Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My first attempt at riding (long)

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Four40, Apr 21, 2008.

1. The weekend past, I did my stay upright course. I did not pass.

Now this is not a bad thing, I have never driven a car or ridden a motorcycle before. I made it to the last activity of the second day when the bad thing (tm) happened.

I was instructed to take off, follow the course via a right hand lane, indicate to stop at a tight left hand turn, which should be taken in low speed and proceed to a stop sign. From there, mirrors head check and pull out to continue around the course.

I got to the first corner, preparing for a low speed turn (first gear, fast idle, friction point and rear brake) when things went wrong. In the space of a few seconds, I almost had the throttle on full and went flying in a straight line, fortunately stopped with out hitting anyone or dropping the bike.

Still managed to do the right procedure for turning off the bike and dismounting, and waited for one of the instructors to come over and check on things.

Needless to say, I did not want to continue at that point and they took me off the course. I'm just glad that I had the run off space and it was in a controlled environment.

My first mistake was to choose the Honda CB250 road bike, it was too small for me (physically).

However, I did manage to get up to moving and had a hoot doing the corners. Even though I have not ridden a motorcycle, I have riden a mountain bike for many years, so the whole counter steer thing was a skill I already have.

I stalled heaps of times, put my foot down on two occasions and dropped the bike once. I'm very happy with what I have learnt so far and I can see the why people like to ride motorcycles.

I will re book my course and hopefully get one within the four week period that allows me to take it again without paying. The instructors did give me information about private lessons, which I will try and do, as I might be able to achieve the competency without doing the 2 day course again.

All in all, it was a brilliant way to spend a weekend and it has other positive effects;

My helmet was excellent in use, a Nolan N102. The flip up came in very handy, even the instructor commented on the easy of use.

My boots were comfortable and, for the most time, I was able to get a good feel of the gears and brake lever.

My overpants were also comfortable, after removing the winter lining. I still had soaked shorts underneath, but overall, they did their job.

My jacket was not too tight when controlling the bike and again, after removing the winter and waterproof liners, felt comfortable and relaxed.

My gloves however did cause some issues. They're Dri rider Storm and are a pain to get on and off, with the internal liner moving around a bit. They did give me decent feeling sense with the controls and will not doubt come in handy in the brisk Canberra winter ahead.

After riding, my options of what bike to get has been broadened, I am now looking at dual purpose bikes and naked road bikes. I didn't beat up on myself for this temporary set back and my brother may have a dirt bike that I can use to keep what I have learnt fresh for the next time.

So after this long message, the thing I would like to stress for new riders is this;
    When they say no experience necessary, they are correct. Listen and ask questions and most of all, enjoy yourself.

Thanks for reading :wink:

2. Yeah good stuff, 33 and never driven or ridden :shock: Well good on you for giving it a go, yep naked or dually is the way to go IMO. :cool:

3. Hey Four40,

If it’s any consolation, I didn’t pass my Ls test the first time I did it either. Similar to yourself, I received a huge shock when I dropped the CB250 whilst pushing it around the cones. At that point in time, I knew I wasn’t prepared and backed out before I hurt myself (or someone else).

But I’m glad you’re super positive (unlike me who refused to get on a bike for 6 months after that)! You’ll be fine next time around, and take it easy *hugs*

4. small gradual steps ... Very Well Done! Especially considering You haven't ridden or even drove before.

My first road bike was a dual-purpose, however after a few months I heard a 'hornet' call from afar. Nakedness can be a wonderful thing :wink:

5. Bad luck about the fail and congrats on wanting to have another go.
    I question whether you are to big for the CB though. If you're over 6'2" maybe but I'd say its more a case of inexperience.

Better luck next time.

6. I'm 186cm and have large legs from all my cycle riding. While I felt ok sitting back on the seat, sitting up against the tank was uncomfortable. Inexperience is definitely a part of it, I'd fool no one into thinking it wasn't.

As luck would have it, there is a spare spot in this weekends course, another weekend of riding, \:D/

7. Then we look forward to a positive report from that! Congatulations on joining one of the world's great legal consipracies :).

8. LOL! That is nothing to do with large "legs"! ;)

I am 190cm and found the CBR250 a little small, felt like I was just perched on top of the thing. The KLE is perfect for me and the seat goes up the tank a bit at the front, perfect "leg" comfort!

Adam

9. You did the course so that you could learn alot, and that's exactly what happened. WELL DONE, mate!. :grin: ...and great attitude!

