Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My BMW R1100S

Discussion in 'Showcase' started by Superunknown, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Recently picked up a 2000 BMW R1100S and thought I’d share since I hardly ever see them on the road. If anyone has any tips on the BMW boxer let me know – this motor is quite a new experience.

I was looking for an all-rounder (sports tourer/naked) with a half decent pillion seat and more “sports” rather than “touring” to replace the SV’s (650 & 1000) I’ve had in the past. The R11S instantly jumped out at me on the bikesales pages, and the test ride confirmed my want. BMW’s clashing of concepts is fascinating to me, using the big, utilitarian, air-cooled boxer engine and trying to wrap a sports bike around it. For me, a torquey twin booming away in (BMW’s idea of a) sports bike is fantastic, but I don’t find too many people of my generation who agree.

I’ve only spent about 3 hours riding it so far, and I’m not disappointed. There are massive chewy gobs of torque that allow you to idle around town carefree. On the country roads it’s got plenty of go, although it’s nowhere near as fast as the SV1000 was. Moving fast across rough roads seems to be the R11S’ element, making my old 650 look quite incompetent with the way she used to squirm over this type of surface. Tipping in quickly is, as expected, a laborious affair but I’m planning to raise the rear of the bike a little to quicken the steering. It will never be a road scalpel. This is the sort of bike you can enjoy in the twisties, and then also enjoy the scenery on the ride home.

The BMW F800R was also on the shortlist. Test rode one and it was mind blowing. Problems were it was a little small for my tall frame, and it had this ‘perfect school prefect’ feel about it. It was fast and nimble, but didn’t excite me. The VFR800 was the top of the Jap list, but didn’t really take my fancy. Most of the Jap bikes I looked at had very poor pillion ergos for a six foot pillion and/or an I4 motor.

Anyway - Here are a few pics. The only mod I have done so far is to swap the clip-ons from above to below the top clamp (although I'm unsure if this has actually changed the riding position, this paralever suspension is a little odd). As I undertake more mods I might share them here.

289758_2829764624466_1269627385_33179072_1013874660_o by superunknown II, on Flickr

dscf1104 by superunknown II, on Flickr

dscf1109 by superunknown II, on Flickr
  2. I love this thing... gtz on the bike! I have to say I'm like you, I do love the idea of a torquey twin. Granted I don't have any experience of it, but I like the look. After all, I love the HP2 as well ;)
  3. Congrats on the new ride, may it bring you many safe, enjoyable km's!
  4. You will love it forever, Make sure you get a set of staintunes on it as it does sound really good with a decent exhasut note that's not obscenely or illegally loud, why did you lower the clipons? I'm 45 kms shy of 100,000 kms and it still pulls like a train. (just run in for a bmw motor)

If there is anything you want to know just ask.
  5. Very nice indeed, my father had one of those before he bit the bullet and bought a HP2S! He thought it was a great all-round bike and I agreed... very nice to ride.

Enjoy it mate, and take care of her!

- boingk
  6. Apparently it came with BMW bar risers. I wanted a slightly sportier riding position, so I lowered them. This was a popular topic on the Pelican Parts forums. Not sure if there is an actual difference, but at least it looks better. I'll have a closer look when I get back to the bike (been away for xmas)

Regarding exhausts - not sure if I'll spring for staintunes, they are worth 2k! I'm scouring ebay for a decent deal.
  7. If you want, Superunknown, I can ask my father what he put on his bike. He was very happy with both the sound and performance. He does not have the bike anymore but I'm sure he'll remember.

Cheers - boingk
  8. What a nice LOOKING bike; it's a unified design, if that makes sense. Hope you get at least as many happy miles out of your's as smee has out of his!
  9. nice enjoy it!
  10. Very nice. One day I'll get a Beemer !!!!!
  11. Hell yeah. I have seen one of them doing stuff that I've never seen done on another bike. They stick to the road like they're glued there.
  12. Thanks Boingk - it would be useful to have a few recommendations.

Fitted my starcom intercom today, used the space for the puncture repair kit, as it is sealed and close to the battery. Pretty much ideal actually.

