Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My first accident

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by PreviousUser8, Aug 26, 2007.

1. I have dropped the bike previously but that was more of a "gently lay the bike down and step away" incident. Yesterday, I stacked it good 'n propa.

I had gone for a long country ride by myself, hoping to make a loop back into town as I was told there was a connector road between two country roads leading out of town. I would go out on one, cut across on the connector to the other and come back on that one. Little did I know that the connector had 8kms of gravel road. So I was whizzing down this country road for ages, passing these gravel roads thinking "Nope, can't be that one." When I realised I'd either passed the turn off or there wasn't one, I decided to chuck a U turn at a T junction.

I made the half the turn and pulled up at the T junction, about to turn right, back onto the road I'd just come down. I double check I was in first gear, indicating correctly, checked both ways, all good to go.. I pulled out and stupidly looked at the gravel on the other side of the road. I swung wide, realised I was about to hit the gravel, looked exactly where I wanted to go in the hope of saving it, hit the gravel which washed out the back tyre a bit, came back onto the road, regained traction and flipped straight down onto my left side. I don't know if I hit my right side at all but the bike was a bit mangled and my right hand glove has a really good scuff in the leather so I'm guessing I did. All I remember being quite heavily lent over on my right side and then suddenly smashing my left shoulder into the ground.

It's funny - when I landed on my left shoulder I thought to myself "Oh, this isn't too bad. It's going to hurt tomorrow but.." then my head hit the ground and I thought "Holy Sh*t.. that hurt!" .. I always thought hitting the ground with your body would hurt more than your head which is protected by the helmet. I guess not.

I knew there were cars around and didn't fancy getting run over too so I got up, picked my bike up and tried to inspect the damage. A very nice pregnant woman with a child in the back pulled over and offered me a lift to her parents place as we were out of mobile phone range.

When we got to her parents place there were dirt bikes and quad bikes everywhere. Her father and, I assume, her brothers jumped into their ute and went to pick the bike up. They brought it back as I called RACT - who informed me I would have to pay for the tow truck as it was an accident and not a breakdown, therefore I wasn't covered by them. :roll:

The women of the family told me all about when they'd each fallen off and not to worry while the guys got the bike off the ute. The tow truck arrived and the guys got the bike on without any trouble and actually compressed the forks (my friend broke his chain three days ago and the RACT guy didn't compress the forks - bit worrying for me driving behind but that's another story)..

The tow truck driver informed me that he rides a harley and that I hadn't lost any "bark" so it was all good. I told him that I'd be considering given it all up a couple of days ago but after my accident I was going to stick with it, if only out of sheer stubbornness and a extreme dislike of being beaten. He looked across at me almost proudly and said I should join some of the annual collective bike runs.

My friends picked me up from the tow yard and took me straight to the hospital where I was seen to by a very lovely nurse who reminded me of my boss, which was a little off putting. When I finally got to see the dr. about 4 hours later he informed me that he used to ride and would like to get back into it but just couldn't find the time. He sent me home with some painkillers and a get-off-work certificate for Monday. :wink:

I was really brave and didn't cry. Although, I came really close when one of the little dogs of the family who rescued me came and sat on my lap and rested his head on my hand out of what only could be described as sympathy.

So the damage to my bike (that I know of - it was getting dark) is a broken mirror, cracked fairings, broke clutch, broken gear lever. There's undoubtedly more but we'll have to wait and see.

The damage to me and my gear is a torn jacket at the shoulder, scuffed gloves, ruined helmet (obviously), sore neck, sore head, strained muscles in my stomach, shoulders and back and a sore wrist. My boots and Hornee jeans don't have a mark on them.

The insurance have just told me that I'll owe them about $1600.. and they'll sort it out tomorrow as I only had a cover note on the bike and they need a manager to sign off on it.

So.. in summary, I had my first stack and everyone I met rides/has ridden, basically gave me a figurative slap on the back and said "welcome to the club, mate"..

I'm sore but ok. My bike is broken but hopefully not unrepairable and I shall ride again. :)
  2. Good to hear it was not too bad an off. Best to get back on the horse that threw you as soon as you can.
  3. Unlucky that you came off, but seems like you got a good run of helpful people afterwards! Glad you're sticking with it.
  4. Bad luck, I really hate gravel and I'm really scared when I see it on the road. Sure its ok on a trail bike or one with big wide handle bars at low speed but for a sports bike with little handle bars it makes it even worse.

Glad you were wearing your gear and am just sore. How fast where you going when you came off?

I don't know much about ZZR spare parts but from what you have done I don't know if it would even cost $1600 to repair. Are you paying heaps of excess because you have only had your license for a little while and are young?
  5. Road bikes and gravel are a bad mixture. But you've already unpacked the incident in your mind, you looked somewhere and the bike followed, so that's good. Stay with it, these things are setbacks, but that's all.
  6. gawd I just hate reading about prangs. I get nervous enough. I think I have to stop reading them. lol

Otherwise I'll never get out there... :)
  7. $700 to pay out the year's insurance.
    $300 standard excess.
    $600 because I'm under 22.

If I'd held off another four months my extra excess would have been $250. DAMMIT! lol

Yes, I was extremely lucky with the people I ran into afterwards. I couldn't have fallen into better hands if I'd tried. I can't remember anyone's name because I took a fair whack to the head but I will track them down and given them a big box of chocolates or a carton or something to show my appreciation for their kindess to a lost and stranded rider in a pink helmet.