Now when you revisit, you'll be so much more prepared for it all.

John.

10. you'll be fine the next time you do the course again :)

also, if its any consolation, i happened to crash at 60kmh on the first day of my licensing.

good luck for next time :)

11. Im about to do my pre learners course aswell. Just thinking about it makes me nervous! Im sure you'll do heaps better the second time!

12. +1, I'm 6'4" and did both my L's and Licence tests on a CB no probs at all.

Better luck next time.

13. I had very similar experience at Pre-L course: stalled number of times, dropped once, and went ballistic with full throttle.
    Course was on Honda 250 bike which was way too small for me at 6'3. There was no other bike model available. I felt really discriminated against my height.

I couldn't sit on the bike without my feet pushing on gear lever and brake pedal all the time. To keep riding I had to constantly keep my feet curled up in tension. And instructor shouted at me "keep your foot off the brake!". Only if I could!

During the course I had same feeling as you to just quit it, but mostly because of bike was too small. But I kept it together and passed.
    As result of course it was pretty clear that small bikes, any sports bikes, naked will not be rideable for me. Even small cruisers didn't fit.

14. Take your time.

I did a 9 hour 1-day crash course :) and I have never ridden or driven before. I never did over 25km during the course. Once I got out there I felt unprepared so I did a few laps around my neighborhood (around 10km) then I went out onto a street that I knew very well to fill up on petrol.

I became more comfortable riding after that :) and now I'm up to around 320km no drama, no near misses.

Cramer: didn't they instruct you to keep your toes pointed outwards like on a 45 degree angle? You aren't meant to be touching the pedals at all.

15. I was told something to that effect and it helped a bit.

I'll be looking at picking the trial bike this time around, after chatting to the instructors. At the end of the course, they hand out a sheet of all the key phrases used during the course, which is very handy and lets me keep it fresh in my mind.

While I want to do this course properly this time, I wish it was over already, I want to go look at bikes :)

16. This weekend, I did my re try at the Stay Upright course and I passed :)

This time around, I was more relaxed and felt more comfortable with the bike. I didn't stall or drop the bike at all, with lots of good take offs from stop. Today was a good day to learn, it rained most the time, at times quiet heavily.

While I did stall at times during the "simulated road exercise", that helped the other learners by keeping an eye out and keeping the 3 second gap. It's amazing how hectic things get when you need to actually use indicators.

My Ixon Sismic and Climbers did a great job of keeping my dry and decently warm, I zipped out the thermal liners because it was not that cold and at low speeds, I'd overheat. Gloves did a good job of keeping my hands dry, but they're a bugger to get on with wet hands. I'm very happy with my Nolan N102, especially during the rain, I didn't have to take it off when listening to the instructors. Boots didn't let in much water, I"ll be looking into some overboots next time I go looking for a bike.

All in all, I'm glad I had the second attempt at the course, the extra hours of riding really helped.

So now for the fun part, looking at what bikes to buy. :dance:

Add another grinning rider to the fold :grin:
    Now off for a (ginger) beer

17. Congratulations!

To do the course on the cold windy rainy conditions is a bit crap! But you have pulled through in the crappy conditions which is great!

18. well done!
    i must say, i was pleasantly surprised that you failed the first time. nothing personal of course, it just means that they arent pushing everyone through, and making them hit the streets unprepared.
    so, congrats on demonstrating that you have enough skill to take the road on, and happy bike hunting :)

19. Agreed. After doing the course the first time, it amazes me that people who didn't have the opportunity to do a course like Stay Upright have managed to survive so far. This is with a no experience rider in mind. Add to that, no restrictions for what bike you could buy, leaves me cold.

Just got my learners endorsed at zero cost, that's always nice.

Added bonus, there is a Motorcycle Festival on this weekend, http://www.ridekickstart.com.au/bikefest/bikefest.html

20. Congrats on passing, Four40. :)

As for discrimination against Really Tall People (6'4" here), unfortunately it's our fault for being taller than 97-98% of the world's population. :grin: Most engineering stops at the 95th percentile (5'11").

The CB250's not that bad for us lanky people. I can think of far worse. (I can think of far better, too)

Any idea what kind of bike you're looking for? Sportsbike? Standard? Dualsport? There're some surprisingly spacious bikes in each category - even the RR bikes. Some surprisingly cramped too, 'course. :)