Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My 1999 Ducati 996 project

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by robt, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Hi guys, Rob from Geelong here.
    Haven't been around here much so I thought I would share something about myself.
    Late last year I sold my Dayt 675 for something I could rebuild. I came across a repairable writeoff Ducati 996 with a bent headstock. The previous owner bought it to rebuild and never got around to doing it. He spent a lot of money on it though, buying everything needed to do the rebuild, like a near new 996sps frame from the states. The engine has done a genuine 15000ks too. It came semi assembled but I stripped it down and the frame and wheels are getting sandblasted and painted in the next week. I am also repairing all the fairings myself. I was going to get some Chinese copies but why devalue it? I need a few things like an oil cooler and stuff but I am in no hurry. Its the process more than the finished product I love. And I love being meticulous.
    I will keep updating this as progress happens.
    Anyways enjoy the pics.
    lYiOatO.
    m2HAAsn.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Nice project. Still love the 916/996/998 :)

3. Sounds like a fun project. Keep up the photos!
    You can't go wrong with a Tamburini Ducati. They have the most classic shape and in my opinion, handle the best of any bike! Then again, I am a bit bias!!

4. Well I had track gixxer with Ohlins etc. Then a D675. Handling is my thing. Can't wait to hear the open pipes.

5. If handling is your thing, sounds like you need to put Ohlins on your 996 as well. They do come up on ebay at the right price every now and again - particularly from the USA.
    The Ohlins do improve the handling.

6. Great bike. Great project. Like your garage setup as well;-)

cheers
    ian

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Looking good! Good shed setup too, nicely laid out.

8. Cheers. Wheels stripped. I found gold under black. Spraying gold again.

Attached Files:

9. IMAG0213. Wheels painted :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Nice project. How are you going to go about with the headstock? Or is this project going to be track spec only?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. I've got a spare frame. I'm going to get it a new vin. Gotta get it certified by an engineer.

12. Frame is nice. How do you go about getting a new VIN etc?

13. VIN will be like this:
    Light vehiclesA Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) certificate from a recognised VicRoads Vehicle Assessment Signatory and a VicRoads inspection and a weighbridge certificate is required if the body of the light vehicle has changed or a replacement frame has been issued for motorcycle or chasis replacement on a vehicle that has a separate chassis. A Change of Description form must also be completed.

Due to it being un-modified and with a receipt I can get it registered.

14. #15 robt, Jul 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  15. Its been a while but I've finished my 996. It started first time.
    WP_20150613_11_19_37_Pro.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I just need a couple of mirrors and its done.
    2015-05-02 16.09.38. 20150502_140206-01.

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. Wonderful.

18. Very tidy. What was the cost of the VIN / Engineers report in the end? Any problems?

19. Its not registered yet but will be around 2k. Considering I spent under 1k to rebuild it it's not too bad.