Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My bike cut out, I'm so glad it did

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Valkrider, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Some of you might be aware that I live in the English countryside. The roads around here are quite narrow.
    I went out on the Valkyrie yesterday and was on a hedge lined country road that rises up slightly and then has a long sweeping left hand bend, which is fantastic when you can open the old girl up.

About a 1/4 mile before this bend, my Valk suddenly died and I came to a stop. As soon as I pressed the starter button she fired back into life.

How strange I thought.

Just before I got to the bend an 18 wheeler came chugging around towards me at about 40mph, taking up the whole road.

If my Valk hadn't of cut out I would have probably been a mascot on the front of that truck.

The reason it cut out was a dodgy connection on the alarm which is sorted now.

I'm one lucky guy.
    • Like Like x 13
    • Winner Winner x 13
    • Agree Agree x 4
  2. Buy yourself a lottery ticket..
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. When I lived in Newcastle-Upon-Tyne A gentleman I worked with did that but, it was a tractor with a harrow. Glad to read about the positive outcome for you mate.
  4. Serendipity. Good result.
  5. Nah - Stay away from lottery tickets - it's a waste of money - even more so now that you've already used up a large portion of your luck. ;)
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. I don't know you, but I am glad to be reading from you. things happen for a reason!! and yes, the faulty alarm wire is one :)
  7. Made me think, When I lived there a bit over a decade ago, there was an advertisement specifically about this sort of thing on c roads and the like. Be buggered if I can find it, although I did find this one I remember

• Like Like x 4
  8. Made me think of this one. The slow mo shows his hands right off the bars.

9. lol if you told me that without the video, I would never of believed it.
  10. Now I'm ready to buy a lottery ticket! Just seeing a safety add about motorcycles showing a whole lot of hazards - and nothing about speed being the real problem - that's gotta be slimmer odds than winning Tatslotto!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I remember one in the MCN years ago when they used to document accidents. A bike could see above the low hedge row entering a bend on a narrow country lane, unfortunately the Lotus Esprit coming the other way sat beneath that hedge row.

Always gave me the heebyjeebies that one.
  12. Your Valk was looking out for you .... Shes a keeper
    • Like Like x 1
  13. It's not the first time something has happened to me like this.
    A few months ago I had planned to drive to Belgium and back in a day, which is about a 500 mile round trip.

We were out the night before and got home about 10pm, all was good with the car.
    Went to leave the next morning at 3am and the alternator light stayed on.
    Left my car at home and took the wife mini mpv. Not very comfortable but did the journey ok.

I bought a new alternator and fitted it, two days and 30 miles later the back suspension collapsed on the nearside at 20mph.
    If I'd taken my car to Belgium I would have been driving at 85mph when the suspension went.

I've always said, if you're prevented from doing something, there's a reason for it.
  14. *makes note to never fly with ValkriderValkrider ........................................
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. No need to worry Thera, the chances of me getting on a plane is slim to f**k all.
    I get dizzy stood on the bottom stair. :wacky:

If ever I get the chance to visit Oz I'll have a box of vallium, some strong vodka and a defib handy.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. You owe that bike a complete rebuild and another go around the clock !!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Repeat after me...

Carry on Parachute.

Carry on Parachute.

and an emergency exit seat.
  18. A lucky bike will save your life - for sure
    • Agree Agree x 1