Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My first bike

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by TGM, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Well, last Thursday I brought home my first bike:

1989 ZXR-250A

Here's my (maybe odd) thoughts on the bike so far.

She's got some scars but otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford her. At least I won't cry if I drop it. And they have the added bonus of extra speed in the corners I hear. ;) Most importantly it's in good nick mechanically, engine revs cleanly, starts quickly, engages gear well, no play in bearings, etc. Lucky seeing as it was probably a Sumoto bike.

I know I should have gotten something sensible like a ZZR or a Spada, but I made this decision with my heart and not my head. Motorcycling is a budding passion to me, not transport. So I'm willing to deal with any issues that might arise with getting a highly strung and old/thrashed "sports" bike.

The moment I saw it I had to have it, it even matches my leathers and I got them two months before the bike! Riding position is exactly what I was looking for and this bike feels better between my legs than the other LAMS bikes I've tried. Feels a lot more secure when cornering, but it's not like I have any real experience to be able to say anyway.

The shopping list down the bottom is a bit try-hard IMO, but I don't care when the bike feels this nice. The exhaust is also bloody loud, don't know whether that is a good thing or not but the little kid in me loves it. :D

Servicing it will be a pain, but I've got the time to learn. (Who thought having to remove the radiator to change spark plugs would be a good idea?)

The horn sounds exactly like roadrunners "beep beep" and as such is useless for any purpose apart from making me laugh. :LOL: The exhaust is actually much (MUCH) louder and more useful when the stupid car in front is sitting at a green light texting...

So I really couldn't be happier, can't wait to get to some of the learner rides and eventually hit the twisties/track.
  2. Congrats on the purchase mate.

I recently (about 2 months or so ago) got my cbr250rr, had a more practical gs500 prior, was nowhere near as much fun as my current bike. Totally with you on the passion for motorcycling outweighing the practicality of a machine, even if it is a daily commuter!

Have fun servicing too, spark plugs took me ages.. haha.

Enjoy your bike!
  3. Congrats on the bike!

I got pretty much the exact same thing (even has similar damage by the looks of it:p ) a few months ago and am absolutely loving it. Heaps of fun around the twisties.
  4. ^ Awesome mate, we'll have to go for a ride when I get a bit more experience. :)
  5. For sure!

We can have a battle of the baby ninjas :LOL:
  6. Nice bike TGM. I'll have to keep an eye out for you around the streets.

If you're up for a ride one day give me a yell.
  7. what? piss easy to get out......

nice bike, if you think about it, what bike hasnt had their speedo turned back, isnt a shatmoto or similar (someone else coulda jsut done the same think but sold cheaper) or thrashed the crap outta? if it runs fine, has regular service, should be good for a few years
  8. ^ True, you can also assume that every old learner bike has been dropped at some stage too. At least I had a police report detailing the way mine was. :LOL:

Just out of curiosity, how do you get the spark plugs out on a RR? A mate of mine is gonna buy my brother-in-law's CBR and it'd be handy to know. My brother-in-law said that the inside two are blocked by the frame or something like that.

I'll keep a lookout for a blue ZZR and I'll stop and say hi if I see it. :)
  9. If you do some googling you should be able to find the workshop manual for it, which would include how to change the plugs. Perhaps the cbr250 forum may have a link to it too.
  10. I do have the manual already, I was just wondering if there was a "knack" to it. Oh well, it'll be a few weeks before he gets the bike anyway so I'll figure it out then I guess.
  11. nah, on the RR's its pretti easy, frame just constricts some of the movement.

Wiillz and I got my sparkies out and cleaned them because *cough* i kinda flood'd the engine *cough* over the couple days i stripp'd it to figure out what was wrong with my bike when my clutch cable was actually loose.

Just takes some fiddling around. Wiillz is the man :grin:
  12. I wanted a ZXR for a few years before I actually got the money to buy my first bike... but you put it well, it is a head/heart decision. I personally went for the vtr but I still crack a big fat smile whenever I come across one of these on the twisties.

Some guy on my street has the same colour ZXR, they sound so sweeeeet.

Have fun!
  13. Yeah they sound like a mini F1 car when you have them up above 12krpm.

But a V-twin sounds pretty awesome too. :)
  14. Hey mate, i live in Baysie pretty much the next suburb over.

Sweet bike, might see you around sometime!
  15. Nice bike, well done - hope you enjoy it!
  16. Ooh I am! Just got back from a ride, got my first nod! I actually got two! And one was from a cruiser dude. :cool:

It's weird jumping off the bike and into a car. The car accelerates so slowly, I had the pedal to the floor and was thinking "this is it?" without realising what I was doing. Also, it seems like you're going so much slower.

I also find that I tend to purposely take a longer route on the way home, turning a 5 minute trip into a 20 minute one. :D