Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My bike was beeping at me (overheating?)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ryan_a, Mar 20, 2008.

1. Hoyo people,

When I rode my new bike home (kwaka 2008 250 ninja), in 40 degree heat, it was a bit of stop and start, and a couple of long waits at red lights (where I nearly died of heat stroke in the leathers).

When I'd go to take off in first gear, it'd get to about 4k RPM and the bike would go 'beeeeeeep'. I can't remember if the temperature light came on, and I've RTFM and can't find anything about the beeping.

Is it possible the bike was overheating from sitting at the lights? The manual does say 'don't let it idle for more than 5 minutes' and I reckon I was at some red lights for about 2.

Would this be normal operation? Do people turn off their bikes at the lights on hot days?

I've done quite a bit of riding since I got it a few days ago (at night) and it hasn't beeped at me since.

Anyway, thanks in advance :)

2. You had your thumb on the horn button :roll:

Sorry mate don't actually know :p
  3. Hehe, no the horn button is for scaring the crap out of me when I'm trying to use the indicators :p
  4. Its not a rev indicator is it ??

There is someone else on another forum asking about a beeping ZX250 as well.. ??
  5. silly question, but was it a *BBBEEEP* or more of a whining noise? sort of high pitched?
  6. It was an electronic beep, I called the dealership and told them about it, asking if it could be heat related and their question was "how hard are you riding it?" and I said "as hard as you said, not over 6kRPM".

I'll go through the manual again to make sure I didn't miss something, if that fails I'll call Kawasaki Australia and bug them :)

It hasn't happened since, 210km on the clock now :) :) :) :LOL:
  7. Hehe, I used to do the same thing all the time. Indicate to get around someone but instead blast them with my horn... then sheepishly pass them and watch them wonder what they did.

Anyway, so that this post isn't pointless, have a look at this: http://www.kawiforums.com/showthread.php?t=102994 - but the general gist is that it's pressure from the gas tank, which makes a sound similar to a beep. Not sure if I believe it or not, but worth a shot?

Hope it helps :]
  8. Yeah, thats what I was going to suggest. Mine is an '06 but it does it as well, however its more of a slower leak, hence a whine. The newer ones seem to build up then release it faster, in more of a beep sound :>
  9. I'm no chemanic but......

By turning your engine off aren't you making the problem worse as it's now a hot block of metal?
    Once the engine is off, there is no water pump to aid in the cooling. No thermo fans to kick in to assist either.
  10. Thanks guys for the response - and thanks for the link to those threads! Vic I think you're right, turning off the engine is a bad move. Just got back from another ride and the bike hasn't beeped at me since :)

It's in a FAQ for the older bikes too: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Why_does_my_gas_tank_sometimes_whine_when_I_stop?

So it's fuel expanding in the tank, and being released by a valve, interesting!
  11. Absolutely correct!

Gotta keep that coolant movin', movin' movin' movin'

If you can, or wherever you can, on a hot to overheating day coast with the engine still idling...

Trevor G
  12. More importantly, did the auxiliary fan kick in?
  13. Don't know about the GPX, but on both the other Kwakas we have, the fan will run with the ignition switch off.

But leave the bike idling in traffic. You never know when you will have to move.
  14. I agree with GG. Keep it running for your own safety.
  15. However, it will only be cooling down the water in the radiator - you will be relying on convection and heat transfer, as opposed to brute mass flow around the cylinders.
    (It's a process known as "heat soak")

From an elementary understanding of the mechanics involved, it seems that once mdot stops flowing through the system (mass flow of water around the cylinder heads, the surrounding water heats up to an equilibrium with the cylinder walls. the rise of temperature in the outer cylinder walls causes a direct expansion to the system. At the same time, oil "spalshing" underside the piston ceases, and the remaining oil on the underside reached equilibrium with the piston, and the raise of temperatures on the underside of the piston causes expansion within the piston material.

That is my understanding of the process, I am open to correction, however.

As a tip from an old mechanic, if the motor is overheating, get a garden hose and squirt it through the radiator. it'll get the electrics wet and underside wet (from the fan), but liquid-liquid heat transfer is significantly more efficient then water/air transfer

Also, another tip if you are in the cage - turn the heater on full, fan on full, and open the windows, you'll be hot and bothered, but you'll help put off overheating that bit longer. (I'll take a hot flush over a complete/top end rebuild, thankyou)