Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

My 13 year old son wants to get into Motocross....

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' at netrider.net.au started by Weasel, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Much to my wife's disdain, my 13 year old son has been unduly influenced by his dear old Dad and has discovered a new-found passion for everything related to motorcycles. He now rides a 1995 Suzuki RM 80 after commencing his riding career on a Honda Elsinore MR 50.

Alas, he's decided that he now wants to go Motocross racing....

Does anyone happen to know what category or class he'd be eligible to compete in for his age group/bike?

He's not out to decimate the competition or necessarily become the next Chad Reed - he just merely wants to have fun with like-minded souls on his bike and he says he doesn't mind running at the back of the field trying to follow the lines of the more experienced and faster riders in order to improve his own skills etc.

Unfortunately my own racing experience is limited to bouts of dutch courage taking on my mates on regular weekend blasts through the Adelaide Hills! LOL

Cheers,

Weasel
    :biker:
    "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul...."

2. Don't know what state your in, but THIS LINK will give you a start.

If not in Vic there are links to your state.

Find a club in your area, you will need to register with chosen club to race etc.
    Will be put in C grade for age level.

Hope that helps

3. Thanks for this Charmed, the site is dynamite in terms of general info!

Cheers,

Weasel

4. Weasal Dandenong MCC is a good place to start. Where are you based??

5. Afraid I'm in Adelaide! I've had a look at the entry list for a recent race meeting held at Victor Harbor (about 45 minutes to an hour from my home) and it appears that most of the riders in my son's age group are either competing on 85cc two strokes or 80cc four strokes.

As his current bike is a 1995 Suzuki RM 80 two stroke, would he be eligible to compete on this particular bike?

Cheers,

Weasel

6. I would be afraid to be Adelaide as well! I will be there this week for work, but I strongly suggest getting involved with a club and us their expertise. All the best mate standing around wet motocross tracks in July is fun! :LOL:

7. Huh yeah right only time tracks have been wet this year is when they hold racing for 15 mins to water the track. 5 mins later its all dry & dusty again.

:LOL:

Weasel , no problem, just sing out if you require more info.

8. That's a fantastic attitude from such a young bloke. He'll go far i bet!

Best thing to do is get out to the track and speak to the guys racing there. There'll be plenty of dads who'd love to tell you all about their sons (or daughters) racing! You're kid will love it too.

9. Took my boyzz mx racing for a while, when they were young teenagers. Great family bonding stuff and , like any sport, it teaches then so many skills that stay with them for life.

10. forgot to add.
    www.motorcyclingsa.org.au
    Will give you a list of mx clubs
    Otherwise go to the motorcycling australia web site.
    Ask for advice. They will put you in contact with a suitable club in your area.