I feel stupid for making such a stupid mistake. It's one thing the instructors drummed into me. "Don't look at the hazard! Look where you want to go!".. I also feel stupid that I'd made the majority of the turn and only had the incy wincy easy bit to do. Stupid, stupid, stupid. :oops:

I'm sorry! lol If it makes you feel better, my entire ride up until that point was wonderful. No traffic, great wide sweepers that you could lay the bike over on and commit to. I was practicing my counter steering, singing to myself, waving at other bike riders, enjoying the scenery, making a note on the difference smells between a field of cow shit and a field of sheep shit.. ya know, the usual stuff. I had lots of fun and will definitely do that run again. Damn, bloody U turns! :wink:
  8. Glad to hear you're OK.
    I'd find out exactly what the cost of repairs are gonna be, begore shelling out the extra $900 in excess fees.
    You may be better off not going through insurance?
  9. First thing, BUGGER about the spill!! That sucks!! No seriously, it does. Glad that you're ok. I was spewing to read your post since you only just got into biking! Bugger.

But I am confused... you were effectively doing a uturn... right?? How the hell did you end up with so much hurt and damage from what should have been a low speed incident!?????????

I'm not dissing ya, but I just don't understand and I've read your OP twice.

Did you take off with the zzr revving at 10000?????

I'd like to help you analyse the spill so you can avoid doing it again... but I think we need more input.

Anywayz, well done for seeing the target fixation thing yourself :)

Hope you get the bike back on the road in no time and that you mend quickly!
  10. lol No. I wasn't looking at the instruments but I guess I would have been doing about 3000-4000 revs and about 15-20kph. I think the majority of damage came from the rear washing out to the left as I hit the gravel so I was leaning heavily to my right and then catch grip on the road again and flicking back over onto my left side. The flip was more sudden than the speed I was doing. I remember hearing the engine rev as the rear tyre slipped out and I felt unseated a bit so I guess I slipped back and reefed on the throttle but I should have still had my hand on the clutch so I don't know if it affected anything much. I honestly don't remember everything about it. (I really had trouble recalling the month at the hospital)

It was a really stupid accident as I'd completed the hardest part of the U turn. I only had a 90 degree turn to make and I was taking off from a stand-still.

I don't know how much there is to analyse. I looked at a hazard, didn't correct in time and flipped my baby over. :oops:

How many kms does a new tyre take to wear in, btw? That shouldn't have affected anything, I think I had about 100kms on it so it should have been ok, right?
  11. 100ks is fine. I seriously would consider withdrawing the insurance claim, you are going to end up out of pocket big time. If the fairing is still opearational, as tough as it is to want your bike pristine, consider withdrawing and just fixing what you _NEED_ done (critical components)

All secondhand, don't see it being $1600 for a ZZR - good bikes, and hence as common as Dunnydores
  12. mate the $1600 included $700 cost of the Premium itself, Cariad only had the cover note at the time, and was yet to pay for the Premium.

thus the total excess she has to pay is only $900. this is alot closer to repair costs for the fairings/clutch lever/gear lever/ and mirror i would assume. whether it is more or less than the cost to repair, i dont know, i would still check it out if i were you, Cariad.

bumma bout the stack tho, i agree :cry:
    ah well, your learning curve just got over a steep patch :p
    heal well, and all the best with future riding :)
  13. well, no that's out of the way...

thanks for sharing.
  14. :?

Cariad, I used to ride a GPX - same motor as a ZZR and frankly it's got be buggered what you've done. They don't generate enough power at those revs to have the rear spin up under a bit of less traction...

Anyhoooooo, the end result is the same though.

Get thee to an advance rider course when and and as soon as you can, and let that "experience curve" climbing happen in CONTROLLED circumstances!!

Mend quickly :)
  15. i think the rear end slide on gravel. should pull the clutch which would shut off the throttle. it seems that you tried well with the clutch maybe not engaged enough... or too late already
  16. We're not talking a few loose stones. I ran wide, collected the "hard shoulder" which was actually a very soft shoulder made of gravel. The gravel was the newish kind of goldish colour, very dirty looking stuff that they use to fill in the edge of the road because it eventually compacts down. The rear tyre hit that while my front tyre was still on the road, the bike and I slid back onto the road, the rear tyre gripped and flipped me back onto my left side.

Maybe the rear tyre caught on the lip of the road. Who knows. The woman who stopped saw it all but couldn't stop giggling and I was too out of it to grill her for info about what actually happened. I'm sorry that I can't explain it better. :( I'll just have to chalk it up to experience and avoid gravel like the plague.
  17. Right!

You got waaaay outashape. :shock:

Slow riding skills primer for you then!
  18. Yessir!! :p
  19. omg again cariad :(, sorry to hear bud, glad to hear your fine & rdy to get on the bike again though, i'm heading up to lakes entrance this weekend with a few mates(awesome weather lately), I hope nothing like that happens to me

btw have you considered trying the advance riding class's they provide at motorbike schools? i'm booking myself in next week for one on one training.
  20. Nothing like that is going to happen to you. Just relax, take your time and focus on the basics. Looking where you want to go, smooth acceleration, good clutch control. (who am I to give advice though, eh? lol) You'll be fine! :cool:

I haven't considered an advanced riding course, I thought you had to be off your L's at least for those. I really don't have enough road time to warrant 'advanced' classes. Was thinking of paying for 1-1 tutoring. We'll see how I feel when I get my bike back. Will definitely take more classes in the future though. Why spend hours working something out by trial and error when someone who has been riding longer than I've been alive can just tell or show me?! :grin: