Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My experience: Buying bike & gear.

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by moy71, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Hi all.

This forum and the information shared by all has contributed a lot for me and so I thought I'd share my experience in the hope it benefits other newbies like myself.

For several weeks now I've been eyeing the 250cc cruiser possibilites such as the Aquila, Intruder, Eliminator and Virago.

I really wanted to buy brand new but the most practical way for me due to my limited budget was to get a low mileage 2nd hand bike and the basic safety gear.

Well just this past weekend came the opportunity I was looking for. A near-new Suzuki Intruder with only less than 1,800 km on the clock came up and I couldn't pass it up. I was fortunate enough to get it for $5k after some to-ing and fro-ing.

Picked up the bike sunday afternoon, rode it 40km back home with my wife behind me all the way.

Then realised that all the motorbike accessories shops are closed sundays. What a bummer.

The shops finally open the next day and I buy a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5 textile jacket complete with elbow/shoulder/back armour with lining for $179.

Also bought denims with kneepads and leather lining on the buttocks and knee areas for $169. Was thinking of the kevlar lining instead but was more expensive.

Bought Joe Rocket gloves with leather palms and knuckle protection for $49

Finally after trying out a dozen helmets, settled for the Nolan N62 for $249. Nice fit, comfortable and lightweight.
    BTW, be prepared to get your ears and sides of the face burned/irritated from trying on all those new helmets.

Also, I took out a comprehensive insurance prior to picking up the bike as I wanted the peace of mind for the ride back home. Completed the application online and paid $185 for comprehensive insurance (38yr old rider, bike garaged with lock, 5yrs held drivers licence with no claim bonus 65%, weekend/recreational rider).

I omitted all the reference to the suppliers of the above purchases as I am unfamiliar with the forum ettiqute, but you can PM me if you want those details.

So far I am very happy with my purchase of gear and bike, all done within my alloted budget.

Happy riding to all.[/img]
  2. Nice start, good to see you went all the way with gear as well. I know a few mates who only want to budget in a helmet! "Why do I need gloves or a jacket?" :?

Anyway, good to see you up with your first steed, give us a review after your first long rider, eh? Stay safe, and have fun!

Cheers - boingk
  3. Thanks for the encouragement.

Somehow the rides that I'll be taking are very limited.

Just this evening after work I tell the wife that I want to ride so I can get some night driving under my belt. Her reply: No way, it's too dark !

Can't win really.
  4. *whip noises* =P haha

go for a long cruise on the weekend with some mates. should be a great learner exp/confidence booster.

get the wife in on the action.!!!
  5. Matey you sound exactly what I went thru
    Have a suzi intruder same price and kilometers and did the identical routine for the gear but fortunately all in the one day.
    Although I have started late I cannot keep off the bike
    I need to make heaps of kilometers, a lot of catching up to do!
    Oh by the way remove the pillon seat makes the bike appear bigger