts but with mca check online or call make sure your local shop if dishing out mad discounts. Remember if you don't ask for the discounts you won't receive discounts. Happy Boxing Day shopping all."
    if it helps =]
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks to everyone who responded. Can't wait to be part of the riding community! I will upload pictures when I get it. So excited just thinking about it hahaha
    • Like Like x 1