Also came across a very dirty air filter which was promptly replaced. The mechanic seems to have neglected to check this filter when I asked him to do a check & service of the bike, probably because the fairing is a rather large pain to remove. I've marked the new one so next time I'll ask the mechanic to show me my marked filter to prove he's replaced it.

After removing the fairing the thought crossed my mind to convert it to a naked rat-bike thing but that might just be laziness, although it would look awesome.

IMG_7277_resized by superunknown II, on Flickr

IMG_7281_resized by superunknown II, on Flickr

ps, did I get 1st post of 2012 (daylight savings at least).
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Get a belly pan to complete the look.
  14. I like the "new" (well, nearly 20 years old now :D) boxers. Loved my R1100RT although I'd have preferred an S. Had a go on a mate's S on one occasion and found the gearbox (K=Series derived I believe) to be vastly superior to the RT's but, riding position apart, I found the two bikes to be remarkably similar in feel otherwise.

Can't really offer much in the way of practical advice. The fuel filter is a pain to get to, being a fairing and tank off job, so it might be worth replacing now 'cos I'll bet it hasn't been done. Then, if you use clean fuel you might be able to forget about it for the next 50,000 km.

Once you get used to it, the Telelever/Paralever suspension is superb. You can have fun outbraking sports bikes into corners. Seriously, you can brake what would be suicidally deep on anything with conventional teles and the bike remains stable and unflustered. Yes, even on a 300 kg tourer with a modestly skilled fat bastard on board :twisted:.

Just allow maybe 5000 km acclimatisation and you'll find yourself wondering why all bikes aren't built like this :D.
  15. Thats part of the reason I buy reusable filters - I wash them, reuse them and do it all myself. Bugger paying $30+ for a paper element and then somone elses labour costs when you can do it yourself at home, much the same with oil changes and valve clearances - on a BMW twin you have little excuse for not doing your clearances yourself as the heads are probably the easiest to get at of any bike.

My father is nightshifting this week but will be able to call him tomorrow or next and see what exhaust he had on his bike. Funny you liked the plastic-off look of it... so did my Dad!

Good to hear you're taking care of her... also check the driveshaft oil level and condition if you feel up to it as its a simple check that can save a lot of hassle and expense. If its anything like my GS850 then it'll take you only 10 minutes or so after a ride.

Cheers - boingk
  16. Make sure you get an accessory socket fitted and get a trickle charger if you need it to keep the battery fresh, a flat battery is a major job to remove if you just want to charge it up.
  17. Awesome bike. (y)
  18. smee - I believe it can be charged in situ and isn't actually that bad to remove... although I could easily be confusing it with my Dads aforementioned HP2.

- boingk
  19. No the battery sits under the fuel tank. in order to get to it all the fairings must be removed, then the air snorkel has to be unbolted in order to get to the bolts to undo the fuel tank, tank has to be raised in order to remove/charge the battery
    I'm not sure how the hp2 is configured.
  20. I've ordered a tribo-seat cover for the pillion seat because apparently it is very slippery. Also grabbed a tool roll so that I can consolidate the tool kit. At the moment all the tools are neatly displayed in a massive waste-of-space plastic clip thing that BMW provides.

Will have a look this weekend. The fuel filter PatB mentioned will have to wait until I'm enthusiastic enough again to take the fairings off again.

Done that, thanks for the heads up tho. Accessing the battery is not a job I'm keen for on the roadside or when I'm in a hurry.

I am very impressed with the suspension. Last weekend I went for a blast up the Mac Pass and while I wasn't yet confident to really rip into the corners, I was was moving at a fair clip very easily. She performs especially well in the slow heavily rutted/potholed corners.

For those of you who have experience with air cooled engines, what is protocol in heavy traffic? Avoid? The manual states explicitly that you should not allow the bike to warm up stationary but rather ride gently to avoid overheating. Would the occasional peak hour commute (into Sydney CBD) be asking too much of the engine? I've noticed a bit of a smell when she does get hot after a few minutes waiting at a traffic lights. It's not causing me concern, but it feels like even that is approaching the limit of comfort, but maybe I am babying the engine a little.