Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My Brother's First Week

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by ChesterCB, Nov 15, 2013.

1. My brother and his girlfriend completed their pre-learners course this week in Tuggerah, and have now got bright shiny new learner rider licenses. Both have a few years experience in cars of various sizes, and the girlfriend's family is very keen on riding, so there are many years experience available to them in different forms.

Today, my brother is taking my little bike (CB125E) out for a spin while I'm at work (by Christ I hope he's wearing the right gear!) and I'll be meeting up with him when I finish to go for another short ride.

Because I consider myself to be a "new" or inexperienced rider, with just over a years's riding under my belt, does anyone have any tips for how close or far I should ride from him, what instructions I should give him before we take off etc.

I'm going to be sticking to nice quiet streets for the most part, and letting him know that he can pull over any time he wants, but if there anything else I should focus on?

He's been known to be a leadfoot in his car, but the 125 struggles to hit 90 on a dead flat, and only hits 100 on a downhill, so I'm not worried about him tearing through traffic by any means.
  2. In traffic I tend to sit behind new riders although this is not ideal, their spider senses to danger ahead are not developed but it does allow you to control tailgaters a little more easily. If you have two more experienced riders then bookend the inexperienced ones.

Don't crowd them, give them space to make a mistake and hopefully recover. What you may not remember from when you started riding is how much more mentally and physically new riders have to expend. Frequent rests.

Practice braking if it is dry in a quiet area. It helps that you know how the bike behaves when you brake. The first time you try hard braking shouldn't be when you need it.

Have fun!
  3. +1 following a new rider. The way i see it;

When they are in front they are setting the pace and won't have to push their comfort zone if they are trying to keep with you ahead of them.
  4. Just remind him "only" 50km/hr still hurts when it goes pear shaped.
  5. Good tips all guys, thanks.

I did sit behind him, and there were times that I had to increase the distance because I picked at the odd tailgater, but he looked comfortable and in control the whole time.

Before we took off I made a few minor adjustments to the bike, including rear brake (taking up slack wasn't engaging brake light, now it is) and a headlight adjustment.
    The bike has a rear drum and a single front disk, so we talked about the importance of easing off the front brake for complete stops and using both brakes simultaneously rather than relying on the front.

There are things I noticed but didn't mention because I don't want to over load him: starting a turn mid lane, taking off for a left turn from traffic lights in the far left of the lane, etc. I did mention relaxing his arms on the bars.
    I also mentioned taking up the slack in the brakes when the car in front starts braking.
    I also need to talk about his head checks. He is doing them frequently, but he isn't turning his head enough, because he isn't canting his shoulders, but I figured he needs to learn to relax before we start adding in moving his shoulders around.

He's a naturally well coordinated person with great distance and speed perception and I have no doubt that his riding skills will exceed mine very quickly, and then he can help me improve :LOL:

6. Oh GOD does it hurt. 20 km/h hurts. And he's seen the bruising on my leg thanks to marsupials playing chicken, so he's keen to get the best gear he can on a tight budget. It's one of the reasons he's on my bike: spend money on good gear first, buy bike second.
    Wish I'd done that... no I don't. I wouldn't have my CB400!