Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My bike went BANG!!!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by spadamasta, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

So I was riding my Spada home from work and coming up to some traffic lights and my bike made a noise like a backfire (scared the hell out of me), I stopped at the lights and it had stalled. I started it again and rode off, but it was very jumpy so I turned into a side street and as soon as I put the clutch in the revs go straight down and it stalls again.

So I start it again and ride off and there seems to be a lot of trouble getting revs to go above 4000 and then suddenly it will take off and I'll have to gear up, but I put the clutch in and the Revs disappear again. So I got home basically by having throttle on full and Revs of around 4000 until it stalls again and I had to walk it the rest of the way home.

On my driveway it starts ok but it won't idle it just stalls.

I have my P's test on the 13th of November and I have no bike!!! Any idea what is wrong with it, and how much it would cost to fix?
  2. It's running on 1 cylinder.

Could be fuelling or ignition issue, or could be needing a rebuild.

Without hearing it or seeing it one cannot be sure how serious the problem is.
  3. Backfire? hopefully it hasn't dropped a valve. Get the sparks out, no problems, take the head off and see what the story is.
  4. Or just compression test it, you will soon know if it dropped a valve.
    If it did drop a valve, it would be noisy, and backfiring through the carby or exhaust on every stroke that cylinder fires.
  5. Could be something as simple as one of the spark plugs has blown out of the head. Check that they're both still there
  6. +1
  7. True, it could be any number of things.