Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My Cbr250RR review (looooooong, quick re-cap at end)

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by cookie, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Around 6 months ago I got my bike L's. I was 21 at the time and it had taken me 4 years for my dad to change from " if you buy a bike, your out of home" to "I just don't want to know about it" which was good enough for me.

Looking around the market and talking to people at work it came down to an Rs125 or the Cbr250rr. After riding both and deciding that the RS125 was more fun, I went and bought the CBR. Main reason for this is that i had read about Aprilia's shocking after sales support and the 2-stroke reliability issues that seem to pop up every now and then. 20,000kms between every re-build didn't really interest me either. The final decision came from one of my colleagues who owns an RS125 and told me if he had his way again he would have bought a CBR.

So looking through the market only to find that they are an absolute rip-off! Some people were asking $5,500 for a bike that was 18 years old with no history, a couple of scratches and "supposedly" 14,000kms, i mean what a joke!
    Then I had a look at what i was actually buying and the reason the market was so ridiculously inflated. The CBR is an extremely popular, very capable, very reliable, and for a Learner legal bike, very quick if you know what you are doing, which i didn't really!
    Yes you are going to have to fork out more money for a CBR, but they were $10,000 new for a 250! But the best part is that I believe the market will still be there when i go to sell in about 9 months time.

So I test rode a few, quickly discovering that imports were in general, in far poorer condition than the Australian delivered models. So after finding one that was reasonably priced with a couple of little extras (which i wanted but didn't want to pay for myself) i forked out my hard earned and rode home with an idiotic smile on my face. Thank god for helmets!

So after owning it for 6 months, completing one service and a number of tanks of fuel i finally had my first real ride. The girlfriend just moved down to Camden for her final year of study in Vet, so i thought i'll take the freeway and head for a ride round Camden before i drop in for the night.

First thing I noticed. I HATE riding on the M5. My Arse has never been so sore in my life. The seat is ridiculously un-comfortable and hard. It is also too thin and does not provide enough support.
    The pegs are too high, causing knee and hip cramps, which had me attempting what would have been very weird looking stretches. I have gate-keepered both my thumbs which is a fracture on the inside of the thumb right were the handles go. Both are healed but ever since i actually fractured them they have never been in so much pain!
    The gearing is far too short which hadthe bike was screaming at 9,000rpm the entire way, which was ridiculously painful for my ears.

Finally reach my turn off and instantly the bike starts to make sense! I find a beautifully smooth 270 degree off-ramp. I now know why by boots have sliders on the toes because the damage caused to the slider on that one turn would have ripped any non-leather shoes to pieces! First boot touch down!
    The CBR was FANTASTIC! Confidence inspiring, brakes that were excellent with good feel and the uncomfortable seating position now made sense.
    Through some flowing hills with continuously flowing corners and smooth tarmac. I was in absolute heaven. My confidence has been slowly growing since i have had my license and to be able to ride some good roads with no traffic and just being able to concentrate on what i was doing was excellent. Previously i had only been commuting to uni and to work, but now I understand why motorcycling is so addictive. Over 300kms clocked up (not including the freeway bit), pain in my knees, arse and thumbs, and once again an idiotic smile on my face.

I will definately be going back with the CBR, however I am going to get some professinal instruction to correct the bad habits that i have no doubt picked up.

For a learner legal bike, even though i am extremely in-experienced with bikes to compare it too, i cannot imagine anything better.

So to sum up
    - Crappy seat
    - Pedals too high (for freeway)
    - Geared far too short (for touring)
    - Poor fuel consumption (180kms from 13L!!!)
    - Seat fine for hills
    - Pedals good height (for hills)
    - Geared Perfectly (for hills)
    - When I am this happy, who gives a shit about fuel consumption!

Sorry for the ridiculously long post but I just had to say it. I love my bike, people can say I am a wannabe racer all they want and i really don't care. I just want more of the fun i had yesterday!

2. You need to get your bikes tuning checked, that is unless you're riding around in 1st gear at 19,000rpm all day long. Your fuel consumption is too high. I get 280km on a tank from my RR, and about 220km if i'm hammering it. It's not like i'm a 45kg rider either.

And of course it's got high pedals and short gearing, it's a sportsbike (yes regardless of what the litre bike riding "it's a 250cc so it can't be a sports bike" nazis have to say about it)

Oh and yes i agree, the seat sucks.

I'm glad you're enjoying your bike. My little cibbie has proved to be bulletproof bar a couple or corosion related electrical issues (which i guess can be expected given that it was shipped from japan and probably build out of 20 other bikes...) and great fun to play on. I feel i've outgrown the cibbie now, however i'm keeping it in the family, it's going to become my GF's learner bike.
  3. tuning is perfect on my bike. been on the dyno and made 40hp at the wheel with a nice A/F ratio. i do let the bike warm up alot which could contribute to the high fuel consumption, and it was definately being ridden hard

normally i get about 220 before reserve
  4. Is there a gel seat option? Most of the other things are part and parcel of a sporty bike, but you can at least take good care of yer arse!
  5. Nice writeup. They are freakn fun little bikes and I take one for a ride whenever I can. Finding a good condition one is difficult, most are abused and crashed and still have high price tags, so the trick is to either get one for peanuts and fix it up or just get a decent one - but you will pay a premium.
  6. I certainly wouldn't be complaining about getting 220 before reserve. 4.5L/100km is certainly not a bad figure.
  7. Get earplugs.

Constant 9000rpm is perfect cruising for the engine.
  8. Good write up. CBR250s are very nice bikes and keeps its resale value.
  9. You shouldn't let it idle for too long. (Even worse if you leave the choke on)

From the moment you start her up, usually the time it takes you to put on your helmet and gloves is long enough. Take it easy for the first few kms not lettting it go over 10,000rpm.
  10. usually i leave it for about 2-3 mins whilst i brush my teeth etc. i never use the choke to start it so it is really just idling.

just filled up a new tank which i was doing a bit of fuel consumption testing on. filled up at 185kms and put in 8.5 litres. pretty happy with that. gives me a maximum of around 280 with reserve, although there was a bit more freeway riding in that than usual
  11. i just got one, took me AGES to find an aussie delivered 99 model in great condition

paid a fair bit more for it but i'm glad i did, its so much fun to ride
  12. Yep they have pretty decent economy. I usually fill up when it gets to 200kms, usually around 9 litres. You can get around 250 with switching to reserve.

One of the main negatives is the electrical problems you run into with buying a bike this old. Also being a carby-engined bike, they don't like to sit around for longer than a few days, or very cold mornings.

But you definitely get over that when you find some 2nd gear long sweepers and winding it out to its ridiculous redline. :grin: Then you look down and you realise you still in the speed limit :grin:
  13. Good write up, for what they are designed for they are great. :cool:
  14. hey man nice review... im thinking about getting one as my first bike if i can manage the $$