Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My bike keeps stalling?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by barts, Jul 27, 2007.

1. hello, I picked up an RS250 and am having trouble with it stalling.

When it's dead cold, like first thing in the morning it starts up pretty easy, but then after it warms up a bit and I take off, without fail 5 minutes in to the ride if I pull up at a set of lights or something it stallson me and then the only way I can get it started again is pushing starting it.

it doesn't matter if I have the choke on or not, I get nothing - apart from giving the old legs a good work out it's a pain as well as being embarrassing!

One night this week I had a bit of a run where it just kept stalling on me.

Any thoughts?

2. fuel/oil or air/fuel mixture.
    get the carbs done.

edit- that wasnt very helpful of me, i'll explain a little.
    it sounds to me like it is running too rich (too much fuel-not enough air) which explains why it starts well (because running rich is effectively choking the engine just as the choke is used to start it), but upon warming, it stalls.
    if it is abnormally smokey, then you need to look at your fuel/oil mixture whether it is premix modded, or running from the oil resevoir. but....if it is running too much oil in the mix, you will foul your plugs, which pretty much makes the bike stop.
    the carb mixture screw isnt the only thing that affects your air/fuel ratio though. a blocked air filter, malfunctioning reed/power valve, incorrect jets and many other reasons.
    i'd start by checking the air filter element, and depending on your mechanical knowledge either pull the carbs out for a clean/kit or take it to a mechanic.
  3. Cheers Joel - it does smoke heaps, but 'cos I don't really know much about two stroker I just thought that's how they are?

I reckon I can just the air filter, but I might leave the rest to the mechanics! Ask me to break something and consider it broken, ask me to fix it and you can consider it broken!
  4. yeah, they do smoke heaps. thats why you gotta know your bike when it is running right, so you have a control to compare it with.
    if it is an oil problem, and the plugs are getting fouled, generally it will take the removal and clean (or replacement) of the plugs to get it firing again. because you can push-start it, i am leaning towards rich air/fuel (no pun intended).
    easy test for excess oil in mix - hold your hand over the ehxaust (an inch from the hot bit though :LOL: ) when running and give it a couple of revs. if you get a splatter of oil on your hands, this is a dead giveaway of too much oil.
    what happens when it is just running too rich, is that at good revs, it will run, though with less punch than it should, and upon letting it idle it effectively floods itself. then your forceful starting with the pushing brings the revs up to a point where it will eject the mispent fuel out the exhaust and begin firing when the ratio is near enough for an explosion.
  5. Good advice from joel.

I'd add that a reasonably modern stroker on good quality oil shouldn't smoke much.

You might need to use better oil and it would be worth getting the oil pump setting checked while you're at it. Over oiling would give the plugs a hard time and could go some way to explaining the starting problems.
  6. OK thanks, I'll give it a try in the morning.

I saw that Holmesglen TAFE has a short course in motorcycle maintenance, it might be worth it - nothing worse than paying someone to do something that you could do yourself if shown.

Cheers heaps for all the help guys.
  7. I'm guessing that Holmesglen will cover 4 stroke bikes rather than 2 strokes, but it's best to ask them before you do the course :)

Can you get your plugs out to see if they are fouled up or not? Do you know if your battery is in good condition (good voltage level), did you or someone play with the idle screw?

A stroker will normally smoke a little on startup, once the engine warms up it should be fine and not smoke much at all.

How hard/easy is it for you to start the bike up, can you push the kick start lever with your hand without any resistance? That's a sign that your top end needs redoing.

If you're on the east side of Melb, shoot me a PM, I can have a quick look at it.
  8. I haven't done it, but I should be able to get the spark plugs out (as long as I can find the right sized socket somewhere), but if the plugs were fouled wouldn't that make it hard to start regardless?

I did think about the battery, but again if it was causing a weak spark then it wouldn't be as easy to start dead cold as it is either - I can kick start her by hand or foot, but by hand means I've got to push it down with a bit of force to start it, I wouldn't say there was no resistance.

As far as playing around with the idle screw, not me - I on't even know where it is (I haven't looked for it I mean), so if it has been touched, then I would assume the guys at the shop where I got it might have?

I'm going to have a read of my manual before I have to go to footy this morning to see what goes where and have a quick look - if you're happy though, I might take you up on your offer, I'm in the SE Subs, but I'll PM you.
  9. Hi guys, well I checked the air filter, and it was a bit dirty, but nothing too bad.

I put her back together again and started her up and put my hand in front of the exhaust pipes and gave it a rev (which wasn't as easy as I made that sound), but I didn't get an oil spitting on me?

I also had a look at the battery voltage as according to the digital display, before startingg she was at 12, and when I revved it she went up to just over 14, then started stalling again and after trying to kick start her she went down to about 10.5, but then came good again?

I don't know how acurate the display is but I don't have a multimeter (which I probably should get), but I did notice that at the base of the battery it was wet - I don't know if that was exisitng mositure, or oil or what?

I'm going to try and check the plugs tomorrow when I get down to Repco to pick up some goodies (I'll probably get a set of plugs anyway) and see what happens.

Anything else I should check?

Cheers guys.
  10. See if you can find the source of that "liquid" and try to not get it on your hands......it could be the battery is leaking its guts and that is acid.

Definitely dry off the area, see if there are any holes in your battery holder that can allow liquid in from somewhere.

Based on what you told us, it sounds a bit like fouled plugs, wait and see what your plugs look like.