Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My bike is sliding.....

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Sweeris, Sep 14, 2007.

1. This morning I was just around the corner from work(Turning on to Atherton rd). It was pretty wet as it just rained. I went in to the intersection going to do a left turn(the lights was still green when I approached the intersection). I slowed down to less then my normal cornering speed (since it's wet). Then started the turn normally (in the wet). About 2/3 way through the turn I'd probably put on half of the throtle and I felt something wasnt right.

I saw the center line approching me from the side :? and my bike was pointing in the right direction... Then I heard the rev incresing but my bike wasnt accelerating. My thought came up "hang on this isnt right". As I finished the turn the back felt like it kept going towards the line. All this happened in a split second. So I backed of the throtle and I got a wigle from the back.

My work place was only about 50m away from that interscetion. It would been bad to stack there. On the bright side I dont have far to walk to work...

In the end im just not sure why the back end just decided to let go. I did the turn normally for wet conditions. Before the turn I looked for signs of oil and crap on the road but I could have missed puddles of water. For puddles of water I got heaps of tread left in my tires so it shouldnt cause the problem.

What went wrong? why did the back step out? Did I miss something or did something wrong?
  2. sounds like the back just steped out as you applied the gas :)
  3. Lol at the confusion mid-corner.

But anyway, a couple of things, spinning the rear up in the wet isn't out of the ordinary. It comes from too much throttle for the lean and/or tyres, change in surface (white lines, white lines that have been painted black, man hole covers, oil, etc), jerky throttle or poor tyres. Having tread doesnt mean a thing, your tyres could be crap to start with or have just gone hard over time.
  4. Too much throttle, tiniest bit of fuel, run over the white stripes of death... Could be anything, really.

Hard to not do, but try to not chop the throttle if the back let's go. The sudden traction is what causes high-sides. :shock:
  5. Sounds like a normal event on a wet road, mate...
    You can't see the slippery stuff alot of the time, and it's necessary to feel your way through corners...
    The good thing is...you eventually recognized that you were into an easy tail slide before you spun out completely.

Backing off the throttle is dangerous, as it can highside you if the tyre suddenly gets traction again, but being wet, it was more forgiving. As was said...best not to do it, but it's a hard thing to train yourself out of. Just maintain throttle, but get off the power a little, and it will be safer.

Fluid leaks can settle into the road surface, and the first rain tends to bring them back out, where they lay on the surface again...sometimes you may even see what appears to be "soapy" water (may even have bubbles or suds)...this is the oil and petrol from cars weeping back out of the surface of the road.

Beware the first day of rain, or when it just spits a little, after a week or more of fine hot weather. THAT is the worse time to be out on a wet/damp road....especially where oil etc tend to congregate.
  6. After few times of those it becomes fun too ! There is a roudabout in mordialloc which *always* slide the rear on the gas, wet or dry :grin:
  8. As a general rule - Yes, mate...rather than shutting of the throttles completely, and depending on the nature and extent of the tail slide, you ideally want to just ease of the throttles a little....If you are'nt hard on the gas and it slides a bit, you might get away with just maintaining your throttle.
  9. I;d just came back from lunch and when I was just walking past the intersection I saw a car slide on the very same corner in the same condition(raining). I think its the surface of the road which isnt really good.
  10. Intersection + rain = super slippery fun time!

Edit: I know chopping the throttle is a no-no, but what about picking up the bike if this happens while turning (if safe to do so)? Is this also something you should avoid doing, or is it what you should be doing a little while backing off the throttle slightly?
  11. For every bit that you pick the bike up you should wind on some more throttle if you're already in a slide. Suddenly picking the bike up gives near the same effect as chopping the throttle I have found... sudden regain of traction.

Just keep it open (not right open), let the bike do the steering (loose on the bars!), and let the bike speed catch up to the wheel speed.
  12. Try to stay on the middles of your tyres as well, thats where the most traction is.

Also its more slippery after a little bit of rain, if you live in a place like townsville, cairns etc torrential rain will wash the oil off the road and it will be fairly sticky compared to normal drizzle.
  13. I've had the same thing around a couple of corners, in both cases due to my own stupidity, both in the dry...

- the first time I broke the rule of not shifting mid corner, I did it anticipating one of my favorite straights, back flung out then came back in line again

- second time I gave it everything from a standing start taking a right turn at a T intersection, max revs plus changing from 1st to 2nd and I felt the back wander a bit

both cases would no doubt make higher capacity riders cringe, now the whole "ride a 250 when your learning" thing makes sense... more power/weight = less forgiving... although no doubt its also part of the parcel if you want to ride hard / in the wet.

Just a question, am I right in assuming, in the situation where the back is sliding mid corner:
    front brake = high chance of lowside stack
    rear brake = high chance of highside stack
    therefore don't use brakes?
  14. Other way around. Back brake will easily lock a rear when it's already lost traction, and with you having scared the shit outta yaself, it's not likely to be a gentle application. = lowside.

Front brake = rolling burnout (bike takes longer to catch up to rear wheel speed) if you keep on the throttle, or potential highside if you chop the throttle.

I'm not sure why you're even thinking about brakes in this situation. Last thing you want to do.
  15. just reaffirming what I thought I was told in training, which was "don't brake in corners... if you really really have to, use a little back brake" (in normal cornering not sliding) I guess something that could cause the instinct to brake might be if your about to say, run into a tree...
  16. Powerslide? :cool: