Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My experience so far

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Turbowood, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Hey guys and girls,

Just thought I would check back in and share some of my thoughts on riding a bike and the experience in general so far (2 months). I have always been a car person and still am but had to get rid of my performance car to make way for some life changes, getting married, moving, etc. To cut a long story short after weighing up the costs of the car I wanted, I decided that ‘bang for buck’ a bike was the right step to take. I have done a range of advanced driving courses and consider myself a very aware/ observant driver and this was one of the main reasons I could justify the potential risks of riding a motorcycle to myself (and wife, who has been very supportive, even though not overly impressed).

So I decided to take the plunge, I went and bought a CBR650f and while I was waiting for it to be delivered to the showroom I completed my L’s at St Ives. The L’s test I found quite easy once the initial nerves had died down, however it still amazes me that the whole time you never go over 20-25km/h or do any higher speed cornering and can then go and jump on a bike and realistically never do those speeds (only faster).

It finally came time to pick my bike up, I decided that I would pick it up myself from the shop on regent street in Redfern, in peak hour. I don’t think that it was necessarily a mistake but it was an eye opener, and I was pretty scared to be honest coming back through the city to Balmain. I made it home alright and decided I may as well keep riding in the traffic and show everyone I knew.

I am loving riding the bike and it has really filled the gap left by not having a performance car and It has paved the way for more respect of the road, especially in the windy parts. I must say though it has been much easier learning to ride already understanding that everyone on the road is out to kill you (this is the same philosophy that I drive with), and I don’t necessarily think that I would like to learn to ride a bike as a young guy/girl having never driven before and having to adjust to the aggressive roads in Sydney while learning to ride. That’s just my personal preference however.

Summing up I have been commuting to work regularly, getting out into the windy open road, and a bit of wet weather riding as well, and am thoroughly enjoying all aspects of riding so far. It has been a great experience and I am looking forward to completing some advanced riding and just quietly getting a faster bike.

Thanks for reading,

• Like Like x 13
  2. I just want to know how you managed to jump on that bike after completing your L's when the bike isn't LAMS?

Am I just too scared of getting a bigger bike before my restrictions run out?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Hey mate,

The bike is LAMS, the 2016 model is LAMS approved.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1

4. do it, get a thousand cc. no replacement for displacement
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Cool, I just saw the naked version on the website but no mention of LAMS for the faired version...

Jack096Jack096 , I've been told by more than 1 dealer to just do it, I don't need your peer pressure added to this ;)
    I think the only thing stopping me is the fear of riding an expensive bike uninsured...
  6. This is almost an identical story to my own. Had to get rid of the performance car as well and I agree a bike is a suitable replacement for the thrills even if mine is only a 400.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. great report, thanks for sharing
  8. Great to know someone has a similar logic to me in that regard.
  9. I got rid of my hot hatch for the bike too which is what attracted me to this thread...

10. Sometimes it does feel like everyone is out to kill you.
    I think though that a lot of the time people just look right through you, as though you are not there at all.
    You can not take it for granted for one moment that a driver looking directly at you and slowing to give way to you is actually doing anything close to that.

Make sure your looking after yourself first and placing yourself in safe riding positions on the road.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Most crashes occur at low speed. My 2x only bike crashes were below 60kms/hr.
    Riding fast on a motorcycle is easier than slow riding because you have momentum to keep you on a line even though the road surface might deflect your front wheel.
    I came from offroad bikes onto road bikes & was surprised how awkward roadbikes are at really slow speeds, like U-turns and climbing gutters.
    Riding gravel roads on a roadbike really boosts an understanding how a bike behaves when the road surface isn't 100%, although as a majority of people new to bikes buy a new bike, stone chips & the likelihood of gravel rash on the bike are major disincentive to do any of this type of riding.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Well, there is also the fact that if you get caught, there is a good chance you will lose your license, and then be back on restrictions for much longer...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. It might be an interstate thing, but rego is not 'insurance' for the bike or other vehicle damage, its just for personal injuries.
    Is that what you mean?

I mean I've been riding motorcycles on the road since 1988 and sure they're all been registered for the road (in Victoria rego includes TAC insrance) but no vehicles insurance at all with any of them.
    My car is different as cars kill, injure & destroy everything around them when they lose control.
    My opinion with motorcycles is that they're personal transport & I would never buy a bike more expensive than anything I could afford the totally replace if I rode it off a cliff. As for damaging other vehicles, well you would have to be ultra paranoid to pay - what's comprehencive insurance nowadays - a year, on the really remote chance that the very worst luck were to befall you denting a door panel on a Maybach.
  14. I'm not sure why you quoted me, I was talking about riding a vehicle you aren't licensed for and being caught by the cops.

Anyway - In victoria, rego pays for personal injury insurance, that includes third party personal injury. Riding a bike you don't have a license for, well that's asking to get reamed by the insurance company and in debt for life.

As for property insurance - I can understand not having comprehensive, but you are taking a big risk if you don't have third party property insurance.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. welcome to the forum mate
    • Like Like x 1
  16. hi mate, nice bike.
    I also filled the void in my heart with a bike after my brother wrote my first car off (my pride and joy) that I had built up from $400 piece of rubbish.
    *edit if anyone around my area thinks they saw this car getting thrashed to with in an inch of its life and being driven by a suicidal maniac, that would be my brother not me.

Attached Files:

• teg.
      File size:
      270.8 KB
  17. Thanks for the Hello's guys. As far as comprehensive insurance goes i think it is one of the costs that needs to be included in being able to afford anything. If you cant afford the running costs, i.e. insurance, etc then you cant afford the bike.

Attached Files:

18. So i passed the MOST, after a failed attempt on Monday last week. I was pretty bloody disappointed to not pass last week as i did everything right on my bike all day and then let the nerves get the better of me in the actual test and made a meal of it.

I went back today for the MOST and decided to just use there 125's to make sure i didn't fail and the test was a breeze on the smaller bike.

I will say though, im not sure what the real purpose of the whole day course is. They go into tiny detail on buffering, observation and crash types as if you are a complete novice (as in just riding for the first time) and dont treat it like you have been riding for a minimum of 3 months. the road ride was a 5min exercise of being followed by the instructor and doesn't hold any weighting towards the actual test. I was also quite surprised that one guys bike had an illegal tail tidy on it (no issue) and all of the other bikes had there tyre pressures back to front and way to low (eg.e 20psi in the rear and 28psi in the front), but again there is now relevance for this kind of thing in the marking criteria.

I think it would achieve far more if it was a one on one thing with the instructor who takes you for a road ride for 1hr and talks about it while you are out and about.

Just my thoughts. Nice to have the L's out of the way now.

19. I enjoyed reading this! I am about to do my MOST on Saturday on my 250cc. Good work on passing!
  20. Thanks mate, just remember to relax. The MOST test actually has a wider U-turn area and the left turn is also widened up abit. The whole day is all really straight forward.